• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Antigone

Matt

Mar 20, 2009
Yeh, I sorta ruined the ModDB page for the final build, so Tombo, the ENTIRE MAP was made by you now \o/ :D

Final build released, at least for the competition. You can download it here:

ZED/AM Direct Download OR
ModDB

Welcome to the Legend of Antigone ;)
(Click images to enlarge)

This map came around during a bad dream. All I remember in this dream was opening my eyes, being unable to move, and unable to scream, as more and more dirt was piled ontop of me. I decided there is not much scarier out there, than the thought of being buried alive. What a concept to make a map out of, aye?

Very tight, very claustrophobic, very dark, spooky. These are a few of my favourite things...also some of the words I wanted people to think of when they play this map.

Sticking to my theme of Greek Mythology(See also, Pandoras Box). KF-Antigone follows the tales of the lady herself, Antigone. It was really fun designing an ancient tomb, really not something I've ever done before. A challenge.

A team of researchers have found the supposed location of Antigones Tomb and were sent in to gather more information. A few weeks into the research, and the Specimen Outbreak was getting more and more out of control, as heavy vehicles passed by, and war waged on, seismic activity caused a cave in of Antigones sacred tomb.
The researchers should be kept safe, as long as there was no other way of entry, nothing could get at them. Due to this, a rescue team was not formed for several more weeks, with resources being low and other big priorities keeping help at bay.
Now, at 3 weeks since the cave-in, your squad is being sent in as a search and recover mission. I'm sure the researchers will appreciate the company.

This map has been in rigorous development for roughly a month, with the sole purpose of being ready for the 2nd wave of the mapping competition, after I realised just how much of a struggle Resistance was becoming, and how unusual a mapping scene it is for me.

Again, it's a single man show. With all custom content, and level design being made by me. I would appreciate some help however. No beta testers required, sorry.

I also put some techniques I've learnt, found cool, but never found a use for. This map seems to fit a lot, really its a blank slate which I build ontop of.

The hardest part of it all is keeping the level optimised, and manually sorting collision out with BlockingVolumes. Caves aren't really the most efficient scene to map, but I'm hoping this level will run a lot smoother than my previous map :)

Thanks. More info to come.

Last edited:
Am I able to post the map public before the competition? I wasn't all that sure...don't want to get disqualified over something stupid. :p

Progress is coming along smoothly. Finally added some zombie volumes, and pathnodes, and added doors to the traders. So its fully playable now...sortof....

Upvote 0
Oh :eek: Wow. I really didn't know that, I read the rules fully, guess I must of missed that part :p

lucky I posted it here, plan was to not post it at all...I just wanted to show it off a little bit before submission. Heh, now THAT would be an annoying way to be disqualified...

We are planning to have our first playtest tommorow or the day after. So I'll be sure to record us playing some :)

EDIT: Ahh, now I understand. I was off on a tangent...

Woo first play test on my own :)

The flashlight is absolutely essential in this level. Perhaps it would be wise of the medics to keep them lit up whilst the Commandos mow them down? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This map is AWESOME (I like it a lot), BUT:

1 - Crawlers get stuck in the hole next to the area where there's a plank. Test it and you'll see what I mean. They can't go through the hole for some reason, so you have to go there at the end of a wave and even throw a nade in sometimes when they get stuck around the corner in there.

2 - My server crashed after this map ended on two separate occasions (seems pretty consistent - map end => crash). IDK what's up with that, but it needs more testing.

I got it from the moddb link btw, but both should be identical anyway.

Also, can you work/reduce the boxes on the ramps in the main area a bit? They're really annoying right now... it seems there's just more than there needs to be - I bump into invisible walls sometimes.

Other than that, the map plays fine.

Upvote 0
Great little map, the action can get really claustrophobic in these caverns.

Just one suggestion: Redo the lighting. There's way too much bloom overall and it causes some bugs.

Bugs found:
- Looking from some points (trader room doorways usually), the supposedly dark caverns bask in bright white bloom.
- There's a boulder that you can walk through and exit the normal map area.
- There's an unreachable ammo box, it's half-buried in the ground.

Upvote 0
i​e;513637 said:
Great little map, the action can get really claustrophobic in these caverns.

Just one suggestion: Redo the lighting. There's way too much bloom overall and it causes some bugs.

Bugs found:
- Looking from some points (trader room doorways usually), the supposedly dark caverns bask in bright white bloom.
- There's a boulder that you can walk through and exit the normal map area.
- There's an unreachable ammo box, it's half-buried in the ground.

Found the same issues as IE. The map has been gaining popularity on my servers.

As said above about the crawlers. They can get stuck. Not always. As you leave the spawn you make a right. Go to the other tunnel and make another right. Go all the way to the end and you see your plank cat walk. They are getting stuck in the whole where they come out of the rocks.

The player spawn point is also a good place to hold out. LOL. Just camp the entrance. There are not to many place defensible in the map. It makes it a hard core experience on Hard mode.

The mapper may think about a hole, or some kind of spawn point, on the other end of the tunnel where the players spawn. So you just can not camp the entrance. Just an idea.

Overall great map. Took a few rounds of dying quick to get a strategy going.

Last edited:
Upvote 0