• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Mapping Tutorials for the SDK

Recognise this, Fel?

I imagine he would. I told both him and dex about adding their tut's to the site and also stated that I would go out of the way to add any tutorials added on these forums to the site since my request for the TW Map tutorial sub-forum was rejected.

If anyone wants to write a tutorial you can put it on there directly since I only have limited time myself but I will try and get all your mapping guides on there if I can.

Upvote 0
I imagine he would. I told both him and dex about adding their tut's to the site and also stated that I would go out of the way to add any tutorials added on these forums to the site since my request for the TW Map tutorial sub-forum was rejected.

If anyone wants to write a tutorial you can put it on there directly since I only have limited time myself but I will try and get all your mapping guides on there if I can.

please add this to the site please

Doors are movers. If you look to the left hand side in KFed you'll see what looks like a low blue box with 4 arrows pointing in each direction. Right click on that and you'll see some options come up, a few of which are Mover and KFDoorMover.

First, go to the static meshes browser and choose a static mesh for your door. You can also custom make one using brushes and saving it by right clicking on the group of objects going to make up the door, choosing convert -> to static mesh, save in the package "myLevel" (exactly written like that) and whatever group and title you want.

Once you have a mesh selected (not put into the map, just highlighted in the browser) right click on that mover icon I was talking about. Then click on KFDoorMover. The static mesh you chose will now pop up as a purple colored wireframe in your viewports, in the middle of the red brush. You now have a door mover.

The first order of business is to put the door where it will be located when it is closed. Then, right click on the door and you will see the option "mover" (it's the second one down). Click on keyframe 1. Now move the door to the position it will be in when it is open. This could be a rotation or shift in axis location or both. Right click -> mover -> keyframe 0 (base). This puts it back where it should be so the door doesn't show up as open in your level.

Second order of business is to alter the door's tag. Trigger events control what doors open where by matching the tag of the door. If you have a trigger with an event named "door1" and a door somewhere on your map with the tag "door1," when a player presses their "use" key in close proximity to that trigger, the door with the same tag with open/close. So, right click on the door, click properties, drop down the events tab, and change the door's tag to, oh, i don't know, something like "Ilovebewbs."

Now put in a trigger. Go to actors -> triggers -> KFUseTrigger and put it somewhere on the map (highlighting a surface in the perspective viewport, right clicking and choosing "place KFUseTrigger" is the most accurate way to put it close to a certain point). Right click on this one, go to properties -> events -> event = "Ilovebewbs." Now that the trigger event name matches the door tag name, this trigger will open the door when a player uses it. So, place the trigger in the middle of the door.

And that's a wrap. Keep in mind though that if any doors share the same tag, they will ALL open/close by using that one trigger (likewise you can have multiple triggers open/close the same singular door). Hence, you can get double doors or "buttons" on faraway walls that "unlock" and open a door (or if you're a noob who copied and pasted everything, this explains why ZOMG ALL MAI DOORZ ARE OPENING AND CLOSING WHENEVER I OPEN AND CLOSE ONE OF THEM)!

Now that you know all this, the Mapping Guide will make much more sense and tell you how to make a double-hinged swinging door.

i couldnt find it on there so i had to use google to find a tutorial...

Upvote 0