• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mount & Blade

I'm completely addicted to Warband. Been playing since it came out almost a week ago and I can say without a doubt its one of the 5 best games I've ever played.

I came into it expecting the multiplayer to be simplistic with no more than 24 guys in simple deathmatch. Wrong. There is support for 64 player battles, building your own custom mp character, a weapon upgrade system based on how well you perform in battle, great maps with randomization, 5 (?) different races with their own unique skills, a bunch of different modes like siege, and a multiplayer community that frequently gets together and uses tactics like spear walls and cavalry charges.

Outside of the mp, the graphics are much improved over the original. They still aren't spectacular by any means but there's some great effects going on and everything looks better and looks like it fits the characters better than the original. An hdr system that rivals the popular mod for the original is included too.

Most important of all, the gameplay is incredible because of the robust combat system. There's a forum topic on the Taleworld's message board that details all the fighting techniques and its pages long. I'm only halfway through. The combat isn't simply just swing and block. You can knock incoming attacks away by hitting the enemies' weapons away, feign attacks, stun enemies, etc etc.

This game is a ****ing classic. The only problem I have with it is the fact they put some type of warrior princess bull**** on as cover art. When you have the only realistic medieval game out there why the hell would you market it with a cover that looks like more fantasy ****? But anyway, I think alot of the RO community would have a blast with this. Check it out.

Upvote 0
hehehe, your last rant remembers me of the "frodogorn" discussion over the original box art when it finally got retail :D guess you have to attract people who don't know the game yet too.

lol i never saw that discussion but always thought the same thing. their concept artist is incredible and has done some of the coolest realistic medieval drawings i've ever seen. like this dude:

features_warband.png

Then they go ahead and take the single fantasy looking shot to promote the only realistic medieval combat game? Maybe there's more of a fanbase for the game with fantasy nerds but if I or any of the guy's I game with saw that we'd walk straight past it in the store. I think tons of realism gamers would get major bonewahs over this game if they knew about it. Marketing it as yet another bull**** fantasy game is definitely not gonna turn their heads.

Upvote 0
hehehe, your last rant remembers me of the "frodogorn" discussion over the original box art when it finally got retail :D

So I wasn't the only one who thought that? :D

Nothing wrong in the original box art though, just funny that first time I saw the game (before buying it) I was wondering did someone slip accidentally some LotR concept art in there or not.

Still undecided about getting Warband or not though, I've been enjoying the original more or less in the past few weeks and it's been quite pleasant surprise in terms of content among other things.

Upvote 0
In my single player game, as a mercenary contractually tied to the Sarranids for three months, I was for some reason awarded a fief that was not claimed yet (but should've been given to the man that controlled the adjacent castle, especially since both the town and castle bore the same name). Then later, we captured another castle, and while I took part in some of the peripheral battles, I did not actually attack the walls with my men, but this castle and its town were given to me too.

I ended up controlling three fiefs belonging to a faction, without actually being a vassal of that faction! Then when I swore vassalage, the first town I had became unclaimed again and was given to someone else. :confused: And for a brief moment, the game said I was a neutral king and asked me to assign party members to my lands, but this was quickly overruled by the vassalage and my game has since been bug-free lol It kinda sucks though, because I already sunk ~3000 into that town to build a mill and now it's gone.

Upvote 0
I played the beta and got a bit bored after a while but I'll probably buy this in the next few days since there's way more options in the actual full addon pack. Plus I want to support the developers. Around how many people online at peak hours?

Steam says 3000 peak for the day which makes it the 15th most popular. I dont really know how they get these numbers cause in this and other games I can't count how many they say there is in the server browser. I didnt count but I'm estimating about 500 if I counted the server browser.

The best part is its growing everyday I guess from word of mouth. Used to be one 64 man server now theres 3 or 4 or more and much more maxed out 32 man servers.

Upvote 0
Ze Germans got a less feminine cover art:
Mount&Blade_WARBAND_PC-Cover_DE.jpg

Ugly stickers though.

Really enjoyed the MP Beta, that alone might be worth it. SP seems hardly improved, especially with the plethora of mods that spiced up the original not yet available for Warband. Currently a bit worried about rumours that the key for retail versions is in fact a Steam product key, creating a detrimental and bothersome dependency. Does anyone here have more information on this?
The lenient online activation of the original Mount&Blade was very user friendly, I'd hate to see it dropped for such a filthy DRM scheme.

Upvote 0
The way I understand it is buying it on Steam is the same as buying it through the devs themselves except you get the standard Steam features like autoupdating. Steam gives you the CD-Key and the CD-Key is also listed in the registry. You can download the game from the dev's site so I'm pretty positive you could just stick that CD-Key that came from Steam into the install and have it standalone if you want.

I am pretty positive Steam is not required though and just an option. I remember during release there were plenty of people playing the full game while us Steam users waited an extra day.

Upvote 0