• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Matriarch and plasma thrower

Krieg Jaeger

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2009
As a disclaimer, the current pat is fine, save for the pipebomb abuse. Which needs to be addressed. The only real problem is the obvious lack of variety.

You kill the same damn boss a few hundred times and it gets a little old. So, my suggestion for a new boss would be something to the opposite of the patty. While the patriarch is large and lumbering (at times anywhoo) the matriarch is small (size of an average woman, perhaps modified model of a stalker) and agile.

The matriarch
moves at a constant sprint while on the ground. However, she has the ability to climb surfaces and move silently (though slower) in doing so. She also has the ability to leap off said surfaces to attack, to leap from surface to surface (Within some reason) to move quickly, perhaps 3 leaps at a time.

Her attacks emphasize her nature. She will slash, and dodge, or perform a flying kick through the air to rip someone open with her talons, and then perform a graceful flip backwards out of range. The matriarch will be something of a guerrilla combatant, focusing at taking out one target quickly and efficiently and escaping before reprisal. She can also grab a player and throw them BEHIND HER (often the opposite direction of his follows) in order to separate players further.

When she realizes someone is shooting at her (damage, or simply seeing the players) she will dodge as she moves randomly, being a lot harder to snipe or pin down and will kick grenades that get in front of her while she's moving. With all these abilities however, I think she aught to have less overall HP.

The plasma thrower

Much like the same boss gets old, so does the same weapon, with the same effect, time and time again. So why not spice things up a bit.

First of all, the look needs to be modified a bit. Secondly, make the flames less obtrusive when it comes to player's vison (A darker blue) and give it a secondary fire (by increasing the pressure and closing the nozzle to the smallest setting, the stream becomes extremely powerful and even more dangerous. Like ultra-high pressure water, it has the ability to slice through whatever it comes into contact with, while setting it ablaze as the overpressure forces burning plasma into the wound).

Last edited:
Wall of test is wall. Also putting in two ideas into the same post is usually a poor idea unless they really have to do with each other. But anyway...

she has the ability to climb surfaces
The engine doesn't support this and she would be terrible in farm on an open field.

I assume you are suggesting a new firebug weapon, but plasma? Really? What would the ammo be, energon? Let's give the berserker a light saber in the same update....

Try to keep it a little more realistic, please.

Upvote 0
Wall of text is wall. Also putting in two ideas into the same post is usually a poor idea unless they really have to do with each other. But anyway...

The engine doesn't support this and she would be terrible in farm on an open field.

I assume you are suggesting a new firebug weapon, but plasma? Really? What would the ammo be, energon? Let's give the berserker a light saber in the same update....

Try to keep it a little more realistic, please.

Paragraphs =/= wall of text.

Wall of text would infer that I did not use proper punctuation and paragraph structure. Secondly, the idea of jumping off surfaces would work on trees and other bits on farm. Thirdly...."realistic" in a game filled with killer clone mutants, soliders separating heads from bodies with a combat knife in a single swipe, the current flamethrower, and now a clone that fires a massive flame cannon that is grafted to its arm, does not exist.

Please, never...ever..EVER quote realism in this game. You will only make yourself look like an idiot in doing so.

P.S. I fixed your spelling error. And the current flamethrower is a prototype created by horzine. If they can make genetically enhanced super soliders that launch fireballs from their arm, I don't see why they cant make a flamethrower with something more efficient than napalm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not a wall of text but it's a long read.

Please, never...ever..EVER quote realism in this game. You will only make yourself look like an idiot in doing so.
And asking for a lightsaber wouldn't make you look stupid? The game is quite realistic in the world it is based. Being realistic is not saying the game is based on realism. Anything in the game should not clash with the setting. For example, Tony Hawk had unlockable characters including a Jedi. The game is not realistic (physically) but the characters contrast with the game. A lightsaber would stand out in a fantasy middle-age narritive game.

And the current flamethrower is a prototype created by horzine. If they can make genetically enhanced super soliders that launch fireballs from their arm, I don't see why they cant make a flamethrower with something more efficient than napalm.
So let us add a flak cannon, shock rifle, and redeemer. Why not?

Secondly, the idea of jumping off surfaces would work on trees and other bits on farm.
Not in the middle of an empty field. And UE 2.5 doesn't support climbing surfaces. It could jump on things, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And asking for a lightsaber wouldn't make you look stupid? The game is quite realistic in the world it is based. Being realistic is not saying the game is based on realism. Anything in the game should not clash with the setting. For example, Tony Hawk had unlockable characters including a Jedi. The game is not realistic (physically) but the characters contrast with the game. A lightsaber would stand out in a fantasy middle-age narritive game.

So I guess it's a good thing I'm asking for something feasible then. Considering that water itself can shear through reinforced metal when enough pressure is used, so why not use a carrier that is flammable, and still somewhat viscous for a flamethrower? I don't see why you consider this so "off the wall" when the military is already anti-missile lazers, rail guns, and cold fusion has become a reality (though still innefective).

