• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam Christmas Sale Thread

I bought M2TW when it first came out, got it from D2D. I'm so f&^%ing pissed off about it, still. They never patched it past ... uhh ... I don't remember what the version number was, but it wasn't to where the retail or the steam versions got patched to, and I couldn't take the license code over to Steam and do it there. (I could with UTIII, couldn't with M2TW and COD:2 ... not sure why ... )

Anyway. M2TW never worked right for me, and I'm not willing to pay - even 4.99 - to buy it again.

Love ETW, though. Bought that through Steam, so I should be good to go with patches ...

Upvote 0
Chaos Theory is great. Glad you are enjoying it.

But stay away from Double Agent. Some much stuff was reused, yet it is a buggy mess with horrid graphics (especially the lighting) that ruin gameplay.

The shadows are either darker a cave 100 meters below the earth, or as bright as the sun. Pick your choice. IMO, it kills gameplay in a stealth game that relies on darkness.

And not, monitor/in game settings can not fix it. I got the Steam version.

Upvote 0
The Danes, I swear... with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'... You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. Knock it off already...

Haha, this is so quoteworthy I'm going to use it in my sig on TWcenter if thats ok with you REZ?

Also do try the Deus Lo Vult or Stainless Steel mods, they allow you to play all factions. Or if you're into Tolken - Third Age :)

Upvote 0
I'm enjoying GTA IV so ****ing much. Sure, fps averages between 24 - 30 on medium settings @ 1680x1050, but I've gotten used to it and it's still playable. 29 fps ain't so bad (but I'd rather have 45 - 50). I'm even willing to put up with the abomination of DRM it has, and that says a lot coming from me. Luckily I'm not interested in the multiplayer, otherwise I'd have to create a RS* Social Club account instead of just installing it. Now I can just click "Skip login" and start playing. There are a couple of fps tweaks, but I haven't tried them yet.

But man, what a brilliant game. Definitely worth it, especially if you enjoyed previous GTA's. It's an amazing game that is plagued by average framerates and obtrusive DRM. If RS* ever decides to make a GTA V, I hope they'll un**** themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bought Shattered Horizons and the gameplay is brilliant. Very innovative take on the FPS genre. The six degrees of freedom and the ability to be attacked from literally anywhere is really neat, and hard to deal with. It's got a learning curve but I'm adjusting.

However, given the system specs, I assumed this game would look good. I put all settings on high and the game doesn't look anything like the screenshots. Shadows are crappy "dot" shadows, textures are all flat with no detail - just solid colors, unless you have the Shader setting at least in the middle (balanced)...which seems really strange. Never heard of not even bothering to make textures before. The game would probably run on lower end PCs if you didn't have the shaders basically creating the textures.

And since you're out in space there's two textures you see the most - the stars and planets, and those textures are pretty low-res and fuzzy. Seems stupid that those weren't the highest resolution textures since they are often the biggest objects in the game that you look at.

It does suck that everyone has the same gun, gets a little boring, but there are different ways to use it. I'd like to see different classes for sure.

The game's fun, but I think the system requirements are so high because of crappy coding of the graphics engine, because the graphics don't look that taxing. But whatever. I'm having fun with it so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Weird, sounds like something is not working for you correctly. I was impressed by Shattered Horizon's graphics. Liked the cold space feel and the textures looked detailed and sharp to me.

But maybe my memory is cheating on me because I only played the game for an hour when it was first released didn't feel like touching it again even though I liked it. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Try put some AA on. I saw a huge difference and game look's really nice now. Lightning and the planets look really nice, I guess that was one of the motivation to go only DX10. I can't really complain about the graphics, I have never seen such a beatiful and yet so rough game at the same time :D.

I have been playing this for a couple of hours now and it's definetely something new. I like how the levels feels different depending in which angle I approach them. Really needs more levels tho. and some new ideas to make this game more team oriented.

I would shell out that 5$ for this game, atleast it's another indie developer that puts some effort in their games.

Upvote 0
Crysis is great. Not issues with the copy protection here. Normal Crysis requires the CD, but Warhead/Wars doesn't. Not an issue for Steam.

Mess Effect is a good game. Pretty open ended, but not FO3 open ended. Still a bit linear. The side missions are mostly repeats of each other and get old quickly. Aside from offering more points to level up, most of them are useless.

Voice acting and the story is good though.

Most weapons feel the same to.

Overall, a great game. At $5, buy it.

Upvote 0
Mass Effect is Bioware's game, so story is quite good and has the usual good or bad thing, would you rather listen people whining or shoot them in the face ect.
Combat is like Gears of Wars mixed with KOTOR, you take cover and shoot the enemy, you also have 2 other guys with you and the ai controls them. Guns don't have ammo but they overheat, you can do magic like attacks, you can pause the combat and have this tactical view in where you can give orders/use special abilities ect. It's a nice change from the usual watching automated attacks and just giving special ability orders.

Ending is really good and opens new room for a sequel, which comes out in next month. This is a good time to play it.
If you just play the story and ignore the side quests it takes around 12-18 hours to finish.

Once you get past the boring start the game has a lot of depth in it. It just pulls you in its world and the time just flies when you play it. Couple of hours in the game and I found that I can't stop playing it, it really is that good. This is one of those rare games that can do that to you. It's not that hard as Dragon Age is, so this one is a nice relatively easy ride from start to finish.

Upvote 0
Mass Effect is Bioware's game, so story is quite good and has the usual good or bad thing, would you rather listen people whining or shoot them in the face ect.
Combat is like Gears of Wars mixed with KOTOR, you take cover and shoot the enemy, you also have 2 other guys with you and the ai controls them. Guns don't have ammo but they overheat, you can do magic like attacks, you can pause the combat and have this tactical view in where you can give orders/use special abilities ect. It's a nice change from the usual watching automated attacks and just giving special ability orders.

Ending is really good and opens new room for a sequel, which comes out in next month. This is a good time to play it.
If you just play the story and ignore the side quests it takes around 12-18 hours to finish.

Once you get past the boring start the game has a lot of depth in it. It just pulls you in its world and the time just flies when you play it. Couple of hours in the game and I found that I can't stop playing it, it really is that good. This is one of those rare games that can do that to you. It's not that hard as Dragon Age is, so this one is a nice relatively easy ride from start to finish.
I dunno man I thought it was riddled with cliches.

I rarely enjoy RPGs though so maybe I'm not the best to judge. I've always found non-RPG games to have the best stories ironically.

Upvote 0