• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character customization using earned points and/or microtransactions

Benjamin

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
France
I'd like to suggest a system of character customization similar to Battlefield Heroes' system, where you can purchase (purely cosmetic) accessories for your character using either real money, or using points earned while playing.

However, unlike BFH's system this system could be less stringent, as TWI don't have the cost of maintaining official game servers. Rather than only allowing customizations to be permanently bought with real money, allow the player to pay a higher amount of earned points in order to actually buy the item instead of simply renting it. This way players aren't forced to play the game regularly in order to keep their items that they bought with earned points.

If done correctly this could provide a longer game lifespan and would generate additional income, which I feel TWI deserve considering the free support they give the community.

I'd like to stress a couple of points:

* All the items would be purely cosmetic (as stated above) as to maintain balance between those who want to spend money and those who don't.

* All the items would have to fit with the style of the game. I don't really think we want to see people running around with pink cowboy hats, it would ruin the atmosphere.

Opinions?

Please never use the word "Microtransactions" again. That translates in most gamers' minds to "Nickle and dime you to play the game properly".

I dunno. I think the character packs were fine. The Unreal 2.5 Engine doesn't really support grafting stuff onto characters, so it'd be a new model for each customized guy...which would mean memory hogging, ect. Just seems like a lot of work for little benefit, especially since this game seems to have fallen out of TWI's favor.

Upvote 0
Customisation is always cool, removing Scully would be something I would pay for :)

As long as I can keep the Jeans, and that badass rucksack with the tripwire logo sneakily plonked on the back for nothing more than sneaky underhanded advertising... then I'm down with whatever :p

I always liked Sgt.Powers more than anyone... but he doesn't have the rucksack :)

Upvote 0
The Unreal 2.5 Engine doesn't really support grafting stuff onto characters, so it'd be a new model for each customized guy...which would mean memory hogging, ect.

Probably a few kilobytes for each character, in a 6 player game? I hope none of us are trying to run this game on a 286... :rolleyes:

But yes, it's probably a lot of work for a game that has already reached its peak in popularity. Perhaps they could consider it for the sequel.

Upvote 0
Love the idea personally, I hate the fact that in almost every game I play theres usually 2 to three people who look exactly like me. It also bugs me that the only option for characters are all males, not because I want to play a female, but because as far as characters go, this game is extremely limited. The only thing I hate more than this games limited selection is Left 4 Dead. I don't know if L4D is still as limited as it was back when I played it (what... a year ago?), but I remember back then you only had a very small number of characters to choose from.

Upvote 0