• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Combat engineers/NCO class abolities

Kaminski

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
How about extending the abilities of the combat engineers and Nco classes, for example combat engineers should have the ability to not only set satchel chages, as they currently do, but also set booby traped grenade bundles and flares on a trip wire. Especially, in defensive positions or if night-time missions/maps are going to be used.

Also, the NCO class should carry flares for the same reason, I don't know if you're considering a sewer level mission/map, they were used extensively by both sides at Stalingrad, if so flashlights might be another idea. Of course we can all live without these, they're just icing on the cake, but worth considering.

Last edited:
I don't think trip-wired mines and booby traps would be a bad thing it would stop a few Rambo kids and headless chickens running around the place

not only would it destroy clanplay, but even public play would get killed. gameplay wise, imagine an engineer setting a mine, then respawning setting another mine, then again, and again and again. i can already see the mine spam :eek:

were they used in reality? sure, but again, not that people are just being jerks, but most everyone that've played RO will tell you that it is not a good idea.

i think engineers work well in their current state. their purposes in the game is to destroy walls, guns, doors, vehicles, barriers etc.....

Upvote 0
I totally agree that booby-traps and mines would be overused. But maybe, if and when the engineer dies after placing a mine or what not, the ordinate disappears. Meaning that the ordinance can discharge only if he is alive in that respawn he laid that mine/booby trap.

Maybe, which I think is a really cool idea :), you can booby trap dead bodies, so when some dude goes to take ammo or a gun from your fallen comrade, a grenade detonates, or something to that effect. When the body disappears so does the trap.

I'll just wait for some mod for this :). RO developers got a lot on their plate I imagine. :p

Upvote 0
How about extending the abilities of the combat engineers and Nco classes, for example combat engineers should have the ability to not only set satchel chages, as they currently do, but also set booby traped grenade bundles and flares on a trip wire. Especially, in defensive positions or if night-time missions/maps are going to be used.

Come on. That was not done in the middle of the battle. So it would not be realistic at all. On the contrary, it would be very unrealistic.

Laying mines, booby trapping etc. is done before the actual battle as preparation to the battle. That

Upvote 0
booby traps would be ok, but not if you can drop them in 1 second (ala battlefield2).

First you have to fix the nade to an obstacle, then you have to fix the wire on another obstacle.
That would take at least 15 seconds!
A long time you are completly unprotected, so you can not run around dropping booby traps just for fun.

Also one mine per engineer and life. that way it would be a realistic approach and prevent a "mine spam".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
booby traps would be ok, but not if you can drop them in 1 second (ala battlefield2).

First you have to fix the nade to an obstacle, then you have to fix the wire on another obstacle.
A long time you are completly unprotected, so you can not run around dropping booby traps just for fun.

Also one mine per engineer and life. that way it would be a realistic approach and prevent a "mine spam".

I think this is not a good idea. Because game should not encourage to unrealistic behavior. And laying mines and booby traps in the middle of the battle would be that.

And I

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by COOL SHADOW

Personally, I think they should be included, like I said in the original post, for defensive positions or night time operations, ie flares on a trip wire. Cool Shadow has the balence right, one trip wire per engineer life and time spent laying the trip wire as well, to prevent total spamming spoiling the gameplay. As far as I'm concerned it would just add another interesting diamention, and if you're clever enough and can spot the trip, you should be able to replace the pin and diffuse the trip with your own engineers or infantry, as all infantry soldiers are trained how to set these things and replace the pins anyway, at least in the British army.

Upvote 0
You are always against all the fun ...

He is usually quote right imo.

These gimmiks would simply cause some very silly gameplay. Again, are you with realism or not?? Make your mind up. :rolleyes:

I just wonder whether or not its worth posting suggestions around here anymore,

There have been many good suggestions, and others which sparked debate. I changed my opinin more than once now due to the suggestion makers arguments with some comments. Very good I think and I hope it keeps up.

Not every one is right and most suggestions are very subjective. Hopefully people appreciate this. Also, RO debates keep me entertained at work :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some people just make me laugh, I just wonder whether or not its worth posting suggestions around here anymore, probably not. The game will change and move forward whether some people like it or not.

well to alot of us that have played the game for years now, when we see people making some pretty absurd suggestions, we laugh too....at first that is but after the amount of poor suggestions that have been made, particulary from one poster (not you kaminski), some of us get agitated. please understand, we aren't trying to be mean, but some suggestions may just be quite, well, bad and you're going to catch flak from people if you're the poster of the bad idea. don't feel bad about posting a bad idea....we all do from time to time. just be prepared that you might not always get the feedback you were expecting.

yes the game will change slighlty, but it will never go to some of the extremes that alot of suggestions have been going, and some people will have to accept that as well ;) the roots of the game will be preserved no matter how many sequels or expansions come in the future.

again, if you've not played the game yet, the best thing anyone could do is PLAY it first, evaluate the positives and negatives, and THEN develop ideas to improve the flaws in the game, not just make random suggestions to add things that would be "cool" or that have been used in other games. fact of the matter is, some things will just never fit in RO.

Upvote 0