• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Calling all RO vets

Floyd

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Waterproof
www.ro50pc.net
Calling all RO vets!!!
You attendance ingame is desperately needed.

Last night I had the mis-fortune of joining (a rather large and popular) server playing Stalingrad Kessel. The game was about 1/2 way through. I joined as a Soviet and noticed that the only objective capped was the Warehouse.

Unchallenged I went around to the southern most door of the Assembly Hall. It was not yet blown. I asked for a Combat Engineer. No one responded, so I looked for other ways to enter. Not a single door was blown! I had to enter from the front.

No one was is in the cap, so I ask for help in the capzone. Everyone was instructed (by more than just one person) to just sit tight, not to worry about cap zones and to just kill Germans. We would win the map by wiping out their re-eforcments. I informed my teammates that we were playing Red Orchestra and NOT Call of Duty. I implored that the game was about capturing/defending objectives and it was not about playing Team Death Match. I was promptly told to "STFU" and that the Soviets would win by killing all the Axis.

Long story short.... Not that I didn't think it was possible, but when I realized I was speaking to deaf ears, I left the server. I refuse to defile RO by playing in that manner. An acquaintance that was on the map with me stayed. He informed me that the Axis did indeed lose from attrition and that the Soviets never captured anything but the Warehouse.

:eek: Both sides were apparently content to play Team Death Match.:eek:

Lets hope that this isn't RO in its last throws before breathing its last.........I hope not.:(

Wow that's so sad! I haven't played lately because my internet has been utter crap but as soon as I get the problem fixed, I'll join in and try to resurrect some good RO gameplay.

Kessel has always been one of my favorite maps because of the intense capping going back and forth and the epic struggle to hold on to the warehouse and North Railyard.

Upvote 0
Well, I didn't see anything QUITE that bad last night, I still see what you mean.

Playing at TWB Europe last night, we were at Zhitomir1941, attacking as Germans. Although a lot of folks were trying to make it through to cap the apartments, there were still maybe 1/3 of the team either (A) getting murdered in the courtyard or (B) hanging back by the wall taking rifle potshots at the Russians across the courtyard. Later on, after we had FINALLY capped the apartments and the basement, guys would spawn in the basement and take off like they were headed BACK to the apartments instead of up to the churchyard. There's nothing wrong with that, it just shows the relative inexperience of these players, getting lost on the map. In the churchyard, I was able to exhort some people to "Get in the CAP!" and we got that one pretty quickly...but not in time to get the last cap.

Inexperienced RO players are not a bad thing, but only in that they try to learn and play the game the way it should be played. One guy from last night, Karl, was asking legitimate questions about the gameplay and weapons....and generally acted like he was in it to win it. Those are the guys we need, and the ones we need to encourage as we roll into RO2. The others...well the best we can do is TRY to help them understand what RO is about, and what their roles are for the given classes they are playing as.

For starters, if you are not in a cap zone you'd better be on your way to one. And not just any cap-zone, but one that is capturable. If you are assault or rifleman class, your primary job is to cap and kill. Kills without caps mean nothing in RO. If you are hanging back in cover, pixel hunting for shots...then you are not helping your team win. The only classes that should perhaps hang back, and who may have an excuse to NOT be in a cap zone are snipers and machine gunners. If any of you newer players just happen to read this, just remember: RO is a TEAM game. If you play it how it is meant to be played, you may see what has kept some of us playing it for all these years. If not, chances are you will get frustrated and go back to TDM on a CoD server. Totally your call, but IMO the Team Death Match mentality pales in comparison to what RO offers, when properly played.

Good seeing ya last nite Floyd.

Upvote 0
It was better last night and got better as the night went on. There was a lot of prodding players to get up and move however. Eventually, for the most part, they obliged.

I may have joined on a particularly "bad" night the other night. But I was dumbfounded at how both teams were content to play TDM on Stalingrad Kessel that night. All the Axis had to do was sit back, but they kept charging even though the Soviets weren't. And when I was told "stfu. Nobody worry about capping." and the game wasn't half over........well, I just left.

I'm all for helping the new guys out, but the "team leaders" that night were getting the new players off on the wrong foot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The TDM mentality of new players can be very frustrating, it even extends to tank maps like BDJ. for example, where at the start of the round, you see the Axis players leaving the spawn, getting to the first rise, and just sitting there waiting on the Allied tanks to appear, when of course they should be trying to cap the first two cap zones, and it seems like no amount of persuasion, pleading,shouting or cursing will coax them to move up and attack.
They prefer to just sit there and slug it out, or they take one hit, jump out the tank and run round like headless chickens, with just a smoke nade or a pistol in their hand. (that always makes me laugh)

Upvote 0
Still wearing the tag proudly along with Jaakko ;)
I miss the mod days were everyone was "family". I usually just call out enemies if I see them. No point in trying to tell people to get in cap, already know they won't listen lol.

