• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game lobby

Apos

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2007
Europe
www.enclave.pl
Hi,

RO:HoS could use improved feature from Modern Warfare 2/L4D game - lobby.

Let me explain. You and your friends want play together on server so one of players is looking for server with free slots... and usually when you need 6 free slots only 2 are available.

My idea is to connect server from lobby room level if you want to play with party. Players create lobby first, host (of the lobby) can select which gametype/map/side wants to play and game automatically join each player to server with free slots OR host can chose which server he wants to join. Host can also invite players to lobby from friend list to make it easy as possible. Chat/ Voice chat included for lobby ofcourse.

I believe it might be usefull for co-op gametype too.

I hope its clear to understand.

I dunno what it exactly looks like, but the UDK and with that probably UE3 got full steam works integration. This means that the l4D lobby system is included (at least in the valve news release i believe they said it included the lobby system).

I wouldn't be against a lobby system as long as a regular server browser with favourites and friends etc. is easily accessible without any weird console commands.

Like in killing floor the friends tab would probably be in game though, so you could quickly see while in game at what servers your friends are playing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perhaps this will shed some light on why this is a terrible suggestion:

YouTube - Modern Warfare 2 Dedicated servers VS. IWnet

MW2 is widely regarded as one of the most tremendous failures on the PC platform due to its matchmaking system. Its nickname is "Modern Warfail 2."

No one should legitimately have problems with a server browser....I hope my first video link illustrates why.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
VariousNames you read my suggestion wrong. MW2 was total PC failure and main problem was lack of dedicated servers, not game lobby system. IWnet works also diffrent. If you could read it proper you could know that my suggestion is not talking about matchmaking system on P2P network for consoles. So your arguments are wrong.

My suggestion is more similar to Left 4 Dead example than MW2. What is the problem if game lobby search for you list of available servers (not players) with required number of free slots and connect all players to chosen server where battle is running? Im guessing you have never had to find a server with 10 free slots for all your buddies.

Upvote 0
Actually, I do have that issue. But it's normally when I'm populating a server. I manually send individual invites to each person, and they join individually. That or you could track one dude, designate him per party your party leader, then right click on his steam name and click "join server."

I don't see the utility of having a search algorithm anyway. The servers are right in front of your face, along with player count and every other detail on the server you could hope for.

If you're hoping for a party system, this requires dedicated servers. You have to be able to link all of the players together and throw them in a match simultaneously, but most importantly you have to handle the requests via a search algorithm that has to be sent to a master server. This is a lot of netcode for such a frivolous request (i.e. I have ten people that want to join a server concurrently and we don't know how to subtract numbers). And we're also talking about actual infrastructure, dedicated servers. I'm also not sure how you would link all these player hosted servers to a master database....

Clearly Valve is on top of things with Left 4 Dead, but then again Valve has significantly more materiel/manpower to throw around, and can generally expect more sales with every release. They run Steam, after all....

TWI does not have that luxury.

I'm also curious as to what you think would be so awesome about a party of 10 people joining a server at once and stacking one team.

Upvote 0
Clearly Valve is on top of things with Left 4 Dead, but then again Valve has significantly more materiel/manpower to throw around, and can generally expect more sales with every release. They run Steam, after all....

TWI does not have that luxury.

The thing is the L4D match making system is part of steamworks, aka twi wouldn't have to develop and design it all completely by them selves and wouldn't need to pay for bandwidth either, they would need to use steamworks which they already need for the achievements, leaderboards, and server browser. So it makes a lobby system at least a viable option to discuss.

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/gameservices.php
and
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/ov_unreal.php

So since steam works is integrated within UE3 the question would be how much work would it be to make use of that functionality within the game.

As weird as it might sound people looking for some quick action often prefer lobby systems over having to look for a server manually. Aka it could make RO more accessible to a wider audience. However for me I like to come back to the same servers and play on communities, so for me I'd only use the friends list in the server browser or or join servers I would have added to my favourites. Aka I'd only use regular server browsers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Always like more options and this would be cool for team vs. So say you have 4-10 friends that want to play. You can create a lobby and play against an other group of people. This would be cool with some of the new game modes. I have also noticed that team vs. in l4d2 has a lot less rage quits then when setting up a straight pub lobby.

Upvote 0
This is a terrible idea.

Server browser is enough. You can use steam's functions for joining games where your friends are at.

Really? Being able to start a local co-op sever with friends is a bad idea? I would like to be able to tweak the settings before starting and a lobby seems like the best solution. It may not work that well with the other game play but definitely with co-op.

Upvote 0
This is not a bad idea if you want to end up with your friends on the same team.
When I played MW2, I didn't quite appreciate the lobby system, until I started playing BC2, where it's really a pain in the *** to get your friends join the same team.

Exacly...Game lobby in MW2 would be good if there would be servers. It works fine in L4D 1 & 2. Also don't read it as remove of server browser but as extra feature for groups of friends, co-op match players and clans.

I have in mind that some of you might be afraid of stacking teams. Well, its server problem to manage team balance and i believe it will works same as its working on RO:O servers. Game lobby supports joinining server (normal game mode, im sure it will works diffrent in co-op mode but its obvious), not to balancing game, its server issue.

Devs mentioned that RO:HoS will be integrated with steamworks system. How deep it will get, i dont know, but as Zetsumei said steamworks tools/features are free to use by devs. So it might be merged with new TWI game easy.

Upvote 0
Really? Being able to start a local co-op sever with friends is a bad idea? I would like to be able to tweak the settings before starting and a lobby seems like the best solution. It may not work that well with the other game play but definitely with co-op.

Make a passworded server, have your friends join via steam.

Yes, making any moves towards l4d/mw2-lobby IS a bad idea.

Upvote 0
Make a passworded server, have your friends join via steam.

But I want to join public server where game is running and other players are in, not closed server with password.

Poerisija, if you dont need to use lobby system, dont want to or just don't like it cos other companies wasted game lobby potencial in their games you will not use it. You have always option to use server browser, game lobby, steam friends or external software (allseeing eye, HLSW, etc)

Upvote 0
But I want to join public server where game is running and other players are in, not closed server with password.

Poerisija, if you dont need to use lobby system, dont want to or just don't like it cos other companies wasted game lobby potencial in their games you will not use it. You have always option to use server browser, game lobby, steam friends or external software (allseeing eye, HLSW, etc)

Or do I?

What if we only have TWI matchmaking system?

Upvote 0
The problem with "only match making system" borned from marketing and needs of console games. Such games like Operation Flashpoint 2, Modern Warfare 2 were made for console market mainly where server browser is not needed (P2P network, no dedicated servers etc) Also server browser might be too difficult to understand for console players. They just want to click and play. Its only sign how EA/Codemasters treating PC users stripping from games standards features of PC gaming.

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad is PC exclusive game and TWI isn't stupid to strip of their own game. As i said before game lobby (TWI matchmaking system) might be powerfull tool if will be smart introduced and developed. Im hoping for combined game lobby with server browser (mentioned in first post) to make server searching easier for everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0