• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

Found two local Mosin M44s for $200 total. Comes with ammo pouch, sling, tools, ect. Standard stuff.

Assuming they are in good condition, is this a good deal?

They look like they are in good condition, but looking for some quick advice. At $100, that is cheaper than most 91/30s here.

What year?

Tula or Izhevsk?

Are all parts stamped matching, or do some parts have electro pencil serial numbers?

Do the parts have the full serial number or just the last 3 or 4 digits?

Has the muzzle been counterbored?

What's the bore like?

Do they have marks on them anywhere that look like a square with a line vertically through the middle, or a square with a diagonal?

Solid hardwood or laminated stock? (In the picture it -looks- like it's not laminated ... but I'm just checking.)

Etc., etc., etc.

If either one is a 1943, get it. There's very very few 1943's out there. There's a fair number of '44 and '45's out there. Looks like yours might be either postwar or a refurb with a nice enough stock. If either has a hex receiver, GET IT. Some earlier receivers were laying around and used, or possibly other rifles were recycled - I don't think anyone really knows.

The square-with-line marks were used by one or another of the arsenals to indicate that the rifle was refurbished.

If it's Tula, that's better than Izhevsk - rarer, plus better fit and finish. (You can tell the difference - Tula is marked with a large star on the top of the barrel shank, Izhevsk is not.)

Laminated stocks are pretty, and do better with changes in humidity.

But, in general, yeah - $200 for a pair of M44's is a pretty good price, if they're both nice rifles.

Upvote 0
Not really. You've got a duty to retreat, even in your own home.

You shoot someone in your house and you've got a door behind you, and it doesn't matter what the situation was, you're done. Game over. Done.

also, you cant shoot someone in your house if they arent armed. thats total BS. if someones in my house, and im an old elderly person who cant defend myself, i should be able to use a gun for defense if they try to physically attack me.

on the brightside, there isnt anything about bayonets. someone in your house, stab away!

Upvote 0
Found two local Mosin M44s for $200 total. Comes with ammo pouch, sling, tools, ect. Standard stuff.

Assuming they are in good condition, is this a good deal?

They look like they are in good condition, but looking for some quick advice. At $100, that is cheaper than most 91/30s here.

SNB11629.jpg

SNB11630.jpg

If that is both rifles, they both have laminated stocks, and the bottom one is stamped matching on the bolt, and stamped matching with a line out on the magazine floor plate, both with the Cyrillic prefix. Judging by the features of the receiver, and Bayonet mount, it was made in late '45, or early '46. M44's are getting harder to find so $100 each is a good deal. Especially with laminated stocks.

Here is one of mine for reference.
42lampb.jpg

Edit: Oops, sorry I was too late.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Went shooting today. Have a horrible phone video:
YouTube - Shooting the AR-15

End results:

Shooting to the right, but otherwise my group/pattern is around 4-5 inches or so. Think it is because when the gun recoils, I seem to pull it to the side?

I was using my red dot. Sight seems to be centered. If I move the dot to the left, it does not look centered with the front sight.

Either way, better than last time. Wish I could go out more often.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a damned fine deal to me, actually. My M44 was a lot cheaper, but it was also several years ago, and it's in really pretty terrible shape - unsafe to shoot, due to a VERY weak sear spring.

My 91/30's and M38 were ... actually about the same price, once the DROS and misc bull**** People's Republik fees are counted into the deal. (Of course, my 91/30's are both Tulas, and one is a converted Dragoon rifle, the other is a PU.)

Upvote 0
Tell me about the fees. $134 out the door for my $100 Mosin I bought at Big 5. Another $12 if i did not return the lock.

My local Big 5s have M38s, but one of them has the numbers sanded off, and other other looks pretty beat up. $150 on sale, plus DROS and tax.

I'll probably sell the 91/30 and keep the M44.

What's the deal with the 91/30? If it's something spiffy, I might be interested ... ?

Upvote 0