• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another specimen Idea: The Hydra

Great idea.

do_want.jpg

Upvote 0
about the size... it should be something big, but we still want it to fit in every corridor so it can't be too massive... something about the size of the patriarch and thick as the bloat.

depending on how dangerous it actually is, its spawn rate should be something from 3 to 1 in every game or something like that... could be seen as a mid-wave mini-boss and give high level fancy-weapon parties the same trouble that a Fleshpound did to newbie parties when the game was released =)

Upvote 0
Long post ahead, turn away those who don't like reading

@ Zerethon: Here you're basically talking about a mini-boss, or new boss altogether. Whether this is done as a top-tier specimen or new boss I don't care, I just want it :D

Thats the idea, a wave 8-10 (or 4/6-7) specimen that requires teamwork to bring down (because it only spawns 1 at a time against teams of 2-3 and up to 2 at a time against teams of 4-6 similar to husks)

It cant be killed by taking the heads off - they are armored and they regenerate, taking a head off locks it's chaingun fire on you killing you in short order, you have to kill the healing tank on the back of it (which is like a fleshpound, Nearly impervious to small arms) if you want to kill it, and even then it takes an abnormal long time to bleed to death because the tank has to drain AND it has to bleed to death for it to "die"

Power wise, it would be Above a fleshpound in survival by a longshot without hitting the tank, but about half as damaging (1dmg per bullet or so, fairly fast and accurate RoF with a long cooldown forcing it to move) and for a melee, it tries to backhand with the minigun (Stopping it from using it)

Speed wise, about as fast as a husk is perfect

I hate to be a negative Nancy, because it's a very fertile concept to run with, but a "multiple head + boatload of hitpoints" design might take the game in the wrong direction, at least as far as people who don't like 5 SS + 1 XX squads go. On a personal level, I love it, but careful thought should go into the design before we end up with a specimen whose Latin name means, "One more reason to play sharpshooter." Not that I think Twi is going to rip the idea from thread to code, I'm just saying we can't have our cake and eat it too.

thats the thing - It's nearly immune to sharps, it focus-fires them when they take a head off, it breaks ironsights, and the only way to kill it is heavy weaponry to the back timed with taking a head off, it'll rage like an FP but bleed to death since it cant regen, albeit slowly

see below

Hmm, good point. It shouldn't be so tough that you need to shoot the heads to kill the zed, since that would encourage the use of even more M14's, when the original purpose of multiple heads is to prevent one-shotting, thus giving the SS a disadvantage. The zed should rather be EASIER to kill with body shots than shooting all the heads off, which would encourage non-SS weapons. The body toughness should still be enough to make it difficult to kill with M14 body shots from mid-range, probably between the toughness of a husk and scrake.

for my idea, it's only easily killable with heavy weapons (Point-blank AA12 or Hunting shotty or melee) to the back of it while it's focused on someone and cant shoot you/hit you to break the healing tank, this encourages the 1-2 sharps and some heavy close weapons people because the tank is designed and coded to be weak to close weapons (Especially fire and melee) while all but impervious (Like the armored heads) to "sharpshooter" tagged weapons (Xbow, M14, Etc.)

This is single-handedly the best specimen idea I've seen since (not to be self-promoting or anything) my 'Digger' idea which has a specimen that moves underground and grabs your feet, holding you in place (requiring a berserker or melee weapon to kill by arms) or something to that extent. I don't really remember.

Either way, this is PERFECT for the continuation of the story! I mean, the specimen should just start getting odder and more challenging, look at the husk! It's not the hardes thing in the world to kill, but it DOES have a high kill priority and it's pretty painful when they hit you dead on. This thing would just be a beast that could kind of loom over the specimen screaming and shooting bile and **** everywhere. I'd be like "ZOMGLOOKOUT!" and start running at it with my chainsaw.

Really, I love you man.

