• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

7.62 x 39 -> 7.62 x 54 R

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
Ok well, went to a local gunshow and picked up a SVT 40 and Mosin.

So when I go to buy ammo, from the store. Much to my surprise cabelas here has not had a shipment of 7.62 x 54 R since about 30 seconds after Obama was voted in... no joke. There is not one @#$@#$ box or even bag of brass for 7.62 x 54R in any local store.

That rant aside, some place 4 hours drive away ( I'l be getting it shipped ) is still selling privi partizan 7.62 x 54 R.

However a small Idea came to me while trying to price out ammo, 7.62 x39 ammo is readily available in mil surp, 1120 rnds for 199$. So here is the plan:
1:buy the mil surp x39

2:use a bullet puller to get tips (usually 127 grain fmj)
3:collect the powder and using it to reload the privi 7.62 x 54 R brass

4: end up with cheap non corrosive ammo for plinking or varmiting...
(for the price of primers)

According to wiki most x39 is loaded with ssnf 50 powder, I have been unable so far to find what powder type is supposed to be in mil surp x 54. What I was considering doing was checking how many grains of powder was in a few rounds of the x39 in the case and adding a percentage of that to fill one x54 brass, or check the reloading book and go with the lowest load advised of any powder type for the bullet weight from the x39.

Does anyone know if there was a standard powder type for 7.62 x 54R, if so was it a slow/med/fast burn ?

Has anyone thought of or done this before and lived to tell the tale?

... or you could just order the x54R in the first place ...

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...se,-440-rd-tins-/cPath/12_42/products_id/1917

That's 440 round spam cans of Russian surplus from JG Sales. I've bought from them before. (Reminds me ... I need some 7.62 Nagant ammo and another spam can of x54R myself ... might get some 5.56 also ... and 7.62 NATO .... and ... and ... )

Incidentally, how much did you have to give for the SVT? (You lucky bastard ... I want one of those ... I think they might be illegal in California, though.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
495$ for the svt, same one last year at this show was 550$. I spoke with some buddies of mine last year after I got back from that show and they said they bought their SVT's for ~700 and that was a good deal...

yeah I WOULD like to order ammo from America as its everywhere in the states (google mil surp 7.62 x 54 R and the first 10 hits have sales of up to 9000 rounds :eek: ). However I am canadian. hence why I was ranting about how you americans have been endlessly buying ammo since you voted in mr presedente, and there hasnt been a shipment of this stuff to up here in a long time.

What I could do is go south of the border and buy some ammo and bring it back, on the canadian side this is legal and i can bring back up to 4000 rounds per person with a FAC/PAL. If caught doing this on the american side of the border your name gets added to the no fly list..

Just to give you an idea, up here mil surp 7.62 x 54 is 18$ a box of 20; I bought 2 boxes at the gunshow but dident bother buying more because i expected it to be in stores...

Upvote 0
Ahh ... didn't realize you were a maple leaf worshipper. Sorry! :p

And is that $495 -CANADIAN-?!?!?!?!?!?!

If it is ... I officially hate you now. I very badly want an SVT.

(And it's pretty damn pathetic if you can get one in Canada, but there's places in the US where a strict reading of the laws would make it illegal ... Removable Magazine + Bayo Lug + holes in the metal shroud for barrel cooling = illegal in California. :( )

Upvote 0
(And it's pretty damn pathetic if you can get one in Canada, but there's places in the US where a strict reading of the laws would make it illegal ... Removable Magazine + Bayo Lug + holes in the metal shroud for barrel cooling = illegal in California. :( )
:eek:
barrel-shroud.jpg

YouTube - What is a barrel shroud? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I don't think that would work- the slug for x54r is rather long as compared to a standard x39 slug, at least as I remember. Also, the diameters might not match up...

Mosins, at least, vary by a fair amount in actual diameter. I've seen .308 all the way up to .313. Slug the bore before you make any real decisions with respect to picking a diameter for reloads ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this was supposed to be just for plinking ammo, but I will definitely check the barrel diameter on the svt and mosin...

SVT40 and mosins both shoot the same round, 7.62x54r, unless youre unsure if the SVT40 is chambered in something else?!

edit: NVM! i had to read this twice:

Mosins, at least, vary by a fair amount in actual diameter. I've seen .308 all the way up to .313. Slug the bore before you make any real decisions with respect to picking a diameter for reloads ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0