• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

Since we're talking favorite planes in general here's my fighters in random order:

-Bf-109 series
-Fiat CR42
-MiG series
-P-38
-P-47
-Tempest

If you ask "why", I can only answer they just feel right for me. There's plenty of planes I can fly and mess around with but have major love-hate relationship for some reason, FW-190 and Lavochin series are two examples. Their overall handling and flight charasteristics just don't really go together with me too well even though I have no trouble flying them by the basics.

Upvote 0
Bf 109 series feels great i agree, followed for me by the Spitfire and Fw 190 Dora. P-47 is a pile of junk imo but it feels the way it's supposed to be. P-51 feels pretty authentic to me too.

Tempest stalls all the time, I hate it. Fw 190 Antons are kinda weird, I can't really use the for energy fights although you should be able to do so. Russian types i don't use much as I feel most of the have been artificially overpowered.

Upvote 0
Russian types i don't use much as I feel most of the have been artificially overpowered.

What do you mean by artificiall overpowered? MiG E.G. was probably the best high altitude fighter in the world in 1941 - 1942 and above 6k altitude even Bf-109 was like a toy compared to that, but it was rarely used in high altitude role as no real high altitude interception missions were required and the low altitude performance was less than spectacular and if you play against human opponent flying Bf-109, it becomes very noticable. AI doesn't really count as it tends to have some minor cheats on on few occasions, such as A6M being able to catch Bf-109 without any problems :p

Besides, if you're bounced it doesn't matter what plane you have as the odds are if you didn't see it coming, you're going down unless you have tons of luck at hand.

KrazyKraut said:
Fw 190 Antons are kinda weird, I can't really use the for energy fights although you should be able to do so.

While IL-2 is not 1:1 with everything, I don't see the real problem with FW-190A series in terms of energy fighting. The plane was quite heavy, had quite high wing load and turning the plane was sort of a problem. Sounds like lack of practice\flying experience to me, kinda like I still have problems with some later Bf-109s in terms of few manouvres :p

Oh and as an addition, you can't fly Yaks above 3-4k altitudes without the engines smoking and coughing like they were taking their last breaths.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you have to adjust fuel mixture in the yaks above 2 3 and 4 km and shift to the 2nd gear of the supercharger of the yaks above 4, at least on the yak7. havent flown those for 2-3 years though so I am not entirely sure this is correct. I havent actually played il2 in a year so... :)

The P-47M is definitely one of the best planes in the game together with the La7 and D-9, and the spit 25lb ;) Tempest is great as well but I dont like it due to the view restrictions and the weird handling, just a practice thing I guess.

My current favourite plane is the Pfalz D.XII in 1.012, still flies like crap but at least you have a chance now ;) (Rise of Flight)

Il2 is really a game compared to it without engine overcooling, no wind and overall ease of flight. Once I tried the demo IL2 became completely boring to me. You should check it out when the dogfight mode comes out in about a month (hopefully).

Upvote 0
you have to adjust fuel mixture in the yaks above 2 3 and 4 km and shift to the 2nd gear of the supercharger of the yaks above 4, at least on the yak7.

Later Yaks are somewhat fine, but early Yaks and no matter what you do, even if you can get above 4k altitude properly your overall performance goes down like an avalanche to the point you have to fly with landing flaps on just to stay airbourne properly :p

Upvote 0
Russian fighters esp LA-7 are really good at low level (LA-7 is really good all the time really ;)), but the super low break speed is a major turnoff for me. Even the LA-7, the pinnacle of the russian fighters IMO, has a break speed of only 750, which means you start shaking like crazy at 650-700. It also isnt all that fast above 3k. Still very powerful plane. If you can manage to get your opponent to bleed just a little bit of E you've got him.

I'm all about the 190D baby.

TA-152 is pretty sweet too, it has even better maneuverability at high speed than the 190, but doesn't have the roll rate, so I still prefer the 190D over it, even though it's a close second. Also has that 30mm cannon which is nice ;) I can't count how many times the roll rate on the 190 has saved my ***.

The anton is nice too but doesnt have the ROC, acceleration and speed of the dora. Though having 4 cannons and 2 mgs is nice.