Glad to hear it, and that was my idea, when i picture it, i picture something like a slightly taller fleshpound with 2 twisted heads with husk-like mouthpieces on the helmets, covered in mis-matched metal plates with spikes and metal hoses everywhere, with almost Medieval helmets on and a Big nasty minigun (Like the patriarchs but less square) with a "Sight" on it like the M14's (so it can mark people) with a pair of Long rounded somewhat see-through tanks on it's back filled with a red, glowing substance (think like a giant version of the little tanks on the healing syringe)

*takes a breath*

Yeah, big, hulking, armored monster that looks like something out of a nightmare, walking with a gait styled like the patriarchs, so it LOOKS imposing as all hell, and can back it up with a day-ruining spray of hot lead

about the size... it should be something big, but we still want it to fit in every corridor so it can't be too massive... something about the size of the patriarch and thick as the bloat.

depending on how dangerous it actually is, its spawn rate should be something from 3 to 1 in every game or something like that... could be seen as a mid-wave mini-boss and give high level fancy-weapon parties the same trouble that a Fleshpound did to newbie parties when the game was released =)

See above for both, it's basically like a Much, Much, more twisted and evil idea of the FP Chaingunner designed to be able to take the withering fire of a high-wave team and deal it right back, while taking good teamwork to kill

Along the same lines, it's voice cues could be it's heads "Arguing" in 2 distinct new voices with a similar, if less severe, version of the husks distortion

-Z

Upvote 0
I think that giving it a chaingun will be just too much, remember that its not gonna be alone, there is a whole lot of specimens around and some of them could be fleshpounds or scrakes...

the idea is to make it more powerful that a Fleshpound overall, and something that requires teamwork to kill, we all agree there.

I think it should be by far the most dangerous enemy to date, but must be careful not to make it unbeatable or hard enough to guarantee a wipe by the rest of the wave.

And I still support that it must be weak against fire, those firebugs need a job that nobody else can do

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that giving it a chaingun will be just too much, remember that its not gonna be alone, there is a whole lot of specimens around and some of them could be fleshpounds or scrakes...

the idea is to make it more powerful that a Fleshpound overall, and something that requires teamwork to kill, we all agree there.

I think it should be by far the most dangerous enemy to date, but must be careful not to make it unbeatable or hard enough to guarantee a wipe by the rest of the wave.

And I still support that it must be weak against fire, those firebugs need a job that nobody else can do

1. it has a chaingun with a "weak" enrage to make it hard to snipe to death by raging it and exposing it's back, if it was melee, and it had to run to the sharps, it would be much harder to disable by killing the back tank because it would be outrunning people, the idea is that someone ticks it off and gets it to unload on them (Locking it in place) while they hide behind cover so someone can disable the healing and make it killabal (Firebug, Support)

2. Yes, it's a bigger, Nastier, somewhat more dangerous damage-wise fleshpound, and with my Healing/Regen/Armor system in-place, it DEFINITELY takes coordination to kill (especially if say...the armor makes it nearly impervious to pipes and thrown grenades like the husk is to fire)

3. It wont guarantee a wipe unless the team is bad and elects to try and decap it to death which just doesnt work, a sharp could snipe it's face with a couple of M14 rounds to piss it off, a zerker could then Madrush it and chainsaw the bejesus out of the Serum tanks and break them off (starting it bleeding to death as though it was decapped, without disabling it's chaingun) and making it move slightly faster (Think raged gorefast) and then everyone coordinates to land a few shells into it (and ignite it, the serum could be "flammable" so that the tanks and tank-less body are vulnerable to flames by +100% or something) and kill it or ensure it bleeds to death while it fires next

4. See 3, it's weak to fire because the serum has a low flash-point, and without a constant supply of it, it's extremely sensitive to damage, especially fire and melee, making it the big nasty spec for firebugs and zerkers - they'd hit it the hardest compared to bullets, as they can do the most damage to it through it's heavily armored frame

Upvote 0
I like most of the versions proposed here, but I won't expect from tripwire more than the basic concept (big, multi-headed, strongest enemy) ...and that, only if it gets enough community support.

then they would probably work on the idea and add the details themselves... about the details, we are pretty much brainstorming to give some ideas of how we want the game to be, but in the end I seriously doubt that we'll get to see any of the versions exactly as anyone want (if we get to see any)

but anyway... if you like the idea, keep posting with your versions/ideas. The community response is looking great, and much better than I expected so far, and I would be happy if TWI would at least consider the concept.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like most of the versions proposed here, but I won't expect from tripwire more than the basic concept (big, multi-headed, strongest enemy) ...and that, only if it gets enough community support.

then they would probably work on the idea and add the details themselves... about the details, we are pretty much brainstorming to give some ideas of how we want the game to be, but in the end I seriously doubt that we'll get to see any of the versions exactly as anyone want (if we get to see any)

but anyway... if you like the idea, keep posting with your versions/ideas. The community response is looking great, and much better than I expected so far, and I would be happy if TWI would at least consider the concept.

