• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Perk Idea - Scientist

Deathtyrant

Apr 21, 2010
Since the zombies were a result of a scientific experiment gone awry and since a backstory of one of the characters mentioned actually going to the field to help the soldiers contain the threat there should be a Scientist perk

He can use weapons if he likes but his real strength would be in crowd control with his vast arsenal of gadgets and concoctions decreasing the effectiveness of the specimens while augmenting the abilities of his/her teammates.

Weapons:
CS17 (Tier 1 weapon) - Primary weapon for the scientist, this was what was used to create the specimens in the first place but at lethal doses.

Primary fire - Fires much like the MP7, fares better on the smaller mobs such as Clots, crawlers, and stalkers, causes adverse effects on the specimen instantly creating tumors inside of the body which effectively destroys them
Secondary fire - Lethal dose, much like the bayonet on a rifle, this baby has a nasty needle on the end, uses the rest of the clip. Useful against fleshpounds and scrakes, basically heals Patriarch

(When the scientist sees a FP it would be wise to reload this weapon or pull out the next weapon in the arsenal)

DIG23 (Tier 2) - A drug designed to slow the heartbeat of the one receiving the injection

Primary fire - Fire into mobs to slow them down (Life saver on Raged FP)
Secondary fire - Inject into teammates to allow X seconds of little to no recoil

FF120 (Tier 3) - Upon further inspection of the cloning research, a weakness was discovered in one of the older specimen models, the one codenamed as "Scrake", this serum when implemented into the mind of the specimen will cause it to turn upon the other specimens in its immediate vicinity

Primary - Fire into Scrake, Scrake is stunned, at end of stun, will turn on specimens with chainsaw for X amount of time (depending on perk level)
Secondary - Unfortunately the Patriarch discovered this 'flaw' in his work and developed an immunity for his next line of specimens. The effect causes the specimen to remain still while the serum courses through its brain.

Perk abilities/levels

Since it IS a frail scientist not meant for combat situations I would suggest the amount of damage it takes per hit to be higher than the other classes

Perk level 0
- 150% damage taken (Does not include body armor)
- 10% more potent injections (This is basically damage increase for CS17/amount the specimen is slowed/recoil reduced
- 10% quicker injection implementation (When scrake is injected, stun time is effected/time for recoil effect to kick in/time for mob to slow down etc)
- 10% longer injection effect (The time that effect lasts)

Perk level 1
- 140% damage taken
- 25% more potent injection
- 25% quicker injection implementation
- 25% longer injection effect
- 10% chance CS17 will cause instant rupture in clots/gorefasts (Basically instant kill due to massive tumor expansion)

Perk level 2
- 130% damage taken
- 30% more potent injection
- 30% quicker injection
- 30% longer injection effect
- 15% chance CS17 will cause instant rupture ""
Perk level 3
- 125% damage taken
- 40% more potent injections
- 40% quicker injection
- 40% longer injection effect
- 20% chance CS17 will cause instant rupture
- Headshots now have a 10% chance of instant effect

Perk level 4
- 120% damage taken
- 50% more potent injections
- 50% quicker injection
- 50% longer injection effect
- 25% chance CS17 causes instant rupture
- Headshots now have a 15% chance of instant effect
Perk level 5
- 115% damage taken
- 60% more potent injections
- 60% quicker injections
- 60% longer injection effect
- 30% chance CS17 causes instant rupture
- Headshots now have a 20% chance of instant effect
Perk level 6
- 110% damage taken
- 75% more potent injections
- 75% quicker injections
- 75% longer injection effect
- 40% chance CS17 causes instant rupture
- Headshots now have a 30% chance of instant effect

What do you think? Questions, comments? POAST!

This actually is one of the better suggestions I've seen in a while. Unfortunately, people generally don't like being relegated to a support role (like medic) and the ability for this perk to deal decent damage is next to nothing. Needs some tweaking but generally very polished and inventive overall.

TWI will likely not be working on large additions -like perks- to KF for quite some time, if ever, so you are kind of stuck.

