• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Regarding my comment in the Creep Train thread.

Since this was supposed to be a discussion thread, how about choosing a style you like and talking about it?

I'll start with Metalcore.

The term metalcore is a combination of Hardcore and Metal, and is also known as Hardcore Metal. The style combines the singing, guitar and drum playing of hardcore with the singing, guitar and drum playing of metal.

The stereotypical metalcore band has a harsh singer that does the screaming and growling vocals, a clean singer that plays either lead or rhythm guitar, another guitarist, a bassist and a drummer.

The drummer usually has a single mounted tom and two floor toms, with a double bass pedal attached to the main pedal with a slave rod. Double bass drums are quite uncommon and are usually found in death and black metal.

Most of the people who know nothing about it call this music "screamo" but this is very inaccurate and doesn't give information as to how the music sounds. They could be describing a death metal band as "screamo" when you believe they are describing a metalcore band.
tl;dr "screamo" is not a word that is accurate or "politically correct"

Calling metalcore "screamo" is on par with calling everything else "singo"

But i digress.

This music is quite complex with the change between singers and the singer's ability to play guitar and sing at the same time. Having recieved the opinion of a muso friend, this is difficult to pull off.

One of my favourite bands in this genre, The Devil Wears Prada, has a drummer who utilises amazing skills to pull off complex and quick fills that sound incredible. He has inspired me as a drummer, how this is relevant, i don't know, but whatever.

One of the best parts in this genre is the band's ability to play two distinct styles within one song. This sounds really good when the metal singer has a great voice, which they typically do.

So now, over to you. Pick a style/genre and talk about it :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hate classifying things into genres, because quite simply there isn't a single "genre" I enjoy on the whole (That said there are genres I *don't* enjoy on the whole).

When I was younger my musical exposure was basically my parents musical taste, I didn't really like any popular music at all.
So I grew up listening to things like
Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, The Kinks, Creedence, The Animals
Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Julie London
Thompson Twins, Tears for Fears, New Order

I did discover and listen to bands I'd discovered on my own, Manic Street Preachers, The Prodigy, Space, Madness, King Crimson etc

Then when I hit secondary school I started listening to more metal like
Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Cathedral, Carcass, Venom, Testament, Kreator, My Dying Bride, Emperor.

My enjoyment from metal was mostly to do with enjoying the aggression (I was of course an angry teenager) and guitar-smitthing, to be honest I was for at least 2 years in school the only "mosher". I enjoyed the individuality.

Then when everything got **** (new heavily commercial metal bands appealing to 9 year olds etc) my appreciation for metal soured. I reverted back to the music that was the basis for my musical taste.

Then I basically became closed off musically for at least...say 5 years.
That was until a close friend invited me to join his band and I started guitarring a bit more, he introduced me to some new bands, Bloc Party, Biffy Clyro, Muse that I started enjoying. I've discovered more bands since then but I'm still (really) very closed minded when it comes to music. I like good, interesting, varied music and musical knowledge makes me very difficult to please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hate classifying things into genres, because quite simply there isn't a single "genre" I enjoy on the whole (That said there are genres I *don't* enjoy on the whole).

When I was younger my musical exposure was basically my parents musical taste, I didn't really like any popular music at all.
So I grew up listening to things like
Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, The Kinks, Creedence, The Animals
Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Julie London
Thompson Twins, Tears for Fears, New Order

I did discover and listen to bands I'd discovered on my own, Manic Street Preachers, The Prodigy, Space, Madness, King Crimson etc

Then when I hit secondary school I started listening to more metal like
Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Cathedral, Carcass, Venom, Testament, Kreator, My Dying Bride, Emperor.

My enjoyment from metal was mostly to do with enjoying the aggression (I was of course an angry teenager) and guitar-smitthing, to be honest I was for at least 2 years in school the only "mosher". I enjoyed the individuality.

Then when everything got **** (new heavily commercial metal bands appealing to 9 year olds etc) my appreciation for metal soured. I reverted back to the music that was the basis for my musical taste.

