• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
I went to the cinema the other day to see Clash Of The Titans in 3D. I know that in 3D movies they release today, they film it using a camera that films two different angles simultaneously, am I right? I was watching the Toy Story 3 trailer in 3D. Toy Story is a fully CGI movie. So are videogames. If they can make a 3D picture with a CGI movie, can't they do it with games?

It would be awesome to see the future of games in 3D images, just like in the cinema.

Wouldn't you agree?

They already did it many years ago with CRT monitors and LCD shutter glasses.

Now, they're doing it again with LCD monitors and LCD shutter glasses (nvidia 3d overpricedvision - empty wallet/small screen edition).

You can do 3D with any monitor and LCD shutter glasses (the cheapest "method" right now). It's just worse with a lot of monitors due to ghosting images, and it halves the monitor's refresh effectively, so 120hz LCD is preferred for 60FPS. 60hz LCD with 30FPS might be too flickery, although I haven't tried it personally.

If you're interested in purchasing shutter glasses to play in 3D, you can just do a search for "LCD 3d shutter glasses" and go from there.

I had shutter glasses 5 years ago or so, but gave them away. Ironically, of all games I played, I remember blood 2 the most out of playing with them :) It was kind of awesome actually.

I'm waiting until they start making cheap 120hz LCD 37" monitors which can do 3D with glasses really well (no ghosting) before I try the technology again.

I think all these new 3DTVs are using prisms to separate right/left eye, or perhaps polarized or shutter glasses? IDK - haven't looked at them at all.

I don't think 3D is "the future" though. It's a nice gimmick, which I happen to like, but imo it's not going to become the norm, ever.

Edit: LOL, someone already beat me. Ironically, edimensional glasses is EXACTLY what I had 5-6 years ago. It's OLD, OLD, OLD tech... but it works :-D. As for price, ebay is your friend ;-). Bought mine for ~$40 if I remember correctly (YEARS ago in the CRT "era" still).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP, what the bloody heck does this have to do with Killing Floor?

I did not see the words 'zed, specimen, map, killing, floor, patriarch, M14, Crossbow, Pipebomb' etc. used in the OP.

Please note something that is relevant to KF, AS THIS IS THE GENERAL DISCUSSION OF THE GAME KILLING FLOOR.

Can't use bold, so I just used Caps. Apologies.

Upvote 0
lol, anyone every try Descent's 3d back in the day (back in 1995) where when you enabled 3d in its setup, it would make two screens on your one screen and you had to tape two mirrors (or butterknives) under your eyes and use those to see the screen?

it looked really really cool when you get it to work.

I played a crapload of Descent online, and I never heard of anybody doing this. Sounds interesting.

Upvote 0
I went to the cinema the other day to see Clash Of The Titans in 3D. I know that in 3D movies they release today, they film it using a camera that films two different angles simultaneously, am I right? I was watching the Toy Story 3 trailer in 3D. Toy Story is a fully CGI movie. So are videogames. If they can make a 3D picture with a CGI movie, can't they do it with games?

It would be awesome to see the future of games in 3D images, just like in the cinema.

Wouldn't you agree?

That depends, I think the technology has a long way to go to be decent. I have seen some 3d movies and at this point, I can't say I would like to see a game using that type of viewing experience.

Oh, for the record, I thought the 3D in "Clash of the Titans" was horrendous, blurry, extremely distracting and warped most of the time, in other words a real disappointment. If you must see it, watch it in 2D then at least the story will give the movie a chance

Upvote 0
Well, in this time I've actually modded my pc to play games with anaglyph 3-D.

http://www.iz3d.com/

Try it out if you get the chance, you don't need any fancy screen to use anaglyph. I've just played KF with it and it is the sex. :cool: Play it in a dark room, keep the screen close and it looks like win. I flinched a few times when firing Handcannons and I may have seriously damaged my vision with that red flashing screen you get when you have low health.

It was worth it. x_x

Upvote 0