So let us add a flak cannon, shock rifle, and redeemer. Why not?
Those are just a sci fi twist on existing weapons. If UT had a shotgun, a rifle, and a homing missile, it probably wouldn't be too interesting. Frankly though, the flak cannon is actually more like a lower tech shotgun, the shock rifle is somewhat feasible if we could harness an energy source, and the redeemer (guided missile?) is not that different from a lazer guided missile.

Not in the middle of an empty field. And UE 2.5 doesn't support climbing surfaces. It could jump on things, but that's about it.

If it doesn't support it then nix that part of the idea, but on open fields it can still dodge and leap all about.

Upvote 0

"Realisitic" and "Believable" are two different things.

Whenever anyone suggests a new, real world gun, it's believable. Whenever anyone suggests a freaking laser sword, plasma thrower, fusion grenades, energy rifles, ect, it's no longer believable.

As someone said, everything in the game is a weapon that you COULD have today. The MP-7 Medic Gun and the magical welding/healing are the most outlandish and even they're still pretty grounded in reality. Until I see a plasma thrower or a laser sword on a show like Future Weapons, it's, IMO, not eligable for this game...

For the Firebug...I'd like to see Thermite Bombs. Big flashy boom, but after detonating, they continue to sit there and burn for a good bit of time. Like grenades, specimens would avoid them and thus, it'd be area-denial against specimens...

Upvote 0
So I guess it's a good thing I'm asking for something feasible then. Considering that water itself can shear through reinforced metal when enough pressure is used, so why not use a carrier that is flammable, and still somewhat viscous for a flamethrower? I don't see why you consider this so "off the wall" when the military is already anti-missile lazers, rail guns, and cold fusion has become a reality (though still innefective).
While we can already harness plasma for TVs and rail guns exist (though I have never heard of these lazers and can only assume you are charging it) and are being improved by ridiculous bounds, how do you expect this to work. Oh it can shoot a darker stream of blue-ish fire and cut enemies, sure... but with plasma. Wait, plasma? Plasma's not a liquid. Or a gas You're going to cut enemies with ionized noncombustible high pressure particles? It's not viscous or flammable.

A high pressure acetylene touch would be more what you want. Thermite bombs seem cool too.

Upvote 0
Plasma thrower couldn't work, You could only create a laser with a veeery short distance before it all spreads into the air rapidly to the point it it no longer hazardous. If you need something practical you need to just simply recreate Flamethrower for he (which hasn't been used for a monster yet surprisingly). or unless you want to create a sudden conversion of matter into energy, though it'll only cause an immediate explosion (after an split second implosion).

I find it unreasonable and basically only a beefy version of a flamethrower as far as the term is concerned. not to say it sounds like an idea but not Ideal for Killing Floor.

Might I add this is your stuff so just do what you want, Just my opinion lies in the mechanics of it all. (By the way, Fire is a Plasma, so you can either make a flamethrower (less concentrated) or a blow torch (more concentrated) logically. Unless you want to use fusion which at this time isn't usable or a LAZOR :D! cuz we all love star Wars/Trek using Light as energy.) you could use a Gamma ray weapon, High energy photons :] well as far as Anti-matter annihilation is concerned.

oh sorry for another post, but I'd also like to mention that the weapons we have in Killing Floor pretty much already exists in real life. and aside that the mechanics the weapons use. (Husks do have a launcher pack on them so you can easily make out why they can shoot, infinite ammo is questionable but hey, when it comes to monsters no one really cares about how much ammo they can pack)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
oh sorry for another post, but I'd also like to mention that the weapons we have in Killing Floor pretty much already exists in real life. and aside that the mechanics the weapons use. (Husks do have a launcher pack on them so you can easily make out why they can shoot, infinite ammo is questionable but hey, when it comes to monsters no one really cares about how much ammo they can pack)

You know, you can just edit stuff in, right?

I hope the mods let you off the hook this once, after all, you are just a junior member. But, fior the record, instead of double posting, just edit it in. I remember how long it took me to figure that one out. Hurrah for infractions;)

Also, does it have to be plasma? cant we just call it something else and focus on its role instead of its name. But plasma thrower does sound kinda sci-fi, so I suggest a name change.

Also matriarch=big sister from bioshock. And I would also suggest replacing the whole wall climbing thing; it doesnt matter how cool an idea is if its impossible to implement.

Personally Id love fighting a boss, or even an enemy, which doesnt just run at you through every obvious trap, but is cunning. Like something that could lay mines in particular areas, then lure players onto it. Or something that can teleport behind the players, go invisible, lay mines behind them, and attack. Or something like that, where you are forced to say more than "itll be coming from one of these two doors in a frontal assault, so get ready for just that", ibut instead "what will this thing do next"

It may be impossible to implement that kind of planning AI, but its worth a shot

Upvote 0