I will seriously hack the controller and code together for this if someone can get either some good concept art or even a 3d-model for my version or something

it's a lot harder of an idea to pass over if there is a physical mod for it

Upvote 0
I love the core concept, but in a different direction - a Zed that breaks down into smaller Zeds as you kill it.

Uhm no, I think thats a great idea for another zed, but not this one. In fact, I was planning to open a topic about a new speciment which, when shot/killed, releases a pack of very small specimens. If anyone of you have played Dead Space, remember the fat guy with these little critters inside its stomach? That sort.

But anyway, I really hope TWI is going to get some inspiration from this idea. I had this suggestion about a headless specimen but this is pretty much the same thing but better. Definately a challenge for sharpshooters, and challenge is what they need atm.

I think that giving it a chaingun will be just too much

Yeah, I dont want a chaingun for this one. If its a big 3 headed ogre, it should have a club or something to swing around with xD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it has to have a rooting attack of some form, Personally, with as much as everyone DOESNT want a chaingun, convinces me it would be perfect

"It's nearly invincible, cant be killed with headshots, AND it's got a chaingun? FFFFFFFFFF"

The idea is that, like the husk, it can engage at a RANGE, albeit a much shorter range than the husk, and it "Enrages" when shot enough, like a scrake, though not permanent

"Enrage" makes it pick whoever hit it the hardest and rapidly charge to close distance to minimum firing range (~35') and then open fire, while firing, it cant move or change targets, and has to finish off that burst before it can move again, so you could nuke him, wait til he brings his MG up, and then get behind something, and it's a sitting duck for one of his "Weakness" perks to close and teach it a lesson, or just anyone with a big enough gun and some cajones

The idea is that it's absolutely terrifying if your team cant work together, it will seem to be absolutely invincible and unstoppable, but it's about as tough as a fleshpound that cant be headshot to a good solid team

see where i'm going with this? it's a lot easier to make (at least, my version) it work and be killable when it has a short-range attack, we're not talking it can snipe with it's MG here, it's just more than capable of closing to minimum range and unloading a hail of lead at the unlucky fool that annoyed it or any person dumb enough to rage it and be marked and then stand still

same windup as the pattys cooldown, it takes it about 1.3s to bring the gun up and spin up before it starts firing

Upvote 0
I'd rather see a specimen that is less of a mini-boss and more common, like the husk, but poses a serious threat if 2 come at once in later waves (more so than fps since they're harder to kill). They would not have as many hitpoints as the scrake, but since there's 2 or 3 heads, there's no one-shotting them, and absolutely NO auto-stun like the scrake. The head toughness would be similar to the scrake, so a xbow would obviously take a head off but it would take multiple M14 shots to do it. Basically it's a specimen that's best killed with a good old-fashioned hail of gunfire (or to make zerk more useful, enable auto-stun for zerks only).

The concept of regenerating heads is interesting but it's hard to say whether it would encourage more SS's or less. If 2 or 3 xbows are required to remove all heads before any regenerate, then you might see more SS's playing in order to do this (would be good teamwork). If, however, a single SS can kill the zed from long range, it wouldn't encourage entire teams to play SS, since only 1 or 2 would be needed to handle the big threats as usual. On the other hand, regenerating heads would discourage solo-minded players from using SS, who would have an easier time killing them with commando/demo/support. You might see more SS team stacking if they all know they can handle everything (like now), whereas regen heads would let them know that they can't, at least by themselves. For now I'd rather have the regen heads since I think most players are more solo-minded and play SS because of its lack of weaknesses. Hopefully a balance can be found that encourages a good variety of perks.

In terms of the zed's attack, no chain gun (patty owns it). Rather, a separate ranged attack for each head would be more interesting than a single ranged weapon or melee, but this would encourage SS headshots in order to reduce the zed's damage capability. In this case regen heads would make the zed much more deadly since its combat effectiveness would typically remain high, unless going against a full team of SS's. Either way there should be a mid-range attack for each head, perhaps even able to target different players, although the current code seems to favor single targets (to simulate multi-targeting, you could have the middle head aim directly for the zed's target, with the other heads shooting to either side like husks, likely hitting other players). The ranged attack should have a slight area of effect like the husk attack, with longer range than sirens. Spitting gobs of bile would be a logical embodiment.
---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This idea just might break the KF community from spamming SS and M14's. I like it.
This coming from a SS that uses crossbows and Handcannons, i see way too much use of the M14, With something like this, however, The M14 users might wise up and switch to commando of something similar. Teamwork is something i see very little of nowadays. This just may bring teamwork back.

