• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Current Status

For those who can't find the search button :p

TWI has plans for a future KF update. Those plans include a balancing. As to what that will entail, I can not say at this time. However right now TWI is still heavily occupied with a Heroes of Stalingrad milestone, and the majority of the team is working on that (plus something else which hopefully will be announce soon, but you should be able to guess it if you read steam news and Maybe visit the post your desktop threAd in the podium to read Candid posts by ramm.)

What about icculus doing a native Linux port? Since it's going to be OpenGL anyway doesn't that mean it should be fairly easy?

Upvote 0
There is no linux steam build.

He could crank that out in a few days :) at least in my perfect world...

Seriously though Steam just went webkit in the beta, so that should be a fairly large load off.

Let him know that everyone in the forum wants some linux ports. And while you're at it, get that guy that did Out Of Hell to let you publish his mod for KF :)

Upvote 0
agreed. KF player loss be damned, i want HOS to be released dammit.

Player loss is going to be damning KF in a big way if the current trend keeps up. I've played MAYBE once since the days of the last big update. And a total of 2 people on my once-KF-player-filled buddy list have played more than once in the last 2 months. The number of good servers is teetering off too.

If they make a big deal about the balance patch, I'm sure a few will come back, but quite a few are completely done with it and that number is growing. I get that Heroes of Stalingrad is going to be taking up most of their time because it's their big-budget master project, but a large portion of the KF playerbase, myself included, aren't really interested in it and are going to move on to other games.

It's still a fun game, but the balance issues really hurt the fun and the high-learning curve means that the game is either too easy (Good teams just camp a spot or two) or too hard (Bad teams die so fast that you have to fight entire waves on your own).

I remember being so into the game that I was making mini-guides to classes. These days, one of the classes (Sharpshooter) that I made a guide to is so easy it doesn't even need one and the other (Berserker) are so underpowered that even a good one won't stack up to average players of the other classes.

KF has gone from one of those "I'll play it at least once or twice a week" games, to one of those "I'll check it's forums every month or so to see if they fixed it yet" games. And personally, I think that's pretty sad.

Upvote 0
So go play other games dude. Spread your wings and fly, check the forums for the update news and play if and when you feel like it. KF isn't MW2 or anything, and I know you know that. It's a small community that will go up and down over time. My friends still play the odd game of KF a week, and that's all we want to play right now. That's ok.

KF has never been the kind of game that could support 40,000+ people online, 365 days a year, for the next three or four years. It's not necessarily the kind of game that needs to either.

The irony is, I never lack for players. Whether it's my friends or pubbies that still visit our server, we rarely play alone for long. That's really all the community I need.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people are so dismayed at the replay value of KF petering out. Yes, the balance is severely off right now, but let's say the new weapons were never added, or they were added and they were completely balanced right off the bat. Would you really still be playing as much as you did before the last update? Honestly? I know I wouldn't; I love KF but it's really not the kind of game you can play forever and not get bored with it.

Hell, it took me 343 hours to be more or less done with KF and that's damn good for a $20 title. It doesn't shock me that people are moving on because honestly that's what happens. Every game that's not a huge MMO has a life span and KF may be reaching the end. There's nothing wrong with that. Although as someone said before, I still find plenty of people to play with so I'm not really seeing the drastic decline in players you're lamenting over.

Upvote 0
Player loss is going to be damning KF in a big way if the current trend keeps up. I've played MAYBE once since the days of the last big update. And a total of 2 people on my once-KF-player-filled buddy list have played more than once in the last 2 months. The number of good servers is teetering off too.

If they make a big deal about the balance patch, I'm sure a few will come back, but quite a few are completely done with it and that number is growing. I get that Heroes of Stalingrad is going to be taking up most of their time because it's their big-budget master project, but a large portion of the KF playerbase, myself included, aren't really interested in it and are going to move on to other games.

It's still a fun game, but the balance issues really hurt the fun and the high-learning curve means that the game is either too easy (Good teams just camp a spot or two) or too hard (Bad teams die so fast that you have to fight entire waves on your own).

I remember being so into the game that I was making mini-guides to classes. These days, one of the classes (Sharpshooter) that I made a guide to is so easy it doesn't even need one and the other (Berserker) are so underpowered that even a good one won't stack up to average players of the other classes.

KF has gone from one of those "I'll play it at least once or twice a week" games, to one of those "I'll check it's forums every month or so to see if they fixed it yet" games. And personally, I think that's pretty sad.

look at DA2 right now. it is completely dead. why? because it's broken, and it's been awaiting a patch

now assuming they ever DO patch it up, will people start playing it again?

of course they will! many people want to play DA2 but can't because it's broken. many people still want to play KF but can't because it's broken.

so you're saying that an even MORE popular game like KF could possibly die entirely because people got bored of the broken gameplay?

that ain't gonna happen. KF will be alive for a long time from now. if it won't die when it's broken it definitely won't die when it's fixed.

plenty of people still play mechwarrior 4. those are the people who absolutely love that game and will continue to play it until mechwarrior 5 is released. KF has those kinds of people too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
plenty of people still play mechwarrior 4. those are the people who absolutely love that game and will continue to play it until mechwarrior 5 is released. KF has those kinds of people too.

Totally agree with this statement :cool:

Usually I might get 10-20hours out of a game at most but KF has got me into the hundreds and I'm still not bored of it. Well except the official maps, but thats only because everyone camps the same spots :(

I look forward to all the future patches/updates aswell as community made content which I hope TW will also Add some of the best as official content.

Speaking of DA2, I spend about 3hours playing that last night and had a blast. There was only 2 servers with people online, 1 with a high ping and 1 with a low ping so I didn't really have much choice in servers (Still beats MW2) but then again there isn't really many maps to play on anyway. Would be interesting if TW bought them out and polished it up.

Upvote 0