• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stormtrooper perk

Hey, not bullets but rounds or cartridges. Bullpup's 5.56x45 in game are weaker than 9x19mm, MP7's 5.7x28 are stronger than 5.56x45. It's called balance, guys :)

'Same' 50AE and 50BMG made me lol.

Yeah,I was referring to caliber, not bullet desing/dimensions/amount of powder.

Well, at least my stupidity made someone laugh :)

Upvote 0
7.62 and .30-30 are the same caliber....

If you perform a inch conversion on 7.62 you see that it's .308 inches diameter, compared to the .30-30's .308.

In short, they're both .30 caliber. It's quite clear the poster was trying to illustrate that the 7.62 has a bigger bullet in terms of length and mass as well as a greater volume for gunpowder...

BTW, those measurements for muzzle energy should be in joules, not kilojoules (kJ).

And it's worth noting, by the way, that flat trajectories and accuracy really have virtually nothing to do with the damage of a projectile....for instance, the .45 and .50 AE cause enormous wound channels despite having hilariously bad trajectories and mediocre accuracy even for a pistol round.

Upvote 0
Sorry, those should be joules.

As for damage, what I meant was that the kind of damage the two rounds can do at typical combat ranges for battle rifles (around 300m). Of course if you shoot someone in the face at point blank then both rounds give you the same result - namely a dead person. But if you try to hit a target at 300 metres, the .30-30 bullet would have lost significantly more energy than the 7.62 NATO bullet as round nose shape is not as aerodynamic as spitzer. This is in addition to the fact that it already has 25% less kinetic energy to start with.

If course the kind of damage a bullet does also depends on if it mushrooms/fragmentates/tumbles upon entering the target, but let's leave terminal ballistics out of this.

Upvote 0
I was so expecting a laser based perk just because it was called stormtrooper

Spoiler!

But seriously, one of the last things this game needs is a Commando with weaker weapons.
69182_sm-Artwork,%20Drawing,%20Imperial%20Guard,%20Inquisition,%20Kasrkin,%20Storm%20Troopers.jpg

Upvote 0
But seriously, one of the last things this game needs is a Commando with weaker weapons.
69182_sm-Artwork,%20Drawing,%20Imperial%20Guard,%20Inquisition,%20Kasrkin,%20Storm%20Troopers.jpg

ummm, that dude from warhammer 40K (an imperial guard karskin i presume (spelled that wrong i think)) is most def not a commando w/ weaker weaps

but i actually do kinda like this idea...but it needs something to differentiate itself from commando more

Upvote 0
Stormtrooper perk alpha v1

Perk that specializing on SMGs and machinepistols. Mobile perk, fall damage reduction increases mobility. This perk has Siren's damage reduction.
Glock 18
MP5A4
Damage: near AK's damage

Damage: near AK's damage

TDI Vector
Damage is great, near 60-70 (SCARMK17 has 75-85). It has rate of fire greater than any gun, except MP7M.

Okay, so an SMG does more DPS than a battle rifle? Trying... not... to rage...

Levels 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

G18, MP5A4 and Vector damage: 5% | 10% | 20% | 30% | 40% | 50% | 50% higher
G18, MP5A4 and Vector recoil: 5% | 10% | 15% | 20% | 25% | 30% | 40% less
G18, MP5A4 and Vector magazine size: 0% | 10% | 20% | 25% | 25% | 25% | 25% larger (rounds down)
Fall damage: 10% | 25% | 40% | 50% | 60% | 70% | 80% less
Damage from Siren's scream: 10% | 25% | 50% | 50% | 50% | 75% | 75% less
G18, MP5A4 and Vector reload speed: 5% | 15% | 20% | 30% | 40% | 50% | 50% faster

So let me get this straight.

You took our current Commando perk, gave it three guns from MW2 with pretty much the exact same stats as existing Commando weapons (despite being SMGs), gave it Siren resistance, gave it "Commando Pro", and called it a whole new perk. I'm suddenly reminded why I don't go to this forum very often.

What empty niche does this perk theoretically occupy?

FUN FACT TIME

Regarding the .30-30, the "-30" part refers to a charge of 30 grains of blackpowder. It was originally a black powder cartridge; IE, far lower pressure and less power than a smokeless cartridge. It has similar performance to 7.62x39. In other words, crappy performance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You took our current Commando perk, gave it three guns from MW2 with pretty much the exact same stats as existing Commando weapons (despite being SMGs), gave it Siren resistance, gave it "Commando Pro", and called it a whole new perk. I'm suddenly reminded why I don't go to this forum very often.
Yeah ;) Not guns from MW2, I hate it. It is alpha version of perk. Not final version. Only suggestion.

Upvote 0
The lever action rifle in game uses .30-30 Winchester, which is much weaker round than 7.62 NATO.

497px-30-30.jpg

From left to right:
5.56 NATO
.30-30 Winchester
7.62 NATO

No. This video here shows why the size of a bullet does not determine it's strength. I like the AK but a 30-30 is meant for game hunting, a 7.62 was designed to take down a 185 lb man. Part of the reason is look at the tips of the bullets. The NATO rounds are designed to go straight into/through the target, the 30-30 is a soft head and expands in a funnel shape. Which one is gonna do more damage?

YouTube - The Truth About AK-47 Firepower

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No. This video here shows why the size of a bullet does not determine it's strength. I like the AK but a 30-30 is meant for game hunting, a 7.62 was designed to take down a 185 lb man.

And 30-30 is meant to take down 185lb whitetails...

.30-30 is almost ballistically identical to 7.62 soviet. It's a low-pressure, slow-moving cartridge, at least by rifle standards. Just like 7.62x39.

EDIT: I just realized the above photo was referring to 7.62 NATO, not 7.62x39mm. 7.62 NATO is more powerful than both .30-30 and 7.62x39mm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitetail_deer (description section)
I guess if you're hunting the deer sure. I'm sure most game hunters would love to bag a 300 lb whitetail buck. Or a bear, moose whatever. The point being is it's note the same bullet but smaller, it's designed for a different thing.

KF isn't the most realistic game in the world, no zombie game really should be. Just felt the comment about a 30-30 being stronger than a 7.62 was out of place. And it is. I didn't say the 30-30 was this awesomely more powerful round. Just it's meant for taking down larger things than the 7.62 was designed to. That's why I showed a video..that compared the two, and while not a whole lot more powerful, the 30-30 is shown as more damaging.

So I don't send the thread in a different direction, most people have already said it. This class idea is too similar to commando.

Upvote 0
7.62 NATO ball are almost always FMJ bullets (the rest are things like steel core AP rounds and such) because hollow points are outlawed for military use.

So if you're going to compare 7.62 NATO FMJ to 30-30 hollow point at close range then of course the hollow point will do more damage. If instead you use a .308 Winchester (which is essentually identical to 7.62 NATO) which do come in hollow points, you will see the larger round do a lot more tissue damage. Alternatively use both FJM 30-30 and FJM 7.62 NATO.

Upvote 0