• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commando gets shafted

ScarFace

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2009
With the sharpshooter, firebug, support, and demo they all get increases in damage respective to their level....so level 1 you get 10% bonus, level 2 20%...so on and so forth. So at level 6 the above mentioned perks all top out at plus 60% damage with their perk weapons. So my question is why doesn't the same rule apply to the commando? At level 6 he only gets 50% damage with his perk weapons.

I'm assuming all of you are going to say blah blah...balance ...blah blah but if balance was the problem why is the sharpie so overpowered? I'm thinking this was just an oversight on TWI's part.

*To be complete the medic gets no weapon bonus and the zerker gets 100% bonus at lv.6.*

the zerker gets 100% bonus at lv.6.*

Zerker already got 100% bonus at 5. At 6, it's still 100%.

Commando now gets a rifle with the highest non-sustained DPS of all single-hit weapons. I don't think you can really say "Commando didn't get what the other classes did." Some perks didn't even get a new weapon at all.

On top of his damage bonus, Commando also gets 35% faster reload with all weapons, which has a huge effect on sustained DPS.

Example,

Commando 6 SCAR DPS (w/ reload): 491
Commando 6 SCAR DPS (no reload): 1,250

The difference between the two (759) is the potential DPS gained through faster reloading. 35% of that is 266. Compared to 491 base damage, this is an effective DPS increase of 54% on top of his other bonuses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Zerker already got 100% bonus at 5. At 6, it's still 100%.

As far as the Commando "wasn't given what the other classes were," Commando now gets the gun with the highest possible single-target DPS in the game.

On top of his damage bonus, Commando also gets 35% faster reload with all weapons, which has a huge effect on DPS.

Example.

Commando 6 SCAR DPS (w/ reload): 491
Commando 6 SCAR DPS (no reload): 1,250

The difference between the two (759) is the potential DPS gained through faster reloading. 35% of that is 266. Compared to 491 base damage, this is a DPS increase of 54%.
Citation needed.

Upvote 0
Citation needed.

Sure, which part?

I got my info here and here.

Edit: bear in mind this is "single target" and doesn't take into consideration headshots, accuracy, ammo limitation or any other quirks. However, just in terms of "which gun can put out the most damage on a single body in the least amount of time, not factoring in reloads" the SCAR is clearly number 1, as you will see from the list. If you factor in Commando's faster reloading ability, I am certain it will even make number 1 in sustained DPS as well, now that I've seen how much it can improve damage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used to play support only and I mostly got the most kills, and now I play only commando and I still get the most kills, mostly more than a 100 kills more than the second one. Commando is fine the way it is, when slo mo happens I can headshot around 6 specimen because I can get 4 more slo mo extensions.

Upvote 0
With the sharpshooter, firebug, support, and demo they all get increases in damage respective to their level....so level 1 you get 10% bonus, level 2 20%...so on and so forth. So at level 6 the above mentioned perks all top out at plus 60% damage with their perk weapons. So my question is why doesn't the same rule apply to the commando? At level 6 he only gets 50% damage with his perk weapons.

I'm assuming all of you are going to say blah blah...balance ...blah blah but if balance was the problem why is the sharpie so overpowered? I'm thinking this was just an oversight on TWI's part.

*To be complete the medic gets no weapon bonus and the zerker gets 100% bonus at lv.6.*

He gets the highest DPS weapon in the game at more than a 60% discount. PLUS higher reload. PLUS less recoil. That more than makes up for the lack of a 10% bonus... Commando is one of the best perks out there right now!

However, the Zerker getting no bonus damage makes no sense. His damage is already far outclassed...

Upvote 0
I've got a level 6 commando and its my new favorite class (followed closely by the old number one, which was support). The DPS, although I don't pay attention to exact figures, is absolutely insane for level 6. On suicidal, with a couple other teammates, i can burst fire into an FP's chest and take down half its health almost instantly.

Thing is, the commando isn't about extremely heavy damage. The idea is to find all the smaller specs and aim for the head. Thats why you get the 3 zed time extensions instead. Sure, when I'm a demo, I can take out an FP with my aa12 all by myself. But when I'm a commando, and i get zed time, I easily get 8 or 9 headshots before the extensions finally wear off.

Also, the blanket reload bonus actually makes some other weapons very useful, such as the GL's.

Upvote 0
At lvl 6, I mainly just focus on dropping crawlers and stalkers that get around my team. When I do get cornered and have to take out the heavy stuff, I have found that on hard mode, it takes 1 full clip from the SCAR to take out a scrake (assuming you go for the head), and 2 full clips to take out a fleshpounder (also assuming you go for the head)

Upvote 0
At lvl 6, I mainly just focus on dropping crawlers and stalkers that get around my team. When I do get cornered and have to take out the heavy stuff, I have found that on hard mode, it takes 1 full clip from the SCAR to take out a scrake (assuming you go for the head), and 2 full clips to take out a fleshpounder (also assuming you go for the head)

It's a bit more than that to take out Scrakes and FPs, but the point stands that, when push comes to shove, you actually CAN take 'em out on your own, albeit at a high cost in ammo.

Commando is an awesome class and, bar none, the fastest leveling I've ever had, even with the Stalkers. I did the 2-million or so damage from 5 to 6 in one afternoon with those beasts known as the SCAR and AK-47...

Upvote 0
Support's AA12 is seriously lacking compared to other classes' ability to wreck single targets.

I don't complain about it though, I can make up for it by clearing a room with 1-2 shots.

Not to mention that the AA-12 basically decimates not only what you're hitting, but everything behind it and a bit to the sides! However, it usually takes it's full clip to do much, and you only have 4 clips...your ammo is ridiculously small by comparison...

Upvote 0