• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Voice acting contest

For this I used a Zoom H2 and then sliced up the audio file with AVS4U Audio Editor.

I thought this would be simplest and quickest way to get a good quality recording. I also have a Boss 1600CD for more complex setups (Better for multiple recordings at once - Full band etc).

I also put the files into the same format as the original TWI recordings, MaleVoiceOne, MaleVoiceTwo. There are a few sound files in the originals which arn't used in the game.

I might compile all the sounds together into a .uax and replace one of the currently used voices with my own just to see what it's like to play.

you sound like ed byrne lol

Upvote 0
You can get time in a recording studio pretty cheap nowadays (As cheap as $15/hour). I have access to one I can use for free, and I know more than a few good people with good voices.

This would probably be significantly easier on TW than the mapping contest; all they'd have to do is have their sound engineer sit on his butt and listen to the submissions.

Part 1 of the contest would be a few test lines - perhaps chat lines from the game, as well as things that aren't chat lines from the game to see if submitters can get the acting part of voice acting down. (For example, have a submitter say "I'm all out of ammo!" as if they were really in that bad of a situation and felt totally screwed, or have them quip "Looks like a back alley goth club in here!" as if they were extremely confident in themselves with a dash of black humor.) Men and women would be accepted.

After a good amount of candidates are chosen (maybe 50-100, 2/3rds men and 1/3rds women, since there's already 14 male characters and no female characters but this would allow for female characters to be created), TW would then present a full script for people to read out (i.e. every line that has to be said).

TW would then (quietly) select the winners and work with them to get the lines just right. Submitters handle the recording, TW handles the sound engineering and act coaching. Once they have these voices, this alone would make a worthy content patch and players would be very appreciative of it.

Simultaneously (and paired with this patch) would (hopefully) be an all-women DLC pack. (I'd pay more than $2.00 for it, tbh.) In relation to this, it would be nice if they modelled and voiced 6 females, put four in the pack and added two to the default roster (for a total of 8). This would stop that annoying thing on the character menu where there's always two blank spots at the end, and it would be fair to the new players who don't yet have the DLC but want to play a female. In the spirit of the original six characters, one of the freebie females should be a police officer and the other should be in the military.

Prizes, well... were there any prizes for the map competition? I don't know. A lot of people would do this just for the glory. I know I would, and I could probably convince at least half a dozen people to do it was well.

P.S. even though the game is British there are indeed people from other countries living in Britain. So not having a British/Irish/Scottish/Welsh accent should not be a *huge* problem (although I'm sure it would slant the odds of you winning in your favor a good deal). For all we know DJ Skully is Chinese. :p

Upvote 0
If I had to judge this contest I would prob punch the speakers after the first entry. Amateurs are amateurs and you're voice sounds different to you than it does to others due to vibrations. That and nothing is worse than fake a British accent. Most people think they are great at impressions because it sounds right to them but if they listen to a recording of themselves they sound nothing like Cartman, Stewie, Fat Bastard from Austin Powers, or whoever else people do impressions of and butcher. If this somehow happens and they add custom voices I want to ask that we have an option to block them. I don't want to have to mute the game completely to remove some hack job voice work.

Worst Idea Ever

Upvote 0
If I had to judge this contest I would prob punch the speakers after the first entry. Amateurs are amateurs and you're voice sounds different to you than it does to others due to vibrations. That and nothing is worse than fake a British accent. Most people think they are great at impressions because it sounds right to them but if they listen to a recording of themselves they sound nothing like Cartman, Stewie, Fat Bastard from Austin Powers, or whoever else people do impressions of and butcher. If this somehow happens and they add custom voices I want to ask that we have an option to block them. I don't want to have to mute the game completely to remove some hack job voice work.

Worst Idea Ever
If you submit your voice without listening to it first, you shouldn't expect to win anyways. Hell look back, you can see I withdraw my own voice from it because I couldn't get it to sound right. Don't lose hope in the community so fast. Sheesh.

Upvote 0