• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Perk : the Tech Perk

Outsider

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Well, give it a try :
so, this would be more a technician than a soldier (even a geek ! :D).
Its main weapons would be :
- turrel which would be used at distance thanks to a laptop : when this weapon is chosen, the view turn into the laptop screen which is the view of the turrel and we would aim and fire with it. These turrels would have a pretty bad resistance to attacks but it could be repared with the welder by only the Tech Perk. Munition is obviously limited to a certain amount that may be reload by a Tech. As an alt-fire, we could autodestroy it in an explosion similar to a grenade. This explosion wouldn't be set if it is previously destroyed by ZEDs.
- a P90 for close combat (as an APDW, it is suitable to this kind of perk, just like the medic Field) :

And as an expert in technology, it would have NightVisionGoogle ! :)
But no bonus in strengh, resistance, speed (or maybe a little bonus in speed, just like the Field Medic).
And it would have bonus power and discount on P90 and turrels. And turrels would have more munitions and a little more resistance !

Last edited:
Well, give it a try :
- turrel which would be used at distance thanks to a laptop : when this weapon is chosen, the view turn into the laptop screen which is the view of the turrel and we would aim and fire with it. These turrels would have a pretty bad resistance to attacks but it could be repared with the welder by only the Tech Perk. Munition is obviously limited to a certain amount that may be reload by a Tech. As an alt-fire, we could autodestroy it in an explosion similar to a grenade. This explosion wouldn't be set if it is previously destroyed by ZEDs.
- a P90 for close combat (as an APDW, it is suitable to this kind of perk, just like the medic Field) : power

But no bonus in strengh, resistance, speed (or maybe a little bonus in speed, just like the Field Medic).
And it would have bonus power and discount on P90 and turrels. And turrels would have more munitions and a little more resistance !

Edit : I don't know what is happening to this forum but now, my messages are all mess in their lines and it is VERY ANNONYING !!!!! Now, I have to write something at each end of line that i want.

1 word ENGINEER. anways if this could be balanced and the laptop usage disabled movement then it sounds like an ok idea to me. But TWI has to work on fixes for the level up content patch first.

Upvote 0
1 word ENGINEER. anways if this could be balanced and the laptop usage disabled movement then it sounds like an ok idea to me. But TWI has to work on fixes for the level up content patch first.

Ah, that's right, we would call it Engineer ! :)
And obviously, using the laptop would disabled the movement : how can you move the turrel and walk at the same time ? But if a ZED hits you while you're using it, then, it would automatically shut down.
I also was thinking of some remote controled moving drone but maybe it would be a little too much ?

Upvote 0
I think a turret that could be player-controlled would do better than a Drone, IMO. The turret would be pretty good outside of player-control, consistently hitting the enemies' center-of-mass. But WITH the player shooting it (He would, of course, be immobile, typing on a laptop or something), it dramatically goes up in effectiveness, pulling off headshots and such. Instead of iron sights, it would have a 'Scope-like' zoomed in mode.

To balance it, it would need to be reloaded by the player and ammo would NOT be unlimited, so a player can't just pop one at their backside and ignore it while racking up the kills. Also, it would be targeted by specimens, would take damage, and be DESTROYABLE, having, on average, about the same or less health as a player without armor would, so you can't hide behind it and have it tank. You could repair it with the welder.

You could have multiple versions of the turret, too. Some might include:
-The standard one, with about the power of a bullpup, but a much larger clip
-A "Sniper" variant with better built-in zoom and about the firepower of the Lever Action, but with much more ammo and clip size.
-A "Heavy Combat" variant that shoots about as hard as the AK-47 and has grenades as an alt-fire.

The turrets would be pick-up-able and would be pricey to replace if destroyed. *Shrug* I dunno...just an idea, anyway.

Upvote 0
Laptop gun from Perfect Dark, anyone?

The turret and the SMG could be one in the same. You can run around firing the SMG with primary. Secondary plants it as a turret and pulls the controller for it (I like the idea of a PDA-style device more than a laptop because carrying a laptop around seems kinda awkward).

I really like the idea though... However, I'm sure something like this, if it even gets considered, is WAY the heck out there in terms of development time/effort.

Upvote 0
Ah, that's right, we would call it Engineer ! :)
And obviously, using the laptop would disabled the movement : how can you move the turrel and walk at the same time ? But if a ZED hits you while you're using it, then, it would automatically shut down.
I also was thinking of some remote controled moving drone but maybe it would be a little too much ?

Well I have this magic floating laptop that follows me around when I'm controlling the turret guns in front of my house. It also has a microwave and a mini fridge taped onto the bottom and it prints pizzas out of the PC slot. But you do need to replace the cheese cartridge sometimes. Maybe I can buy more for engineer players?

Upvote 0
Well, give it a try :
- a P90 for close combat (as an APDW, it is suitable to this kind of perk, just like the medic Field) :

first, what is a turrel?

Upvote 0
It would be terrible. it's pretty common for a crawler to occasionally slip through your team's defences, and you don't want to get mobbed by a couple gorefasts either without seeing them coming. No mobility makes you a sitting duck for anything approaching out of your turret camera's field of view. Play on suicidal then come back and see if you still like the idea.

Upvote 0
first, what is a turrel?

euh yes, sorry : a turret !

It would be terrible. it's pretty common for a crawler to occasionally slip through your team's defences, and you don't want to get mobbed by a couple gorefasts either without seeing them coming. No mobility makes you a sitting duck for anything approaching out of your turret camera's field of view. Play on suicidal then come back and see if you still like the idea.

Well, yeah, that's why this game is based on cooperation !
And the P90 is well suited for these kind of close combats !

Upvote 0
So, i was thinking of the way to use these turrets :
when the laptop is switched on, the view would be the one of the screen : the interface would allow to switch between all the turrets that you have installed and control one of them. For the others that you not control, you would be able to choose between a passive mode where it wouldn't fire, and an automatic mode where it would attack all ZED in front of the camera. And you could allow it to watch the area by rotating, or just watch a fixe position.
Also, you could know from this interface the current state of all the turrets, the number of its ammuntion, if one is actually under attack, etc ...
There would be different kind of these turrets :
- an armored
- one with a rifle
- one with an automatic rifle
All of them would have a camera with a thermic vision mode.

For the P90, this could be its caracteristics :
- power inferior or equal to MP7
- fire rate inferior or equal to MP7
- clip of 50 munitions
- reload inferior or equal to MP7
- weight == MP7
- recoil == MP7
- price == MP7 (without discount for both of them)

Last edited:
Upvote 0