• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lack of Publicity...

which is probably exactly one of the reasons why like most other companies you don't hear anything about games till they get closer and closer to release.

Valve continually talked about Half Life 2 almost as soon as Half Life 1 was released..... they rambled on and on about what they're putting in here, what new things are there, how far along production they were, estimated time tables for release.... being a couple of years later after that date, more hype, more people getting pissy in their pants and more people coming into the community just to see what was all going on..... the half-life forums were actually what brought me into forums back in 1998 and it was that game that brought me into FPS's and online gameplay.

If it wasn't for the level of marketing and how they played that marketing off the market base as much as they did, I probably wouldn't have even known about the game, let alone attempt to play it.

Who knows? I could be playing Kirby on the Gameboy still today if it wasn't fer that..... may never even gotten into Red Orchestra when I really think about how I got into Unreal Tournament.

In order for the few months towards the release to fill the community with loads of news every week, to keep them pumped you need to hold info back till its time. I just hope that perhaps TWI can get a Showcase on Gametrailers and other game television shows when the time gets there. And even though word of mouth being the key for TWI in most cases, i hope they are planning to spend some money on marketing.

But then again till that time even screenshots with pictures of nearly nothing would make us all happy for the time being :p

Agreed... I don't think TripW needs to go on as much of an open door marketing approach as Valve (Valve did end up with a few headaches for their efforts) But as you said, tossing out screen shots, samples of models and maps..... etc... just things like that until they have something solid, is all that would be needed.

And yes, getting on those video game shows, interviews, etc. will make a big difference.

Outside of these forums, I run my own forums for a few Canadian Bands I grew up listening to which mainly focuses on one band in particular. That band in question was in my opinion one of the best bands to come to the mic in the last 20 years, they were pretty big in the 90's here in Canada, huge in Australia and a few other places in Europe.... Germany I heard was quite into them.

They got popular primarily by as you mentioned, Word of Mouth. Fans told other people who eventually became fans as well, and so on. All the women I had relationships with are now fans of the band.

But the thing was, they could have been so much more bigger, but they didn't want to get all "Commercial"..... but if you put together a band and have a record company behind you, being commercial is part of the game, it's your job after all.

My point being is that just relying on word of mouth isn't the most secure approach to marketing your product.

Upvote 0
There is no point advertising it too early, it will just create bad impressions for everyone.

As much as there might be new footage and improved stuff to show, knowing how the general consensus is that "WW2 is so 80s, so boring, so ****ty" and let's add that TWI is relatively unknown developer when it comes to global market. Instead of people getting hyped or even interesting, they'll just probably dismiss it as yet another ****ty WW2 game (as part of general consensus). You could compare it to modding scenes and releasing some ok sounding mod as buggy pre-early alpha just to give a sneak peak to users - notably high majority would just dismiss it as god awful bull**** and never touch it again - even if it were to become new masterpiece.

I am quite sure they'll pull off more or less interesting advertisements of the game once the time is right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well we don't even know how far out RO:HOS still is. Remember, they've got two entire Singleplayer campaigns to build which takes a lot of time I'm sure, along with all the skinning, scripting, coding, animating, and modeling that goes with it.

Tripwire has hardly been posting any info for US let alone advertising to the rest of the world. It's my opinion that they are just too far away from release to start the hype machine. As many have stated, TWI is still a small developer and doesn't have unlimited advertising funds. They aren't going to start advertising until the game gets closer to a complete state.

Other wise, they'll blow their cash too early, or worse, lose all their momentum leading up to release, kinda like Starcraft 2 with all this delay business.

Upvote 0
it's sad for us the consumer but it's better off from a business standpoint. announcing too soon while perhaps still in a beta stage would be terrible. look how bad it gets just when there's announcements for content updates, like seen in KF for example. announcing it's coming before it's even close to being finished, just gets people annoyed when it's a month later and nothing's released yet.

but just think how great that day will be once there finally is a release date announced. :)

Upvote 0
So i have read the fresh article with new screens about HOS in Igromania - the game kkeps looking more arcade - it has radar,instant healing with medkits and non interactive surroundings. Moreover the graphics looks outdated even now...

gimme gimme I say!!!!

instant healing, i dont like where this is going. are we going to pull out bullets, like in Farcry 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
euhm the igromania one is an old article (july 2009) as far as i know. Its the one that describes the journey of TWI to Stalingrad (nowadays wolgograd).

And it pretty much doesnt say anything new gameplay wise. The radar is shown in the videos of HOS as well which shows your friendly teammates we still dont know the difference between relaxed and realistic realism even. The biggest new thing was that the igromania announced a 2010 release date before it was posted on the 1C site.

And from the translation i got made no mention of medpacks, rather mentioning the bandaging system in a similar fasion to the PC gameplay article. Tbh the nicest part of that article was the discussion with tripwire about their trip.

So either there is a new version out telling new stuff. As personally i think that medpacks arent even usefull in the first place as you die in 1 shot.
----

I've found that they officially released some article so you can read it here (might not be complete):

http://www.igromania.ru/articles/58002/Red_Orchestra_Heroes_of_Stalingrad.htm

or in english with google translate (there are probably loads of inaccuracies):

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.igromania.ru%2Farticles%2F58002%2FRed_Orchestra_Heroes_of_Stalingrad.htm&sl=ru&tl=en

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is THE NEW article in February 2010 issue of paper magazine. As far as i understood they tested the version which is at 1C publishers disposal.
If someone wants i can send pictures from an article.

PS Forgot one thing - in article it says that they have surface penetration( hope in wont turn in COD style 3-meter concrete wall penetration by 9mm gun) ....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
penetration is nothing new either, thats already in the videos and pc gameplay articles as well. Sure i would be interested in the genuine article. But its not allowed to post it in here, as that would be considered warez ;).

Anyway are you sure the healing described is not the same as in the other articles aka the ability to bandage each other. Rather than medic packs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0