God damn it so do I :(, I miss going into a server and knowing 80% of the ppl ingame, now when I play RO I don't know any of the names, mind you the mod player base was tiny even compared to the population that play retail these days.

TBH Even when retail first came out on a lot of the bigger servers ppl just didn't play the game how it was meant to be played they were more interested in their score :(, I remember when I used to go on the popular retail servers when retail first came out and just watch in awww as wave after wave of Germans would be rushing konigsplatz instead of defending and most of the times we would lose.

All this said the [SPLAT] server was always good with plenty of them using the ingame voip and lots of teamwork plus me and Pagan couldn't get banned because you were allowed to swear :p.

Upvote 0
Well so long as there isn't some form of restrictive method in the gameplay to force people to operate as teams and to always go and cap an area, then don't expect much to change, as so long as the gameplay remains as open and un-restrictive as it currently is, people are going to play as they please.

And if it bugs you that much, stick to private servers or servers you know of that enforce the proper method of gameplay..... I do.

Personally speaking, I join into a game to play the game as it should be, which is capping/defending.... and thats my default way of gameplay. If there is no team play or organization, I usually take the officer class and start dishing out orders and information to help out my team so they can see there's a plan in place and it can work.

But every so often I end up on a server where nobody listens, nobody follows orders or information and they would just rather pick each other off. Most of the time I don't really care that much and if the majority want to play that way, so shall I.... I'm there to enjoy the game and there's more ways then just one in regards to enjoying the game.

Of course most times if the game play is just ridiculous, then I'll leave the server to go somewhere else.... but I can flex to what everybody else is doing most of the time.

One thing I hate, which I think adds to this Deathmatch mentality are those damn stupid maps people throw in the cycle of just a small warehouse or building with both teams spawning as bolts or pistols and the only objective is to kill one another.

Those are just a complete waste of time and space, as all you do it shoot one another in a confined space with bolt rifles.... over and over and over again until reinforcements are out. The sad thing is those maps are almost always filled with players.

I'm guessing these players spill out into the other servers/maps and keep the same game style going.

As well, newer players will be more then happy to just sit back where it's safe to practice their shots, while thinking the other experienced players will do the dirty work and cap.

Don't forget about the occasional map where everybody is told to use only bayos or pistols and then it's just one big cluster of idiots smacking each other around in the middle of the map.... and you get kicked for trying to play the game right.

Unless some sort of system is brought into the game to force people to play and follow commands a certain way, I wouldn't expect these type of people to disappear anytime soon..... and a system that forces you to play a certain way, thus limitations?

I think I'd prefer the current way things are. I can find plenty of servers where the majority of players play right and if the rest of the arse clowns want to stay on their servers and do their deathmatch thing, so much the better.... so long as I can play the game I believe it should be played.

Upvote 0
An example of what I mean...
6feb10.png

Upvote 0
Unless some sort of system is brought into the game to force people to play and follow commands a certain way, I wouldn't expect these type of people to disappear anytime soon..... and a system that forces you to play a certain way, thus limitations?

Yeah that would definitely be a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Upvote 0
Play here and you won't experience that problem.

Hips NA server: 68.232.162.119:7757

It's admined by different people from different clans. We got a lot of vets on the server last night and had it almost full. We're trying to tear all the regular NA RO players away from danzig only servers. Come play RO the way it was meant to be played with different maps and map voting at the end of each round.

Upvote 0
Play here and you won't experience that problem.

Hips NA server: 68.232.162.119:7757

It's admined by different people from different clans. We got a lot of vets on the server last night and had it almost full. We're trying to tear all the regular NA RO players away from danzig only servers. Come play RO the way it was meant to be played with different maps and map voting at the end of each round.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it! I don't do 24/7 Danzig, I'm usually on one of The Wild Bunch European servers, or sometimes the Old Farts or aTo. I like TWB generally, but being in Texas I'd much rather play a bit more local. Pings below 100 are nice!

Upvote 0
I can vouch for the Hips server =) Was on there last night with alot of vets. Yes it has a couple of those bayo maps but if most people vote for it, then thats what they want, and it was great fun, alot of old memories of early RO.
Think I just found a new favorite server. Danzig isn't bad but it gets repetitive after a while and good to have choices. ;)

Upvote 0