• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

help please, im freezing!!

OFBulletMagnet

Aug 14, 2009
hi guys,

since the update i've been getting random freezing in-game..its as if my entire PC locks up for anything between 5 and 20 seconds.

this only happens when i play killing floor too...i've tested loads of other games to make sure.. (QW, Wolfenstein, etc)

heres a video to show what happens (excuse the poor quality).
YouTube - Random freeze in killing floor

my system specs are:

AMD 6000+ X2
2 Gig Ram
512Mb 8800GTS (driver 191.07 released 5th october 09)
windows XP SP2

I've also deleted the killing floor.ini file and the client.blob file, verified the cache, change cachemeg to 256, uninstalled and re-installed, but i'm still getting this problem...

precache is still enabled btw, should i turn that off?

cheers for any help :)

Changing the CacheSize to 256 helps a lot, if you have enough RAM for this value.

And i had the exactly same problem and it was easily solved. The problem was the antivirus application. I added the whole KillingFloor folder to the "do not scan ever" list and KF ran like a charm since then.

edit:
Every antivirus worth it's salt has an exception list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you try running some monitoring software of processor and videocard heat usage.
those 191 series nvidia drivers on general hardware related forums seem to spike more in heat usage and that could possibly have something to do with it. Worth a check at least.

Killingfloor unlike most other games seems to use the harddisc quite heavily as well, so try to make sure that your pagefile is properly defragmented, and that your killingfloor folder is properly defragmented.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you try running some monitoring software of processor and videocard heat usage.
those 191 series nvidia drivers on general hardware related forums seem to spike more in heat usage and that could possibly have something to do with it. Worth a check at least.

Killingfloor unlike most other games seems to use the harddisc quite heavily as well, so try to make sure that your pagefile is properly defragmented, and that your killingfloor folder is properly defragmented.

zet, what would be a good monitoring program please?

i can take screens of cpu temps etc, but i dont know what would be good data for you.

cheers :)

Upvote 0
i have some more information now.

i did a complete defrag of my D drive (steam and all apps on this one)

after an hours (maybe more) defrag this is what it looks like:
Ddefrag.jpg

after that, i tried playing KF again, i got a lock up on the server menu screen.

freeze2.jpg

(i can provide video if it helps)

thanks again for any help :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0