• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics You wanna be a better player? I'll tell you how...

You might not consider medic to be fun, but it as fun as hell is hot...

Ya me too, when i play other perks than medic, i'm like: wtf this is ****ing slow!
And people who run away from me when i try to heal them are pissing me off. I tell them to not move next time or i don't heal them at all. Works almost all the time =D (some ragequiters tho :p )

Upvote 0
Ya me too, when i play other perks than medic, i'm like: wtf this is ****ing slow!
And people who run away from me when i try to heal them are pissing me off. I tell them to not move next time or i don't heal them at all. Works almost all the time =D (some ragequiters tho :p )

The way i see it, as a medic you either have to learn to hit those n00bs dancing and jumping or they die. I'm pretty much got the jumping downpat, however retarded dancing is frustrating. And i don't threaten people with the No Heals threat. I don't work that way. But whatever works for you.

And another thing, what backup/alternate weapon do you use as medic?
Mine is Xbow/SCAR/M14/AA12/AK47. Any of these weapons are acceptable.

Upvote 0
The way i see it, as a medic you either have to learn to hit those n00bs dancing and jumping or they die. I'm pretty much got the jumping downpat, however retarded dancing is frustrating. And i don't threaten people with the No Heals threat. I don't work that way. But whatever works for you.

And another thing, what backup/alternate weapon do you use as medic?
Mine is Xbow/SCAR/M14/AA12/AK47. Any of these weapons are acceptable.

Xbow and Deagle. Medics that keep their med-gun are useless IMO. You could just run to your team an heal them instead of maybe missing your shot. Just a question, how much HP of experience for your perk? I am at 224k :p

Upvote 0
I used to play Wolf ET for 6 years and if you wanted to live, you had to reload every time possible. So, its sort of an habit burned into my mind lol, and I cant help reloading all the time no matter if Ive used only 1 bullet from the mag.

I used to play a hell of a lot of Insurgency, so every time I reload, Im wasting the rest of the mag. Had to slowly work myself back onto reloading as soon as possible, stop myself getting caught without a shot left :p

Upvote 0
Fixed. lol

I c wat u did thar.

But nothing beats the OP-ness of a medic healing with a MP7/M14/Mk17 loadout. Although getting to the MP7 when you need to is a B!tch.
Admittedly i carry the M14, though i prefer using the SCAR and carrying the M14 for when i have to solo the wave, as rare as that is. Or maybe a commando loadout with Mk17/AK47/MP7.

And the MP7 is actually pretty good if you L2AIM. And nothing beats the 40rnd mag sprayed into a clot's/GF's face closeup.

Upvote 0
Ignore grenades. Don't use them unless you are a flamer. It is dangerous to rely on them and some yahoo is always moving in front of you when you throw one. I mainly use grenades to open welded doors.

DON'T WELD DOORS. Welded doors hamper movement of the players more than it helps them. Yes, I know Support has to weld doors to progress, but other than that, welded doors hurt players more than it helps them. And welded doors teach poor habits and tunnel vision.

Bad advice detected...

Also, if I catch you doing that on my server, you will be kicked.

Upvote 0
Bad advice detected...

Also, if I catch you doing that on my server, you will be kicked.

You do what you need to do. If I am running around as the last one left because the team's barricade was overrun again, and a door is welded then I'm gonna open it. If some yahoo has welded a door between trader and me, then I'm gonna open it. If someone joins me in a spot that I have been camping for a few waves and welds a nearby door then I'm gonna open it. Now if some group has barricaded themselves in a different area that doesn't affect my mobility, I'm not gonna open that door just to be a jerk.

Welded doors are a crutch and breed poor, lazy players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welded doors are a crutch and breed poor, lazy players.

Not necessarily. That depends on how you make use of the situation. If you're welding a door just to take a breather to get away from the horde that's following you and taking the time to reload, totally understandable. But if you're just gonna weld and sit there while 50 gazillion clots attack you from behind just to have an fp burst trough the door, that's a sad player indeed.

Upvote 0
Excellent guide, I wish to God more people played by those guidelines.

I agree completely on the point of avoiding welding where possible. I do find it to be an extremely bad idea to rely on welding, simply resulting in a team's death. However, welding isn't a black and white issue, in fact you might want to update your guide with a small section on welding.

