• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New GFX-card for X-Mas

The GameStar recommends: XFX Radeon HD 5770 for 150€ or the Asus EAH 5770 (same price)

Zotac Geforce 275 (1,8gb) for 230€ or the Zotac Geforce AMP
Well I generally prefer ATI cards(dont ask me why), with this HD 5770 can I play any modern game(lets say MW2, Red Faction Guerilla, Borderlands, etc.) with good performance @high settings? And how does the card perform on games like Crysis or ArmA2? Also would there be no problems with my other configuration?(like the cpu being too old and it slowing the gpu down or something)

Upvote 0
(not a recommendation for the store...it was just a quick UK based link)

They're a pretty good store, where I got my last computer and a few other components from.

They do a pretty decent EU delivery as far as I'm aware and have all/most ranges of cards your interested in, though I don't know how they would stack up to more local shops, both in cost and delivery times.

EDIT: Well they dont have the 58XXs instock anyway and seem to be have a fairly big pre order queue and no idea if theyll get them in time for xmas...

They do have the 5770s in though which are about 134euros almost half the price of 5800's though obviously not as powerful but they are about the same performance (and a bit cheaper) than 4870 or Nvidia 260s. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/30.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm 5850 looks nice and good for the future as well. Does it matter whether it's sapphire, xfx, or msi etc.? And anyone know where I can get it from? oh and btw im playing on 1280x1024

Brands generally don't matter, asus and msi come by default with a bios you can easily overclock the others if interested in overclocking you need to put an msi or asus bios on (all cards as far as now are physically identical).

You could either go with the cheapest, one with an unlocked bios or one with the longest warranty. Primarily at this time i would look for a shop that actually got one in stock for an affordable price without super price gauging.

Upvote 0
forget about nvidia right now, supply for those is getting worse all the time because nvidia stopped makign them plus they are out of date.

Get a hd5xxx series card. A hd5850 is awesome but might be hard to get in time if you go for a cheap shop but it is faster than a gtx285 and cheaper than one too boot.

Also dx11 for all hd5xxx cards.

A hd5770 is about as fast/slightly slower than a hd4870-90 and will most likely be faster in the future with driver updates and more modern engines.

Upvote 0
I agree with what most here are saying. I would stretch for the 5850 as it will last you ages.

You are gaming at 1280x1024, a resolution that wont phase anything but the cheapest of budget cards.

If you want the 5850 then jump on one as quick as you can, don't wait out as the availability for the 58xx series is poor. Christmas time will see a higher demand.

Failing that the 5770 would be a second choice. It should give 1.5x the performance of your HD2900 and use less juice in the process.

Have a good look around for a cheap 4890 or GTX 275, if you can get one for the same price as the 5770 then don't rule one out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well can I play any modern game on high settings with the HD5770? I've read of people who said it's a mid-end thing and that kinda sounds like it would only be ~. But then again those people all play on resolutions like 19##x###+, I play in 1280x1024 so I guess that's a big difference?

Im playing everything at 1680x1050 witha 9800GTX+ which i think is older than that, and I always go maximum settings with the exception of the AA and maybe something else.

I don't feel like upgrading it in at least 2 years and I think it could last more, as it seems that the games are not pushing hardware as much as they did a few years ago (and thats why card manufacturers are making things like 3D and multi monitor gaming, just to justify buying a new one)

You know, one benefit of the console market is that they try to make games that run in an xbox, and while they look better in PC, they are not so "much" better to justify a beast of a card

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm currently using two EAH 4870's 1GB cards and after looking at the benchmarking of those 5000 series cards, I'd have to say you're gonna be smoking. I play everything on 1920 x 1080 or as close to as possible, and I'm chewing games up and spitting them out. Any given 5000 series card should certainly reach your needs. As far as the companies though, I do think Powercolor may still be doing their lifetime warranty.

Upvote 0