Upvote 0
since the idea has been named hydra let's expand more on the mythical creature.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra"][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra"][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra"][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra"][url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaean_Hydra[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

the hydra had three heads, two of which could grow back even if cut off and 1 that was mortal and once decapped could not grow back.

HOWEVER, according to the myth, Hercules defeated Hydra by
using a burning firebrand to scorch the neck stumps after each decapitation. Hercules cut off each head and Iolaus cauterized the open stumps.
So, your SS are Hercules to "cut off" the heads, and your firebug uses his flamethrower to cauterize the heads so they cannot grow back. if the firebug does not burn the heads while cut off, it does no damage and the SS have to decap again. the rest of the damage the body could take would depend on how many heads are still "alive" so in order for commandos/support/zerkers etc.... to do enough damage to finish off the hydra, the two "immortal/regenerating" heads must be removed and cauterized. with each head the hydra has still connected, the more damage the body can take.

now, the hydra needs a "weapon". according to the myth, it's poisonous blood was the weapon, but because we already have the bloat vomit, i don't thing this should be repeated. so how bout this.....the hydra lived in a swamp in water aboundant areas. so what about making it a ranged specimen and give it a high pressure water cannon to push the humans back?? of course, it would do very minimal damage, if any at all, but it would create caios as players would be distracted/unable to kill the other stuff.

could give the back story that it was an experimental design for a police/military riot control "machine/weapon" but the mutation lead to the regenerating multiple heads etc....

even better, the water from the cannon could be used to extinguish the flames from the firebug thereby making it a challenge for the firebug to cauterize the decapped heads. perhaps, the water cannon could be shot off or cut off to render the hyra ineffective from long range. should the hydra get close enough to the humans, then maybe do allow for it to spit poisonous blood like a bloat does when it vomits.

so continuing in this direction, the specimen would have to be about as slow moving as say a husk, yet about equal in damage to a fleshpound so i don't think it should be a "boss" like the patty. however because of the complex nature of defeating the specimen, it should only have a limited appearance so perhaps they will start spawning in the 8th wave with one, 9th with 2 and 10th wave with maybe 3.

let me know what you think

Upvote 0
the problem is that your idea is entirely too focused around having a specific class

Yeah, my idea is weak to fire, but you can kill it with a bit of effort with any class and group that knows how it works

see the problem? mine forces teamwork and flanking, etc. while doing decent ranged damage once engaged, but can still be taken down by any group of players

yours is basically a completely invincible-to-anything but extreme overkill spec capable of cornering a team indefinitely

Good idea and gives me ideas, but it wouldnt work in that form

Upvote 0
@ SIN, could be interesting to give the zed a weakness to firebugs similar to what you and another poster suggested, but aside from mythology this would seem pretty arbitrary. I think the main point of this zed is it basically doesn't have a weakness, aside from its lack of long-range attack, since it's tough and you can't one-shot it like scrakes and fps. I don't think any certain perk should have an easier time dealing with it, but rather it would be more FP-like, requiring multiple players to kill it effectively.

Upvote 0
@ SIN, could be interesting to give the zed a weakness to firebugs similar to what you and another poster suggested, but aside from mythology this would seem pretty arbitrary. I think the main point of this zed is it basically doesn't have a weakness, aside from its lack of long-range attack, since it's tough and you can't one-shot it like scrakes and fps. I don't think any certain perk should have an easier time dealing with it, but rather it would be more FP-like, requiring multiple players to kill it effectively.

Actually, thats the thing, mine has a range attack but only a weak melee attack up close

The idea is that this Zed CANNOT be sharpshot with ease from a distance - it's weakest to short-range attacks to a non-normal location on the body (you decap it by blowing it's serum backpack apart causing it's life support to fail and it to die over time)

This gives firebugs and zerkers that niche they are sorely missing right now, while not making any class useless to it, it's the "husk" of sharpshooters, they are weak to it, it's almost immune to them, and they need to rely on teammates and teamwork to bring this sucker down - not a couple well-placed crossbow bolts

Upvote 0
the point is not making it immune to sharpshooters, but very hard, 3 well placed xbow shots without missing is quite hard to get and it will take a lot of time at the very least, now, Imagine this in a map like offices... the SS is better off shooting at the fleshpound that is coming the other way... so I think 3 heads that can regrow are quite hard already and probably not worth the effort

while Bswearer's concept about regeneration could be very complex for a game like killing floor, I think he is on the right direction, for example, it could be simplified this way: she regenerates and heads re-grow if the hydra is not on fire, but it still can die from normal damage if there is enough of it...