There are good place to weld, for instance in certain levels at certain camp spots, welding certain doors shut results in few to none zombies actually attacking the door. Instead the zombies will use alternate paths, resulting in fewer avenues to defend. Another good use of welding is if you're being chased by a bunch of zombies, make a temporary weld on a door (just empty your weld tool into it then run) to give you some breathing room.

An example of bad welding would be holding out with your back to a welded door. If anything goes wrong, you've sealed yourself into a dead end. Furthermore, if a decent sized wave spawns on the other side of the door, instead of coming at you in a piecemeal line, that whole wave is going to break through that door under cover of a momentary smokescreen and slaughter you. Another bad tactic is welding random doors along the map's main thoroughfares. All that's going to happen is sooner or later you or a teammate is going to be fleeing the horde and is going to run into a welded door and die (support specs, if you want weld points play office and weld all the small doors on the uppermost interior floor).

Long story short, welding used in reliance is a bad thing. It gets used as a crutch to prop up a bad strategy all too often. If used right, it's a useful tactic.

Upvote 0
Keep your rounds going downrange. If you are at the front line of your group and a crawler, clot, gorefast, or anything less than than a scrake or FP gets past you, LET HIM GO and let the people behind you kill him. Every second you shoot behind you is another second you aren't shooting at the majority of mobs and another second they are getting closer. This is especially important for demos and firebugs. Always keep your shots going downrange.

So true. Too many times a team gets wiped because everyone focuses on one thing that gets past them and falls to a mob of crawlers or sirens that sneak up from the front. This goes hand-in-hand with Enemy Prioritization.

Be aware when you are moving if you stop moving. If you stop moving but you are still holding the key down, immediately jump in the opposite direction, and fire in the direction you were moving. More than likely, you have bumped against a crawler or stalker.

Either that, or a douche trying to body-block your backpedaling escape from sirens or a FP. In that case, jump in the opposite direction and fire in the direction you were moving, hoping that FF is on so you can kill the player.

The 9mm is a great weapon to "pull" mobs. See a group of gorefasts entering a stairwell across the map? Firing a couple shots close to them will get their attention and they will walk to you. This is also great for scrakes and sirens as well.

Yes! I love the usefullness of the 9mm in grabbing their attention.
However, often times I see noobs spamming the 9mm against a scrake and then complaining when they die, saying it went after them/i didn't have any weapons/whine whine. Don't shoot scrakes with a 9mm.

Keep your weapons on auto.
If you're preparing for a tough wave, yes. However, if it's wave 2 and you're chilling with a bullpup, there's no reason not to set it to auto to conserve ammo and make some epic zed time headshots. Auto is only necessary if you're getting overwhelmed. Otherwise you can set it to auto and be a psuedo-SS.

Run all the way into the trader. Few things are as annoying as being the last player to the trader and the other players are 2 feet in the door and you can't get in.

That's what Antiblock prevents. Good habit to have anyway.

Upvote 0
That's what Antiblock prevents. Good habit to have anyway.

I don't run Anti Block on my server, that mutator causes a glitch with my and a number of other peoples profile and achievements page. So its a fair point to make :)

Its why I enabled vote kicking tho :)

Otherwise a lot of good rule of thumb advice in this guide, alot of it I agree with and anything I disagree with is relative to personal preference rather than actual bad advice. Very diplomatically written with alot of good pointers. Nice job dude ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lol, because you cant weld effectively then its a bad tactic?

No.

Lol, welding breeds poor tactics, poor players, tunnel vision, and boring games.

And how exactly can someone be ineffective at welding? Equip welding gun, walk up to door, press mouse button, and hold mouse button down. Sounds incredibly simple and boring to me.

Weld all you want. It isn't a question of welding effectiveness at all. If that is how you want to play, if that is how you have to play, then play that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And how exactly can someone be ineffective at welding? Equip welding gun, walk up to door, press mouse button, and hold mouse button down. Sounds incredibly simple and boring to me.

By welding stupidly, like welding an escape route.

Welding is excellent if you use it properly, some spots for welding do make the game way too easy, but others are intense sort of spots.

and the fact that welding can bunch up to 32 specimens all in one place, good for demo's and supports.

Upvote 0