• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lockable Doors?

Reise

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006
Maine, US
I was reading the thread about bullet penetration and a random thought just crossed my mind: How about the ability to lock doors?

Since we have bullet penetration for HOS it wouldn't be terribly broken, and I think it'd add a neat element to defensive tactics. We all know that Killing Floor benefits from this stuff, but I think we would need a surefire way to get through in order to prevent abuse.

If you go to open a door and it's locked it should make a sound to tell you, then give the option to kick it open. This would have to happen quickly enough that you can't just camp the door while would-be attackers try to kick it. Of course the act of kicking the door down would also draw attention with noise and everything, so it's not like the defenders would have no reason to bother. The attackers may also decide not to risk getting shot and use a grenade or two to persuade the lock to loosen its grip.

So instead of being wide open to attackers, you can do something to slow them down a bit and make them stop for a second before charging in like Rambo. Hearing the sound at first might prompt people to turn around and spray the door, but it may not be enough once people get the door open.

Thoughts?

Cool ideas, it definately crossed my mind a few times, though I dont know about kicking down a locked door. Kicking down any kind of wooden door, even without it being locked, is actually really hard, you would need to shoot up the wood around the lock and/or knob pretty bad in order to weaken it enough to kick it in. Also, with thinner wooden doors, you are actually more likely to just put your foot straight through the door than actually break the door open.

What I would love to see along with lockable doors is the ability to crack open a door just a little bit, lob a grenade through, then shut the door again. It would allow players to effectively clear rooms with nades, unlike Ost, where you had to throw nades through open doors at an angle to prevent being shot, and the grenade never landed in the center of the room, thus limiting its lethality. While it might not work that well with the german stick nade, because it would just blow the door down, it would work great with the russian frag nade, because the door would protect you from shrapnel, which is what kills you with the russian nade

Upvote 0
Lockable doors would only make sense for certian areas.

For example, say you are fighting in an evacuated village, like in many of RO OST's maps. Where are you going to find the keys to all the doors?

And how is it determined which player has the keys? 40 people on a server can't have keys to the same house. :p

Upvote 0
Lockable doors would only make sense for certian areas.

For example, say you are fighting in an evacuated village, like in many of RO OST's maps. Where are you going to find the keys to all the doors?

And how is it determined which player has the keys? 40 people on a server can't have keys to the same house. :p

This. It would make no sense to have all the keys just laying around.

Upvote 0
Neat idea, but I wonder how realistic this is. I don't know how many doors had locks on them in an Eastern European village or big city. Quite possibly the front door in a residence. Dunno about factories or what not.

Also, I wonder what doors locks were like then. Was it simply a slide bolt? I doubt we'd see the modern integrated door knob locks.

Sorry - I just installed a door knob today, so it's a bit on my mind.

Upvote 0
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eLk0L-h4WYU/SwuppNK7doI/AAAAAAAADHc/4T8pAFUJkuc/s1600/IMG_1463.jpg
http://www.vastavalo.fi/albums/userpics/10892/Haka-z0.jpg

You need to remeber that locks were not what they are nowdays.
I would like to lock up people inside the barn. Then they wouldnt get out until game ends.. :D :D :D

Anyways, i believe that this kind of hook lock is quite easy to kick open as it got just one nail, which keep it together.

Other thing is that doors were wood on those times, not like chipboard. So you cant kick through the wooden door at
least if its as chunky that we can call it a door.

Last edited:
Upvote 0