Upvote 0
Nice idea, but i didn't even know how the weapon look like.
Well that may be so because it's just a rough draft of an idea that still requires LOTS of polishing, I don't even know what the weapons would look like. But then again I don't really judge a weapon by how it looks, more or less I judge a weapon by how useful it is in combat. Looks have little to nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0
While I think this perk still requires much more info and ideas, it has alot of potential. We should brainstorm and think of more stuff from this perk. Even if TW did not make it, it could be a good community project mod. Very interesting idea.

A mod you say? Hmmm sounds good to me. This idea was something I came up with rather quickly, on the spot actually. The snares and roots in MMOs etc gave me the concept. I think the idea of playing a pure support role but without the invincibility of the medic may appeal to some of the more seasoned players. Especially in life/death situations. And because they take SO much more damage, the squad needs to act more like a unit to receive the full advantage this guy could offer the squad. I think of those situations on suicidal, wave 10, everyone gets mobbed by FPs, Scrakes, and Sirens.

By the way, although this guy takes more damage from physical attacks, would it be giving it too much of an advantage if he took less damage from sirens?

Anyways, in those crucial points IF the scientist is still alive, he could cap the scrake with the drug to make him attack another specimen (preferably siren because I don't think they scream if they're busy biting something) and then double back to freeze the FP in its tracks, inject the Commando/SS with the serum to lessen recoil, and that wipe could be avoided entirely, as long as the scientist is still alive. That'd be freakin awesome imo.

What info/ideas were you specifically looking at?

Upvote 0
First of all:
Make him take normal Sirendmg cause sometimes you just can't avoid beeing hit by a siren and with the dmgamplifier it would be like "HEL... nevermind I'm down!"
Second:
Do something with the nades like having a fog-cloud on the floor damaging specimen passing through over time and lasting at the position for let's say 10/15/20 secs? (beginning with level 3/4)
Third:
Great idea! Keep it up! i'll subscribe this^^ *thumbs up*

Greetz
Thugdil

Upvote 0
I really like the idea ut there are some points which need to be changed.

First of all, i love your DIG23!! (without anything negative here^^)

But for the CS17: A Tier 1 Weapon which is effective against FPs/Scrakes (with alt fire)? Kind of don't like this, mb add this to one of the other Weapons. For example the FF120, which Secondary attack:
"Secondary - Unfortunately the Patriarch discovered this 'flaw' in his work and developed an immunity for his next line of specimens. The effect causes the specimen to remain still while the serum courses through its brain."
sounds like not being an secondary attack. I just don't get what u want to say with this, so pls explain it to me^^

In my mind is something like:
"Secondary - While a little bit of the Serum is able to turn a Scrake onto it's "mates", you need to put a whole canister of it into a FP to turn its mind, and at all, it's not that effective, which means that the FP will turn back to normal earlier then a Scrake would do"

Here, you would need a full magazine/clip(i often see guys talking about differences ... don't ask me pls^^)/canister to use your alt fire on a FP in close combat (risky and ammo consuming, just how it should be). Would only be done when your team gets overruned ... or if the player is kind of stupid^^.

Next, please explain to me what you mean when saying
"Headshots now have a xx% chance of instant effect"
Aren't all effects instant from the very beginning on?

At all, i'm not happy with the FF120, because you cant use it on smaller specimen at all. So, for a Tier 3 Weapon, you dont have many situations to use it.

Also, your only weapon to do Damage is the Tier 1 Weapon (if u don't count the turned scrakes/fps). For this, maybe add some DoT for the Tier 2 Weapon. However, this wouldnt make sense if it didnt hurt your teammates ... :/

Any1 got some ideas?

Sorry for writing that much, just am brainstorming ... or call it writing what comes into my mind^^

Cub3r

PS.: One more, the chance of "instant rupture" only counts on lower specimen (Clot, Stalker, Crawler, Gorefast), right?

PPS.: Add Weapon spawning to the Perk lvls 5 and 6 ;)

Upvote 0
i was kinda hoping we could just stay with the perks we already have.

oh, but we always need more perks. People need something to want.

Its either this or weapon ideas or specimen ideas or plot ideas.

Personally Id like to hear plot ideas that arent rip offs of L4D, 28 weeks later, or resident evil.

But thats probably just me.

Upvote 0