• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

melee gets no "headshot" damage?

We're dealing with two different things here:

There's decapitation, which melee weapons can certainly do.

Then there's head shot damage modifier, which most guns have 1.1, M14 and Lever action have 2.0, and crossbow is 6.0

All melee weapon have 1.0 head shot damange modifier, so they do the same damage to the body as to head, HOWEVER melee weapon can cause decapitation as normal.

Upvote 0
We're dealing with two different things here:

There's decapitation, which melee weapons can certainly do.

Then there's head shot damage modifier, which most guns have 1.1, M14 and Lever action have 2.0, and crossbow is 6.0

All melee weapon have 1.0 head shot damange modifier, so they do the same damage to the body as to head, HOWEVER melee weapon can cause decapitation as normal.

...So does this mean you do the same damage on the patriarch with a katana bodyshot, as you would with a katana headshot?

Say patriarch has full health, what happens?

Upvote 0
Saw vs Katana

Saw vs Katana

I did some testing on body shots and head shots with Katana and Saw a while back. It appears that the saw body damage is higher but head shot damage lower then the katana. Imo it depends on what your going for. If you going for decaps, never use a saw, you have a better chance with a knife then a saw, however, the saw does do some good body damage, and can take out target fast. If you remember, Clots, gorefasts, Stalkers, husks, and Scrakes are stunned if you use an alt-fire body shot. So that leaves Sirens, Fleshpounds, and Crawlers to look out for.

I know ppl will think I am crazy and stand firm by "the Katana is way better", but the saw can still be useful. You just can't get the decap insta-kill. Try it if you dont beleive me

Upvote 0
...So does this mean you do the same damage on the patriarch with a katana bodyshot, as you would with a katana headshot?

Say patriarch has full health, what happens?

Like I said, all weapons in the game can perform "head shots" for the bonus damage and decapitation. Head shots with any weapon will do more than body shots, but it's not really a head shot with the melee weapons as much as a neck shot.

To answer your question: no, a head shot and a body shot don't do the same damage, with any weapon. Good luck trying to land a head shot on a patriarch with the katana.

Upvote 0
No all weapon can score headshot damage that count towards decapitation (but not all specimen can be decapitated with 1 hit, particularly not the ones with 'hard head' attribute), However not all weapon have the same headshot damage modifiers. Melee weapon have modifier of 1.0, so they do the same damage to body or head, but that 1.0 x damage is still counted towards decapitation, hence why you can take off gorefast heads with 1 katana hit.

Most guns have 1.1 modifier, lever action and M14 have 2.0 and crossbow have 6.0 (which is very visible when playing)

Now when a decapitation occures, the specimen will take a large chunk of damage instantly, start bleeding out and also start taking bonus incoming damage. You can see this easily if you are a commando. On normal clot's HP is low enough that decapitation damage is enough to instantly kill it regardless of remaining HP. However on hard if you decapitate the clot with something weak like 9mm, the clot have enough total HP that decapitation damage plus one 9mm hit won't kill it, in which case it will start walking around headlessly. This is because both head HP and total HP are scaled up by difficulty but decaptation damage is fixed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Missed a comma.

Yes, all weapon (well actually I'm told flamethrower, grenade launchers and LAW can't) cause decapitation. However not all weapon have the same damage multiplier. Melee weapon have 1.0 multiplier, so it does the same damage weather you land your hit on the head or the body.

I've gotten head shots with a flamethrower on a bloat, so I know that it's possible (it died the moment my stream hit its head, and it wasn't already on fire nor had anyone shot at it).

so if i understand correctly, the only difference between a melee body shot and a melee headshot is the chance of a decap, and because the melee haedshot dmg modifier is 1.0, there is no actual difference in the damage. is this accurate?

If the damage modifier is in fact 1.0, then yes, you got it right. I'm not sure that it is, but it's hard to test.

Upvote 0
Decap is not chance based, specimen have both head HP and total HP. Doing damage to a specimen's body will only reduce it's total HP. Hitting it in the head will reduce both it's head HP and total HP.

Once the head HP reaches zero (and specimen isn't protected by 'hard head' attribute), decapitation will occure and it will lose a large (but not necessarily fatal) chunk of the remaining total HP.

Upvote 0