You guys probably already know about this, but if you don't, check out this program called IL-2 compare, it lets you look at all the stats of all the planes. Only thing it doesn't have is acceleration but you can figure that out on your own fairly easily with some "tests" ;)

http://war.by-airforce.com/downloads/il2compare-4.07.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you have to adjust fuel mixture in the yaks above 2 3 and 4 km and shift to the 2nd gear of the supercharger of the yaks above 4, at least on the yak7. havent flown those for 2-3 years though so I am not entirely sure this is correct. I havent actually played il2 in a year so... :)

The P-47M is definitely one of the best planes in the game together with the La7 and D-9, and the spit 25lb ;) Tempest is great as well but I dont like it due to the view restrictions and the weird handling, just a practice thing I guess.

My current favourite plane is the Pfalz D.XII in 1.012, still flies like crap but at least you have a chance now ;) (Rise of Flight)

Il2 is really a game compared to it without engine overcooling, no wind and overall ease of flight. Once I tried the demo IL2 became completely boring to me. You should check it out when the dogfight mode comes out in about a month (hopefully).
Yeah I just couldn't ever get into a WW1 air combat sim. The planes are all ugly (sorry but biplanes are hideous), and it's just too slow IMO. WW2 is the ultimate era for aerial combat, and just war games in general.

Hopefully SOW will improve on the FM.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by artificiall overpowered? MiG E.G. was probably the best high altitude fighter in the world in 1941 - 1942 and above 6k altitude even Bf-109 was like a toy compared to that, but it was rarely used in high altitude role as no real high altitude interception missions were required and the low altitude performance was less than spectacular and if you play against human opponent flying Bf-109, it becomes very noticable. AI doesn't really count as it tends to have some minor cheats on on few occasions, such as A6M being able to catch Bf-109 without any problems :p
I only fly against the AI so that's all I can base my opinion on. But as an example I have no problem dogfighting against F4Us in an IL-10 or even one of the later IL-2s. And I have a harder time shooting IL-2s down than I have shooting B-24s down.

While IL-2 is not 1:1 with everything, I don't see the real problem with FW-190A series in terms of energy fighting. The plane was quite heavy, had quite high wing load and turning the plane was sort of a problem. Sounds like lack of practice\flying experience to me, kinda like I still have problems with some later Bf-109s in terms of few manouvres :p

Oh and as an addition, you can't fly Yaks above 3-4k altitudes without the engines smoking and coughing like they were taking their last breaths.
I said energy fights not turning so how is wing loading any important here. And the Fw 190 wasn't particularly heavy for a WW2 fighter (it's just that russian fighters were all pretty light due to the materials used) and also since when is weight a negative factor per se in terms of energy fighting?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I said energy fights not turning so how is wing loading any important here. And the Fw 190 wasn't particularly heavy for a WW2 fighter (it's just that russian fighters were all pretty light due to the materials used) and also since when is weight a negative factor per se in terms of energy fighting?

It wasn't particularly heavy, but considering FW-190 A-4 weights about 1000kg more than Bf-109 G-2 when loaded while having somewhat identical engines in terms of power, how it affects acceleration and climbrate in general can be notable in some cases. Just compare the acceleration on ground how fast it goes on takeoff for Bf-109, then FW-190 and then for comparasion try P-47 or even P-51. A-5 and A-8 are not as bad in general.

And as for turning, the main point is that you do need to turn your plane somehow at one point. You just need to be very gentle about it or you'll start losing speed fast. One reason why I tend to have issues with FW-190 is that even if you start to change your direction after speeding in if you are not careful about it you'll start losing speed very fast while with Bf-109 you could do alot more steep turn without losing too much energy. Again, considering you're not going to fly still 24h\7 in one single direction sooner or later you need to turn your plane to some direction. That's where the higher wing load can easily effect even in energy fight, as you can't make any steep turns (as you must change your direction sooner or later and if you fly faster than the other plane, if yo uwant to make another pass go figure) or you'll lose energy fast while due the notably slower acceleration (and climbrate) is also noticable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^^^Liking the German planes because they're more difficult is some of the dumbest **** I've ever heard. No one cares how big your e-penis is. That's one thing I really hate about the IL-2 community... a LOT of elitists, even more so than with RO. Actually any game that is "realistic" seems to have them which is a real shame because those tend to be the games I enjoy the most :( I'd also like someone to explain to me exactly how diving on a fighter with a huge energy advantage and killing him is harder than keeping up with someone twisting and turning like a maniac :p.

