• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Soldier and his weapon

*bump*

so..we all read that the longer you play your ingame character starts to look worn out BUT gets shinyer weapons. ( but shouldent it be the other way around ? you start with something brandnew and it wears out over time ? sounds more logical to me...you could pick up a weapon from some newbie KEEP that *might carry on over some maps* and having a brand new one again that way ? )

I was wondering since mentioned in this topic if this could also be linked to the use or beign spawned with russian weaponary after you played a longer time ?

Also, it could be that your "rank" ( meaning the graphical representation of your character ) gets displayed in some way. like medals, collar taps ect....Diffrent pieces of uniform, specialy on the maps that present the later stages of the stalingrad battle. I really digg the diversity in uniforms DH had.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They were used only in end war in Germany.

Totally wrong. They were used in HIGH NUMBERS in stalingrad!

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_116-168-618%2C_Russland%2C_Kampf_um_Stalingrad%2C_Soldat_mit_MPi.jpg
(pic from stalingrad)

the german army captured large amounts of soviet weapons (PPD and PPSh) in the first succesful year of their campain.
And with large numbers i mean more than 10.000!

"The PPSh-41 was a favored weapon of the German soldiers. If the Germans could find PPSh-41s, they captured them and used them. The similarity between the Russian used ammunition (7.62x25mm Tokarev, like that of the TT-33 pistol) and the German ammunition meant that the German forces could use their 7.63x25mm Mauser cartridges in the PPSh-41."

read the whole article here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*bump*

so..we all read that the longer you play your ingame character starts to look worn out BUT gets shinyer weapons. ( but shouldent it be the other way around ? you start with something brandnew and it wears out over time ? sounds more logical to me...you could pick up a weapon from some newbie KEEP that *might carry on over some maps* and having a brand new one again that way ? )

I was wondering since mentioned in this topic if this could also be linked to the use or beign spawned with russian weaponary after you played a longer time ?

Also, it could be that your "rank" ( meaning the graphical representation of your character ) gets displayed in some way. like medals, collar taps ect....Diffrent pieces of uniform, specialy on the maps that present the later stages of the stalingrad battle. I really digg the diversity in uniforms DH had.

Yeah but how would that be motivating, the longer you play the ****tier your gun looks lol

Upvote 0
I am pleased to inform you that while playing with Ramm-Jaeger on TWB's Old Glory today, he confirmed to me in person that there will be German capture PPSH-41s in HoS.

Whether he was being clever and playing on the ambiguities of the question, I do not know, but suffice to say at least you will be able to pick up PPSH's off the ground in HoS and quite possibly be able to spawn with them just like the Squad Leader's SVT-40 in the shakey cam demo vid.

Upvote 0
I am pleased to inform you that while playing with Ramm-Jaeger on TWB's Old Glory today, he confirmed to me in person that there will be German capture PPSH-41s in HoS.

Whether he was being clever and playing on the ambiguities of the question, I do not know, but suffice to say at least you will be able to pick up PPSH's off the ground in HoS and quite possibly be able to spawn with them just like the Squad Leader's SVT-40 in the shakey cam demo vid.

Hero unlock maybe. Gives you more weapons to choose from as you "level up", but not an unfair advantage as newbies can simply loot dropped PPSH's.

Upvote 0
I think most of us are hoping the 'Heroes' bit is purely cosmetic. Leveling up ala KF just doesn't fit a game like RO (imo). Being able to carry over experience between non-contiguous public skirmishes sounds like an immersion breaker. We like our simple, hastily assembled conscripts :)

Yeah, I agree. Although I wouldn't mind new weapon unlocks that don't give you too much of an advantage over newer players. For example, as a German, you would be able to select a looted PPSH, or a converted PPSH in 9mm. Or as a Russian soldier you would be able to select the M44 over the standard-issue Mosin Nagant.

I also wouldn't mind a few weapon unlocks that do give you an advantage, such as being able to select the StG-44 as a German "hero". But such unlocks should be the exception to the rule. And there should still be Assault classes that can select the StG-44 without leveling up.

In other words, I hope that leveling up in RO:HoS will be mostly cosmetic.

Cosmetic could be: scratches and other signs of wear appearing on your weapon (and yes, this is cool, it shows that you've been through some **** and used your weapon a lot), being able to select slightly different uniforms (rolled up sleeves? D: ) having a beard, changes in face (furrowed brow, thousand yard stare) etc.

EDIT: so you might go from this:

To this:

Last edited:
Upvote 0