• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Let's talk Berserker

I am a fellow level 6 berserker, so I know of that which I speak. I always place berserker type characters. These are almost in RPGs, which KF is not.

I have found the problem with the berserker. It is the name. Hear me out. The real berserkers would build themselves up into a mad rage with fornication, drugs, and pain. They would often rip their own clothes off and cut themselves in front of the rigid Roman line to break their morale and route them.

How can we call a character a berserker who can't go berserk? It doesn't make sense. Yet, you can't have a real berserker in this game without invoking too much RPG, which is inappropriate given the superb attention to detail the TWI team spent on other aspects to the game.

There isn't a blind rage function and there shouldn't be. The game has no superheroes and doesn't need any. This is really not practical for the game and isn't in the spirit of what the game has already done with the berserker perk.

I don't care what you call him. As it is, the berserker is more of martial artist that specializes in bladed weapons.

He currently:

can extending zed time by controlling his adrenal dumps
can do so without a loss of situational awareness (tunnel vision).
is no stronger than the other soldiers.
is faster than most, but not all.
is better at using bladed weapons.
has no special hand to hand abilities or skills (which a berserker would).

He really isn't a berserker at all, and that is okay. He just needs a more appropriate name and even better weapon skill (in the form of damage). If the amount of his weapon damage were heightened, he would make more sense as what he really currently is and also have more of an equal role relative to other perks.

Upvote 0
  • Since the "Level Up" content patch, what is the biggest problem you currently have with the Berserker perk?
The chainsaw damage no longer counter its weight and inventory space.

• What do you view as the Berserker's biggest Strength?
The lack of ammo and reload.

• What do you view as the Berserker's biggest Weakness?
Its short range.

• What situations do you find yourself using the following weapons?
    - Knife?
    Only to run faster if I'm using the chainsaw
    - Machete? Never
    - Fire Axe? Never
    - Chainsaw?
    Only on wave 1
    - Katana? Any wave other than 1.
  • What specimens do you find you have the most trouble killing?
Flesh pounds because they do a lot of damage, crawlers because there's so many of them it's hard not to get hit. Sirens an Husks can be dangerous in a crowd, rather easy otherwise.

• What specimens do you find you have the least trouble killing?
Clots, Gorefasts, stalkers and scrakes.

• What would you say the Berserker's role is in the team aspect of the game?
Front line: taking most of the damage and taking care of any specs getting too close.

• If you could change ONE thing about the game to make playing a Berserker more enjoyable, what would it be?
Increase the running speed with chainsaw.

Upvote 0
Beserkers need more melee/physical damage reduction to be effective especially on suicidal with a full party. Since you obviously must be close to do damage, not taking melee/physical damage is impossible. Especially with fleshpounders. As a beserker, you would learn how to block, deflect, and dodge melee attacks therefore reducing the damage you would take from melee attacks.

I propose a 10% melee/physical damage reduction per level gained to make beserker a viable option once again. As it is now, beserker is pretty much useless on suicidal. Especially when the fleshpounders come out to play.

Upvote 0
I think the chainsaw needs to be improved

I think the chainsaw needs to be improved

Other then that your either wasting your time with another weapon (obviously excluding katana), or if your able to use something else and are good with it (assuming its melee other then katana or chainsaw) you've probably been playing to much killing floor or to much fps's in general.

Upvote 0
  • Since the "Level Up" content patch, what is the biggest problem you currently have with the Berserker perk?
The chainsaw damage no longer counter its weight and inventory space.

• What do you view as the Berserker's biggest Strength?
The lack of ammo and reload.

• What do you view as the Berserker's biggest Weakness?
Its short range.

• What situations do you find yourself using the following weapons?
    - Knife?
    Only to run faster if I'm using the chainsaw
    - Machete? Never
    - Fire Axe? Never
    - Chainsaw?
    Only on wave 1
    - Katana? Any wave other than 1.
  • What specimens do you find you have the most trouble killing?
Flesh pounds because they do a lot of damage, crawlers because there's so many of them it's hard not to get hit. Sirens an Husks can be dangerous in a crowd, rather easy otherwise.

• What specimens do you find you have the least trouble killing?
Clots, Gorefasts, stalkers and scrakes.

• What would you say the Berserker's role is in the team aspect of the game?
Front line: taking most of the damage and taking care of any specs getting too close.

• If you could change ONE thing about the game to make playing a Berserker more enjoyable, what would it be?
Increase the running speed with chainsaw.

AGREED. Except that.. the running speed with chainsaw could stay the way it is, but instead either increase damage or decrease its inventory space.

Machete is just USELESS with its current weight.

Upvote 0