• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Improvements to the prone position that should be done in HoS...

Federico 76

Dec 6, 2009
... For exemple: you can't go prone if you don't have enough space aroud you, or you can't turn around while in prone position if there is not the effective space to do it (even COD games have this kind of features) and also: turning around while you're prone shouldn't be so fast as while you're standing...

Sometimes, when you're playing a urban map in Ost, and you're cleaning a building, you can see coming through a wall the legs of the soldier that is camping prone on the other side of the same wall (and if you shoot the legs you can actually kill the soldier on the other side)... So the implementation of a system like i said before should resolve the clipping bugs and also improve the realism of the game...

NO! Not in the way CoD has it. As a human I will crawl forward enough to go prone if there's enough space and I'm just to close to the wall.
What i said about COD was only an exemple... Maybe TW can do better... The point is to avoid the clipping bug...

Turning around could work like you shortly rise up to the stance which can turn around and then go prone again.
That was what i meant...

Upvote 0
Yes to limiting where a player can go prone if there isnt enough room to lay down

As far as prone turning, have normal rotation for about 120-130 degrees in relation to what direction the player's head is pointing, after that slow down the turn speed to simulate having to shift position while down

And finally, add a feature that allows players to quickly roll over onto their backs while prone so they can react quickly to threats from behind, but while on their backs, their aim is much worse, they can only rotate freely for about 90 degrees, and movement is severely restricted

Upvote 0
I think that if this worked like CoD's system, but with RO's signature "free look" system, it wouldn't be as bad as in cod where u are stuck as a board if there is not much space. It could or couldn't work, thats why I say PUBLIC BETA WOOOOOO.

"And finally, add a feature that allows players to quickly roll over onto their backs while prone so they can react quickly to threats from behind, but while on their backs, their aim is much worse, they can only rotate freely for about 90 degrees, and movement is severely restricted"

wait, so how is rolling on your back gonna help again? With all due respect, that sounds pointless, firstly u prolly wouldnt hit jacks***, and while trying to hit that target while in that position u probably could of just stood up/crouched n go on shooting, and thus being less likely to die. Also, how would you know you are being attacked from behind unless you actually TURNED AROUND and saw them...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When turning past the threshold while prone, your weapon should be lowered while you use your arms to shift position.

I know there can be better collision with legs and walls and whatnot, it just depends on how they decide to do it. It'd be good to have something similar to CoD that tells you when there isn't enough space to lay down, and then have your body collide with the wall/objects in first person like weapons do so you can't cram yourself into odd spaces.

Upvote 0
wait, so how is rolling on your back gonna help again? With all due respect, that sounds pointless, firstly u prolly wouldnt hit jacks***, and while trying to hit that target while in that position u probably could of just stood up/crouched n go on shooting, and thus being less likely to die. Also, how would you know you are being attacked from behind unless you actually TURNED AROUND and saw them...

Well first in response to how you would know when to rollover, if you hear an an enemy firing at you or your teammates from behind, if they miss, you would have enough time to roll over and return fire

Next, as far as rolling versus just crouching and turning, I think there should be a delay in changing from prone to crouch to simulate the time it would actually take to change stance, not much, but longer than it would take to just roll to your back, and staying on your back presents a smaller target to your enemy, and if you are behind cover while prone to avoid fire from in front, staying on your back prevents you from taking fire from two directions at once

Finally, as far as not being able to hit anything, yes it should be very difficult to hit a target with a bolt rifle so bolt guys wouldn't find it very useful, but i think it would be far more useful to an SMG trooper, as they can spray a target and hopefully at least one round will hit the enemy

Upvote 0
If we want to roll on our backs, what do we do with the gear we're packing? Take it off, then roll? Kind of hard to roll over with a boat load of gear on your shoulders and back......
soldiers often removed any non-essential gear during combat situations, this included the backpacks they carried. The Russians had those rucksacks which rested on your hip, so rolling with that on wouldnt be hard

Upvote 0
So, depending upon what weapon class you are and what loadout you're carrying will determine whether or not you are carrying packs, shovels, bed rolls, etc? And as a result, determine whether or not you can roll over onto your back? Or perhaps the mapper determines that? Do you take your helmet off first, or does it fall off when you roll? Kind of hard to see anything other than sky with that thing digging a hole in your neck as you try and peer toward the horizon.

Just seems like a lot of work for something that is either damn near (if not totally) impossible to do and/or highly improbable that it would be done in the first place. Next time you're plinking around in the back yard or at the gun range, lay on your back and fire off your 30.06. See how your collar bone likes that. If you have a automatic weapon, see how well you can manhandle it. Hopefully you won't kill everyone around you....

