• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

FF on by default & scaled to fit difficulty

Cockney Nutjob

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Has anyone else played on a friendly-fire enabled server and found that everyone plays better and pays more attention to their specific role?

I think it would be good if FF was on by default, but scaled to the difficulty level of the server, ie on an easy server friendly-fire does something like 10-20% of normal damage - not enough to cause major problems but enough to make everyone think a bit more about what they're doing instead of just spamming everywhere, going up to ~40-50% on suicidal.

I'm not sure if the numbers I suggested are ideal, but I do think friendly-fire should be a consideration on all difficulty levels as it promotes a more tactical style of play IMO.

I know some (prob more experienced) people like FF in general, but can anyone think of any reason why this is a bad idea?

This has been discussed many time (using the search function would be ideal as it gives you an idea if you 'new' idea has been discussed before).

The main reason was that the game and balancing was not done with FF in mind. 'Zerkers, firebugs, and demo-men are all highly likely to damage teammates unless they have played FF for awhile, but many would forgo those perks altogether. Playing with FF encourages teamplay but can also foul thing up because of griefing, revenge killing, and solo-ing to gat away for these.

Upvote 0
Playing with FF encourages teamplay but can also foul thing up because of griefing, revenge killing, and solo-ing to gat away for these.

Nicely summed up. If FF was on by default, I would NEVER play on public servers with random ppl. I would just get pissed on getting teamkilled by some idiot demoman all the time, not to mention intentional teamkilling by some little nubbies.

So a big NO from me.

Upvote 0
All that would happen is some guy walks infront of me while I'm shooting killing themselves, they then whine and kick me out.
The fact is, people will die for their own mistakes and then blame the person for killing them. KF is better off without it.
Though its good fun with it on with a good team, managed to survive wave 10 without even setting a teammate on fire.

Upvote 0
@ OP. i would say make it a defualt setting to lower then that: normal would be ~5%. to give you an idea, thats low enough that a pipe going off next to you wont even kill you. Deny it or not a small ammount of FF like this will encourage teamwork, even with high damage perks. There is also vote kick or admins for any asshole players, not that you cant already greif by say standing in a trader door or standing in peoples way.
It should also be possible for a server operator to go set the FF down to 0% again.

The action of making this mode standard will effect the slow change toward more mature game playing, I could almost bet that if this were effected, in a few months people would be calling for the level of FF to be increased.

Reactions: robdude19
Upvote 0
I agree with Colt 45. Set default FF to 0% on easy, 5% on normal, 10% on hard, and 20% on suicidal. This is low enough to make players less spammy, more team-centric and better aimers in general without causing a ton of team killing. Let servers manage FF settings easily, including anyone who doesn't host on a dedicated server.

Upvote 0
Has anyone else played on a friendly-fire enabled server and found that everyone plays better and pays more attention to their specific role?

That's the type of players that are attracted to FF servers, not the servers ;)

Far too many 'CS:people' that think guns should shoot through teammates doing them no harm and then continue on to hit the enemy and damage them as they do in real life :rolleyes:

Edit: The same people that think the source engine is best for FPS games because lazertag is where it's at......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was on a friendly fire server once and didn't know it so when I hit a guy in the head with my katana a couple times and killed him, he was like "that was great....." Whoooooops. I also tried a 100% FF suicidal server the other night, doesn't work. It's just too easy to kill each other. Now if people had to play FF and got used to it, then it might work.

Upvote 0
I agree with Colt 45. Set default FF to 0% on easy, 5% on normal, 10% on hard, and 20% on suicidal. This is low enough to make players less spammy, more team-centric and better aimers in general without causing a ton of team killing. Let servers manage FF settings easily, including anyone who doesn't host on a dedicated server.
Sounds reasonable.

Upvote 0
Now if people had to play FF and got used to it, then it might work.
low enough to make players less spammy, more team-centric and better aimers in general without causing a ton of team killing.
Refer to this:

The main reason was that the game and balancing was not done with FF in mind. 'Zerkers, firebugs, and demo-men are all highly likely to damage teammates unless they have played FF for awhile, but many would forgo those perks altogether.

The game was designed for 0% FF. It nice to play FF sometimes but it should not be required.

Upvote 0
I played on a public FF server with something like 70% FF and this is what happened:

As a berzerker I was attacking a lone Scrake with the sword - obviously I was taking no dammage and the Scrake had no chance.

So what happened?

Some noob got out his handcannon and unloaded each and every shot into me, 1) I didn't need the help which should have been obvious. 2) If your aim is that bad you REALLY shouldn't be playing on FF

Upvote 0
"FF on by default & scaled to fit difficulty" Cockney Nutjob
I don't think so. If your so good to play with friend fire on 24/7 you need to get a life and stop playing so many games for so long to get good enough to play with that on all the time. LOL.
This! I mean yea! If you can aim then you need to get a life! Seriously! Aiming is for people with no life!

-.-;

Upvote 0
Nicely summed up. If FF was on by default, I would NEVER play on public servers with random ppl. I would just get pissed on getting teamkilled by some idiot demoman all the time, not to mention intentional teamkilling by some little nubbies.

So a big NO from me.

Indeed. I don't need to get gibbed by random nadespam, roasted by a fire-crazy pyro, blasted by those ****ing pipebombs demomen spam EVERYWHERE, taken out by an unlucky shotgun pierce, ect. Not to mention intentional killing! Or the rage people get when they do something dumb, like walk in front of you while you're spraying a full-auto burst, and get themselves killed by you when it's out of your hands.

On friendly fire servers where people are AWARE of this, it adds difficulty. On pub servers, it makes it frustrating, anger-inducing, and borderline unplayable.

Upvote 0
If your so good to play with friend fire on 24/7 you need to get a life and stop playing so many games for so long to get good enough to play with that on all the time. LOL.

I guess it's too much of a skill to have reading comprehension and not shoot everything that moves like someone would have given crack to AD\HD person.

As much as I enjoy playing with FF, beter to leave it off as default setting. Unfortunate fact that even with 1% FF as a default setting noticable majority of people still would manage to ignore it or simply proceed hurr durr mode and die all the time and blame others, as it's never their own fault even if they were linedancing in front of the enemies.

Upvote 0
Indeed. I don't need to get gibbed by random nadespam, roasted by a fire-crazy pyro, blasted by those ****ing pipebombs demomen spam EVERYWHERE, taken out by an unlucky shotgun pierce, ect. Not to mention intentional killing! Or the rage people get when they do something dumb, like walk in front of you while you're spraying a full-auto burst, and get themselves killed by you when it's out of your hands.

On friendly fire servers where people are AWARE of this, it adds difficulty. On pub servers, it makes it frustrating, anger-inducing, and borderline unplayable.

Exactly. Theres already loads of idiots who block at shops, weld teammates to their death or do anything else as stupid/annoying, so if FF was on there would be a lot of intentional teamkilling by noobs too.. not to mention revenge kills when you have accidently killed someone. And the way KF is built... long spawntimes, and you spawn with only a fraction of your money left.

But yeah, would bring some challenge to the game. Not only you have to watch out for specimens, you also have to watch out for your teammates -_-. Id rather run away from the team and play solo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0