Then I basically became closed off musically for at least...say 5 years.
That was until a close friend invited me to join his band and I started guitarring a bit more, he introduced me to some new bands, Bloc Party, Biffy Clyro, Muse that I started enjoying. I've discovered more bands since then but I'm still (really) very closed minded when it comes to music. I like good, interesting, varied music and musical knowledge makes me very difficult to please.

That's what i'm talking about!

I like your taste in music, and my parents also influenced my early music taste.

John Denver, Meatloaf and the Top Gun soundtrack to name a few.

I'd have to say new metal is pretty zhit, though you do find the occasional band that is good. I have to say that Iron Maiden has been consistently awesome for the 30 years they've been active. I'm looking forward to their new album "The Final Frontier" out this year.

One of my other favourite bands is Cradle of Filth. While their new albums don't compare to their old ones, old Cradle is really good.

Talking about musicianship, i am a musician too. Though i play drums on my expensive and large kit, i mainly play simple rock and metal beats, and jazz beats my uncle taught me. My drum teacher is the father of Behind Crimson Eyes' new drummer; a fact i never tire of telling people. :D

Man, i've gotta get me some've that Trip-hop dex was talking about.

Upvote 0
the same reason most americans don't listen to breaks or DnB. it's not "normal". :rolleyes:

The lack of a proper D'n'B scene I have always thought has got a lot to do with the relatively small Jamaican communities (compared to other communities) in inner cities in the US. A lot of D'n'B grew out of Jungle which was basically just 'rave went to Brixton'.

Upvote 0
The lack of a proper D'n'B scene I have always thought has got a lot to do with the relatively small Jamaican communities (compared to other communities) in inner cities in the US. A lot of D'n'B grew out of Jungle which was basically just 'rave went to Brixton'.

that's true, but certain types of music always originate somewhere and then spread to other places.

DnB has been shunned by the US media simply because it doesn't require some sort of exploitable singing money making **** to put on the front of album covers. our country's media cares about money, not quality of music.

there's also the fact that the people here are brainwashed to only accept music that has been deemed "normal" by the american media machine.

only people like me can listen to it and not care that people find that weird. i like being individual.

Upvote 0
Sheepdip there always has been quality metal in the underground although i have to say that the last few years saw an increase in proper metal styles. From the retro thrash movement to the come back of old school death metal.

Yeah I know, but I don't have the energy for it anymore. I still listen to Cathedral, Megadeth, most Metallica, some Carcass and some other stuff but it doesn't resonate with me the way it used to and I have to be in the mood.

Give me some Al Stewart anyday.

Upvote 0
I'd like to smarsh the music exec who came up with the term 'trip-hop'

trip hop usually sounds very trippy. its not your normal hiphop/rap stuff, meaning, its not so focused on sounding tough or hard. trip hop is more into sounding chill, trippy, mellow with a bit of hip hop influence..

heres something from one of the more popular trip hop groups, Portishead, great bass:

YouTube - Portishead - All mine

Upvote 0
Oh I.. I'm very much aware of what it encompasses as a sub-genre, but still, it's a very weak 'label' or 'name' created by some suit wearing exec. 'Trip-hop' is nothing new (not saying you thought it was) as they have been using that term since I was a late teen. It's nothing against the music itself (I happen to own a ton of what would be called 'trip-hop'), but rather a slam at the industry's attempt to make something sound cool and hip.

I'm a big listener of music (I have a massive collection.. LP's, tapes, CD's, digital tracks etc.) and I don't pay much attention to what genres the industry thinks a certain 'sound profile' falls into.. so when I hear someone say they listen to a particular genre, or 'such and such genre is where it's at' instead of talking about a specific artist, it always makes me chortle. No offense.

