• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Extra passive skill for Beserkers idea

Marls

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Well I want to lay this out as an idea

Well Beserkers get things like, damage resistance, faster melee attacks, more melee damage, quicker run speed etc etc as well as other classed get stuff

But I thought they could add another ability for the Beserker.

Why not have a passive ability, Say like when the berseker reaches under 40% of health, damage is incressed say like 10 - 25 %. under 20 % health, damage is from 30 - 50 %. Or maybe attack speed increased in stead.

But I think you guys get what I mean. Its like the beserker should have extra adrenaline when hes near death.

Opinions ? sound idea or not ? O_O

An ability that only kicks in if you're half dead and remains useless otherwise doesn't sound good at all.

Why not? If you are surrounded by enemies and get below 50% hp, wouldnt it be nice if you got an adrenaline boost and was able to insta-kill anything except scrakes and fleshpounds without having to aim for the neck?

I dont think anyone would be stupid enough to jump off edges of buildings to gain this ability, I mean, which one is better, full health with normal damage or half health with increased damage?
---> My point is, it would be useful in tight situations but rather useless if activated by hurting yourself. After all, you would be screwed when a siren came along, espially on suicidal.

Maybe, if you added yet another ability for the zerker to go along with this one, it might work better. Imagine, if he slowly gained HP after he goes below that 50% hp, up to max of 50 hp. So, after he goes on low hp, he "rages" and starts regenerating. After like 20 seconds or so, his HP would be back up to 50 which would also end his rage (or if he had like 49hp the rage effect would last 1 second LOL...).

I dont think this combination would be necessarily overpowered, because on harder difficulties you can get killed with one hit when below 50% of hp. So, even tho he had that regenerating power up to 50hp he would still be weak and vurnerable, especially against husks, sirens and fleshpounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah but shouldn't it all be balanced with normal mode in mind, not harder modes?

AFAIK normal is 100% of everything. Zeds have 100% health, do 100% damage.. yet on harder difficulties they do say 125% damage and so one.

Well, I like to start balancing things out from the hardest difficulty, because that way it kinda automatically works out for the rest. I mean, if you get killed by one hit on suicidal, it would be 1-2 hits on hard and 2-3 hits on normal and so forth. Just like it should be, right?

I just think its easier that way around.

Upvote 0
Why not? If you are surrounded by enemies and get below 50% hp, wouldnt it be nice if you got an adrenaline boost and was able to insta-kill anything except scrakes and fleshpounds without having to aim for the neck?
What would that be good for? If you're surrounded with 50% hp, you're dead.
It makes no difference if you can stun or kill gorefasts in 1 hit in that case at all.

For the most part, running around with 50% hp is like playing in sudden death mode.
You do not want that so why adding a skill that requires you to do just that?

So what would make more sense than additional damage would be an increased move speed cause you know all you wanna do is getting the hell away from enemies if they knock you below 50 hp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It makes no difference if you can stun or kill gorefasts in 1 hit in that case at all.

For the most part, running around with 50% hp is like playing in sudden death mode.
You do not want that so why adding a skill that requires you to do just that?

So what would make more sense than additional damage would be an increased move speed cause you know all you wanna do is getting the hell away from enemies if they knock you below 50 hp.

You're getting the wrong idea really. Its more a defensive skill, but people could use it for offense if they really wanted, But if they use it for offense, even with full armor Sirens would most likely eat you up. If thats the risk you want to take, go for it. Think of it more as a trigger when getting the **** kicked out of you. Adrenaline rush or refusing to die mentality. Being near death, you want to give it everything you got to stay alive. Thats the idea behind this suggestion.

Personally, I dont think increased movement speed is viable. Because it can be seen as a way to cheat death Or escape the clutches of death. Some degree it may be considered overpowerd. But increased damage, faster swings, health regen (someone else suggested) are plausable ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Depends on the difficulty and the enemies you are surrounded by.

Id go for both. Something like +25% damage and +15% speed. Could be more or less.

Hm, other idea with the same purpose: when berserker's health drops down to 25% it automatically triggers zed time + berserkers should not get movement speed penalty when seriously injured.

O_O

That sounds like a great idea, but if its as low as 25% he should get temporary damage resistance boost or something so he wouldnt get instakilled by a crawler. So basically he would be almost indestructible during that zedtime but once its gone he is vurnerable again.

Or I dont know... Not much time to think about it cause I have to get going for work soon.

Upvote 0
That sounds like a great idea, but if its as low as 25% he should get temporary damage resistance boost or something so he wouldn't get instakilled by a crawler. So basically he would be almost indestructible during that zedtime but once its gone he is vulnerable again.

Yeah, that completes my idea.

So, let's say, if berserker's health is 35 hp or less, he gets zed time (that can be normally expanded by kills) in which he's having major damage resistance boost, let's say up to 75%.
Effect ceases as soon as zed time does, so someone jumping off a ledge with no specimen around gets nothing but single zed time, and someone surrounded by foes will have a fighting chance.
Also, to re-enable this ability again, berserker must first regain all his hp, so basically player can't do the adrenaline zedtime-quick heal-hit-adrenaline zedtime again combo.

Upvote 0
So...the only way to get a real damage boost as a Zerker on harder difficulties would be to sit at below 50% health? Are you kidding me!? Most enemies in Hard alone take more than 50% health in one hit...even with damage reduction, you're just making yourself a 1-hit kill...

Thats what you pay for increased speed and damage :p

Upvote 0