Afaik, the only pics with soldier's we have to go by are from the grain elevator. For example: [URL="http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/68942/PC/Red-Orchestra-Heroes-of-Stalingrad/Screenshots/March-16th-Screenshot"][URL]http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/68942/PC/Red-Orchestra-Heroes-of-Stalingrad/Screenshots/March-16th-Screenshot[/URL][/URL]

Upvote 0
yes it would be a hard feature to implement considering how many people would make use of it, but it's nonetheless a cool idea IMO

btw, I don't have a 30.06, but I do have a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 made in the Tula factory:p, yeah i probly couldn't hit a thing with it while on my back (I'm a terrible shot anyway), but as I stated before, this would be a much more useful manuever for someone with an smg. You wouldn't brace it against your collarbone to fire it, you'd probly just tuck it under your armpit and spray like hell, still not accurate, but at least it's something

and as far as what soldiers will carry on their backs, from what that screenshot shows, it would still be manageable to lay on your back, it wouldn't be comfortable and you probly couldn't move well, but I'm pretty sure getting shot is more uncomfortable than a bedroll digging into your back:p

All I'm saying is that it would be a cool feature to see in-game, and I know it's a little outside the norm for RO, so if they never put something like this in, I won't be disappointed, I just think that the more content and immersion, the better a game can be

Upvote 0
I'm all for immersion but not impossiblity for the sake of Hollywood. I'll assume you still take classes (and as most students today seem to wear some sort of booksack), put a few books in yours and try rolling over. Same concept. You may can do a 360, but laying still on your back with a pack?

Assuming you can make it over on your back, how does one put a gun under their armpit when flat on their back? I'm at a loss on that one. PUt it under your armpit and what are you going to be shooting? Birds as they fly over? Certainly nothing down range.

I know I'm beating a dead horse. All I'm saying is a little thought goes a long way. Hell, or just try it. Grab your Mosin and lay on your back (pack or no pack). Try pointing the weapon down range...Its just never going to happen...;)

Upvote 0
I get what you're saying, it's just kinda hard for me to explain how you would hold the gun in words though, and sadly I don't have a camera to show what I mean, but it IS possible to aim towards your feet if the buttstock is tucked in your armpit

as far as laying on your back with a backpack goes, a bookbag distrubutes weight a little different than military issue gear. With a backpack, all the weight is centered right on your spine so you couldn't balance yourself. But as you can see from that screenshot from your last post, the gear on their backs has a more even weight distribution, so its more like wearing a wide backpack where the books are packed in two books across, which makes a flatter surface to balance yourself on

even if you couldn't balance flat on your back, you can tilt your body to one side so that your torso's weight is placed on one side (only one shoulder is touching the ground, if that makes it easier to envision), and you can still point your gun towards your feet, maybe not aim down the sights, but you can definately 'shoulder/hip' fire

Upvote 0
Oh.... You're wanting to shoot toward your feet. lol.... (I had the other direction in my head).
Don't know why one would want to do that (sitting is much more feasible), but OK, I'll concede that is possible. Its still going to be hard to roll 180 with anything combat related on your back (at least with the crap we toted much of the time.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
haha, I can't imagine what shooting the way you were thinking would've looked like:D

and having the sitting option would be awsome too, as long as you can also perform the sit position on a couch in front of a door and just camp the hell out of it with a ppsh:p, imagine just opening a door and some russian sitting on a rocking chair just looks up at you and blasts you in the face:D

Upvote 0
Hello, been playing RO since October of 06, mostly on and off in the past two years (including DH as well).

I've been looking forward to HOS and would like to chime in on Instincts suggestion.

I do believe the lying on the back feature is a very good idea to counter anyone on ROplayer's flank. It essentially is a fourth "stance".

- movement (if any) just as slow as prone
- viewing ability or aiming about 180 degress (left, right) 90 degrees (up, down)
- weapon handling could have much more sway, increased recoil effects, increased reload time, one handed shooting maybe? <<< I'm not encouraging it as a Rambo feature, but as an awkward lying on my back bracing myself with the other arm type of aiming!

It could also work great as part of a "knocked down" feature. Perhaps when shot in the leg or knocked down from an explosion the "on the back" feature kicks in, it can alternate from the face down (prone) position.

What do you guys think about it?

Upvote 0
I was pondering the idea of getting knocked onto your back by explosions and then being in prone or 'back' stance, but the thing about it is this, if an explosion goes off so close to you that you would be knocked down, chances are you would also be so injured by shrapnel or just explosive force that the game would register you as 'dead'

Upvote 0
I was pondering the idea of getting knocked onto your back by explosions and then being in prone or 'back' stance, but the thing about it is this, if an explosion goes off so close to you that you would be knocked down, chances are you would also be so injured by shrapnel or just explosive force that the game would register you as 'dead'

It's not out of the question to be able to continue after getting knocked down by an explosion, but I understand what you're saying.

Upvote 0