Upvote 0
so when I hear someone say they listen to a particular genre, or 'such and such genre is where it's at' instead of talking about a specific artist, it always makes me chortle. No offense.

so listing your favorite genres is frowned upon.. when i say i listen to black metal or whatever, im not thinking about the economics behind it, im talking about the literal, most basic element of it, the genre itself. if you want to think that trip hop was a term coined so they could make coin, then you are mistaken - trip hop is not a big money grosser. neither is shoegaze. but if you want to think that the name is so genius that its raking in the big bucks, then alright :S

on a different note - id rather list a genre instead of playing the look who i know game where i make a big list of every band ive liked. not that im against doing that, i just dont have the energy and cant be arsed. when i was into the Plasmatics and GISM, sure, i wouldve said, "bla bla screw genres, its just a label to get media attention and increase sales!", but now i just dont care. everyone sells out in some way, so why bother myself with trying to act like im above everyone.

Upvote 0
Ahh, I'm afraid you misunderstood.. my opinion on sub-genres has very little to do with an economic aspect, 'selling out' or feeling above anyone else for that matter (as fruitful an endeavor as that usually turns out to be). It's more along the lines of growing tired of the endless slicing down of a larger genre into tiny little bits.. and to what end? Well, the one where people can separate and exclude on an even more infinitesimal level of course! :p

Listing your favorite genres isnt frowned upon, certainly not.. but why have 30 different sub-genres to differentiate between heavy metal that either has growling or no growling, death lyrics or speed riffs.. 15 different ways to say 'electronic music'.. Techno? Noooo, that's definately deep minimal house. What? You must be crazy, it has DnB elements throughout.. Well mate, I'd call that acid.. etc. etc.

It's overkill is what it is. Not to mention the sub-genre names they come up with usually have nothing to do with the actual music that supposedly is defined by its new 'category'. Personally, I usually dont go further down than the main genre when explaining a particular type of music to another person. If they want to get a better feeling for what it is then they should just listen to it.

Yeah man, I heard this new group..
Well what is it?
They play gumshoecore-hop.. it's so sweet.

Chortle.

Upvote 0
Listing your favorite genres isnt frowned upon, certainly not.. but why have 30 different sub-genres to differentiate between heavy metal that either has growling or no growling, death lyrics or speed riffs.. 15 different ways to say 'electronic music'.. Techno? Noooo, that's definately deep minimal house. What? You must be crazy, it has DnB elements throughout.. Well mate, I'd call that acid.. etc. etc.

Im no expert on techno but when it comes to metal there are some very big difference between every major genre. Death and black metal have very different riffing, production, vocals and to an extend drumming styles.

Upvote 0
i think when you like a certain aspect of a genre so much, it deserves its own sub genre in your mind, thus we have Shoegaze, Trip Hop, Black Metal, Marital, Dub, etc. im positive that anyone outside of that circle would lump it under one big genre - all black, doom, death, trash, goth, goes under METAL! etc etc etc. but for someone who listens to these sub genres exclusively, it makes it alot easier to find other ppl who have the same special interest.

Upvote 0
i think when you like a certain aspect of a genre so much, it deserves its own sub genre in your mind, thus we have Shoegaze, Trip Hop, Black Metal, Marital, Dub, etc. im positive that anyone outside of that circle would lump it under one big genre - all black, doom, death, trash, goth, goes under METAL! etc etc etc. but for someone who listens to these sub genres exclusively, it makes it alot easier to find other ppl who have the same special interest.

So true, when i hear someone say "screamo" i rage inside.

The word "screamo" is used as an umbrella term that covers many different genres, the thing i get pissed off at is the fact that uninformed person could call a black metal band "screamo" and have me think they were in fact referring to a hardcore, metalcore, or death metal band.

Subgenres are very important.

If someone was to call all types of cars a "car" then things would become confusing. e.g.

"dude i got a new car"
"what kind of car?"
"dude, it's a car"
"but what kind of car"
"they all look the same"

Now having distinct subgenres, like Station Wagon, 4WD, ute, and so on helps distinguish what kind of car it is.

The same thing applies to music, and most importantly, metal.

Upvote 0