• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

ahh the amiga classic - realtime were pioneers of 3d graphics games in the 80s

back to arma2 couple of quick q's, particularly in reference to it's current state of patching
- what DRM/protection does it have - can you use a 2nd hand copy or is the cd key regestered to an account play online?
How does it run in comparison to Arma on an identical machine, is it more demanding or does it actually run smoother due to better optimisation?
Does it suffer from textures updating slowly and doing wierd things like arma did - for example a vehicle revealing itself to be destroyed only when you zoom in or move towards it. I hated that.

Is it less awkward to play?

Amount of teamwork mostly depends on communication and the group you're playing with. But co-op definitely leaves more room for teamwork, not PVP (in public games at least)....

well generally yes but i think PR is the exception.
The teamwork and comms in PR public is up there with the sixth sense vietcong coop i've experienced - and far better than i've found in public arma coop, which, one you've got your lift to the frontline, is pretty non-existant.

Upvote 0
How does it run in comparison to Arma on an identical machine, is it more demanding or does it actually run smoother due to better optimisation?
Does it suffer from textures updating slowly and doing wierd things like arma did - for example a vehicle revealing itself to be destroyed only when you zoom in or move towards it. I hated that.

I'm not sure how it runs on the same machine, but probably a little slower. There are a billion ways to optimize the graphics, though, so there's always hope.

And the stuttering pop-in of textures is exactly the same as in Arma--annoying.

Upvote 0
Did anyone else have rather heavy FPS drops throughout the campaign? First few missions went real smooth but now I'm(or was, when I played it last time like 2months ago) at the first 'multi-objective mission' and performance is rather bad now :/

This is a normal occurance.
The initial missions have a pretty small scale, but the more the game opens up, the more AI there are and the more scripts to take care of.
The later missions put a heavier strain on your rig then the first small-scale missions.
You basically go from around 50 AI to hundreds of AI fighting all over the map.

Upvote 0