I like the German planes simply because I like having the faster fighter available, period. But I would definitely take the 25lbs spit over the 109k. But I'd take the 190A9 or D9 over either for sure. 25lbs spit is a fantastic plane though. I've heard some say they think it's overmodelled, though I don't know what this would be based on because I doubt anyone playing an IL-2 has actually flown a spit ;).

Reddog I get what you're saying, but Bnzing can be a blast. One of the 190's biggest advantage is high speed maneuvaribility. Once you hit 450+kmh you can actually outturn most fighters. Which can lead to some very interesting tactics... I've managed to get on the 6 of a plane that's supposedly a better turner in a high speed dive many times.

Not to mention you can actually make adjustments in the 190 when going really fast. I love it when some spit you're diving on thinks he can pull away at the last second when he sees you diving on him, and then wham, you nail his *** with a sharp turn (that kills your e granted, but he's dead so it doesn't matter ;))

I'm a bit suprised you like the P-47, it's basically American version of 190 (not as good though IMO). You might like the BF109G2 or F4 Reddog, they're both nearly as good turners as their spit counterparts but they're still significantly faster with better ROCs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've managed to get on the 6 of a plane that's supposedly a better turner in a high speed dive many times.

That would seem like inexperienced pilot to me. Reminds me few times when I used to play IL-2 online bit more regularly quite often when I saw someone diving for me and attempting some sort of boom and zoom (somewhat dependant on the direction), instead of trying to 'run' away I went out to meet the plane instead and opened fire at quite extreme range, sort of following stuff mentioned in Dicta Boelcke.

Obviously it wasted ammo and once in a while it didn't really result into anything useful, but quite frequently the other plane panicked and made a mistake or simply got nailed and few times it was a head on colission :p

Reminds me also one funny case when I was tailed by FW-190 (probably A8 or so) when flying P-38 and even though he was able to close in very slowly, as I spotted him early enough I decided to climb from 4k altitude up to 9k altitude and he kept cussing that I am a coward for not facing him in a fight and when his plane crapped out due high altitude and he pulled off guess who paid a little visit from behind? :D

Upvote 0
^^^I guess I'm talking about with planes that have very good turning at low speed but bad at high.

Classic example is zero. You get in a dive in a F4F4 and you can break left or right and he'll barely be able to move at 450kph+. Then just climb up, dive, and bam, he's dead.

Or 190vs.tempest. Tempest turns better, but if you get in a dive things are a bit different (he still turns decent but you turn better).

Ya that takes some patience to climb that high lol... I probably would have just dove and run off to base.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^^^I guess I'm talking about with planes that have very good turning at low speed but bad at high.

Hence the inexperience. Sure we all occasionally forget about how the handling charasteristics changes from speed to speed but most often one could expect atleast to familiar with most of the basics :p

NoxNoctum said:
Ya that takes some patience to climb that high lol... I probably would have just dove and run off to base.

The whole chase lasted approximitely 20-25 minutes overall and even more hilarious was that before I followed and shot him down he also cussed that I just wasted alot of time by doing that and I think I still have a screenshot about that somewhere.

Another interesting case of high altitude chases that went on for around 30+ minutes aswell was in one pacific map. We had Corsairs and were flying around 6k altitude and scanning the horizon and we realized we're being bounced. We managed to avoid getting shot down by some sort of luck, but after that we just stepped on it and started to climb some altitude even more. Ultimately since J2M's are beter turners we couldn't do anything about it other than fly in steep circles and gain altitude until we were at around 11k altitude and at the far ends of Corsair's operational ceiling while they were struggling to get over 9k in general and tried to take some long range shots.

By the time they broke off (and that we realized it) they were too far away to be seen properly anymore so no results that time :p

Upvote 0
Storm of War: Battle of Britain update
shot_20100903_174258.jpg

http://fooblog.mexxoft.com/category/computerspiele/storm-of-war-computerspiele/#

Upvote 0