now, the discussion about the attacks... In my mind I had that it would have a different attack for each head being at least 2 of them, already existing attacks... one being a siren head, a bloat head and maybe a main head that just insults you (lol, not really, I just can't think of a realistic or not overly powerful feature like enrage) she could also be invisible, with the main head, making commandos really needed, because lets face it... stalkers are not a threat

It could have a Katana or Axe for close combat weapon

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the point is not making it immune to sharpshooters, but very hard, 3 well placed xbow shots without missing is quite hard to get and it will take a lot of time at the very least, now, Imagine this in a map like offices... the SS is better off shooting at the fleshpound that is coming the other way... so I think 3 heads that can regrow are quite hard already and probably not worth the effort

while Bswearer's concept about regeneration could be very complex for a game like killing floor, I think he is on the right direction, for example, it could be simplified this way: she regenerates and heads re-grow if the hydra is not on fire, but it still can die from normal damage if there is enough of it...

now, the discussion about the attacks... In my mind I had that it would have a different attack for each head being at least 2 of them, already existing attacks... one being a siren head, a bloat head and maybe a main head that just insults you (lol, not really, I just can't think of a realistic or not overly powerful feature like enrage) she could also be invisible, with the main head, making commandos really needed, because lets face it... stalkers are not a threat

It could have a Katana or Axe for close combat weapon

i'm thinking more like this, it has a minigun on the right arm (Patty style) and a big hulking mace-like arm for the left to "balance" itself

Upon firing, it turns perfectly sideways to balance itself with that weighted arm and expose the tanks very openly, since it only fires when attacked heavily (Like a scrake)

the idea is not to make sharps useless, but to make it a lot less mindless, you have to rage it from a distance with cover to get it to stand still so you can land withering fire into the tanks to start it bleeding to death, instead of the "spam the head and pray" tactic

after firing, theres a long period of time (say, 20+ seconds) before it can fire again and can only defend with it's "mace" arm that doesnt hit very hard, just knocks back

it's like a bottle rocket that can kill you, light the fuse, get behind cover and let other people deal with the mess

Upvote 0
yeah my idea was just based off the myth itself so it may be a little too complex for gameplay. but i like the idea of incorparating the basic ways that the myth called for being 3 heads, 2 of which gane regenerate, decapitation and the use of fire to destroy. simplifying the heads being unable to regenerate if the specimen is on fire would work just fine, and maybe the fact that the hydra was without heads would decrease it's ability to take damage would remain. almost like, it has a health bar that you have to drop to 0 to kill it. if you fail to decap and burn off all the heads etc... then all the time that the heads remain intact, it can keep/regain strength and resistance to damage.

as for the weapon, i think it should be ranged to some extent instead of a melee. the one thing i have enjoyed about the husk is that if your SS aren't paying attention, those things can be a real pain in the *** from long range. that's something i think the game still really needs

Upvote 0
Heads restore body health

Heads restore body health

@ SIN: interesting thought, restoring the zed's actual health while heads remain, in addition to the regen heads. Decaping all 3 heads (although difficult) would cause the zed to bleed out slowly like FP's before the update.

Each head grants the specimen increased body healing rejuvination, so a quick heavy burst of damage (SCARs, AA12s, M32s, etc.) would be needed to bring it down without killing any heads. This would still be easier than trying to take out 3 heads before any regenerate.

If each head heals 30 body pts/ sec then 3 heads would provide 90 pts/sec healing, thus forcing players to use high-power weapons and teamwork to bring it down. For instance, you could not solo it with a pistol ever, and long cool-down weapons like the M79 and LAW would be ineffective if used alone.

Requiring fast damage output to kill it is good since the specimen would have no rage ability to encourage this behavior. Because of the difficulty in killing it and its trio of ranged attacks, the zed would pose a similar threat level to the FP, while being harder to kill with headshots.

It would be particularly efficient for the zerk to take them down, since the katana and chainsaw provide high sustained damage without reloads. The zed should have a moderate melee attack to defend itself, with a slow cool-down time so the zerk can swing away while occasionally dodging the attack.

The head healths should not heal, but regenerate if decapped after 8 seconds or so.
---

Last edited:
Upvote 0