• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is demo class annoying?

Tom_hr

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
I don't know about you, but most players who are demo class shoot at everything with grenades, a lone crawler-->grenade, 2 clots-->grenade....

I noticed that I now spend most of the time staring at smoke the entire playthrough, even if I wanted to kill something I couldn't because of smoke.

Not to mention how many times I had the chance to swiftly kill sirens and scrakes only for everything to be ruined by smoke, and they then didn't even kill scrakes and sirens with those grenades, so you then receive damage you wouldn't otherwise.

It ruins so much....

Reactions: trick
The smoke is there for a reason. On one hand it's a tactical choice: Do I shoot my weapon in efforts to hopefully kill what I hit? If I do shoot it and don't kill my enemy will I or my team be able to kill it before it reaches me through the huge smoke cloud?

On the other hand, it could be seen as a major tool for griefing. Don't want your team to kill that fleshpound surrounded by clots? Shoot in front of them, enrage it, and watch your team struggle.

Personally I think it's a double edged sword but I don't really mind the class overall. In most of my games I've watched demolition players own themselves more often than I have seen them own the specimen waves.

Upvote 0
Im demolition class user myself. And Ive played lots of games using and watching that class. Ive seen great players use the demoman and they can own!.

Ive seen noobs use other classes such as SS and Support and they get owned easily. But I dont think the class is annoying because I know what the class can do when used properly :)

Upvote 0
Every class can get annoying. Like the Support class that welds every door he can see. The medic that goes fighting instead of healing. The Sharpshooter that attacks clots with a crossbow while the FP is raging. The Berserker that goes AWOL to kill some Specimen solo. And so on. If you get someone that's able to play the Perk good, then they aren't annoying. They are valuable.

Sure, the smoke is a downside, but a pretty important downside, otherwise the demo would be way to strong.

Upvote 0
The demo class really should only be handling large groups of light specimens when the need arises. They should be a kind of last resort to sudden floods of zeds. They shouldn't even be attacking fleshpounds and scrakes simply because sharpshooters are much better suited for that. This of course only works when playing with experienced and team players. One solution to smoke screens is to play as a commando. You'll see the healthbars through the smoke. From there, you can pretty much judge where the head is.

Upvote 0
The demo class really should only be handling large groups of light specimens when the need arises. They should be a kind of last resort to sudden floods of zeds. They shouldn't even be attacking fleshpounds and scrakes simply because sharpshooters are much better suited for that. This of course only works when playing with experienced and team players. One solution to smoke screens is to play as a commando. You'll see the healthbars through the smoke. From there, you can pretty much judge where the head is.

I can easily take out a fleshpound with two grenades from the M79. Easily.

Upvote 0
Their crowd control is quite overpowered, I think. Most demomen I played with had more than 150% of anyone's kill counter, even when we were all active on the front line.
Pretty damn true. And then there's the fact that their pipebombs are incredibly cheap and lightweight. And they stack round after round...
I remember we were all camping the tunnel on west london, and he must have had over 20 pipes in there. Beeping drove me insane...:(

Upvote 0
I have been loving the perk since it came out. The only time I start firing nades is: when FP is raging and in a group of people and I have no other choice, person surrounded by enemies and needs help, or if a berserker has dug himself into a hole, and maybe the usual far off group of enemies :p

The only downsides of the perk so far are your pipe bombs killing you, the smoke, and when there is a large group of enemies and a teammate walks in front of you bringing you down to 30ish health from full health and armor :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lol, I take it your what, 10 years old? And that you think you can take on anything? All im saying is, that if you know how to use the demo perk, it works.

An M79 has a base damage of 350, and at with a Demo perk of Level 5, you get 50% more explosives damage, which brings your total damage output to around what, 525? If Level 6 is 60% damage (Not sure, I'm only a Level 2), it's about 560.

The Fleshpound has a base health of 1500. On Beginner, all ZEDs have only 50% of their health, bringing the FP down to 750. I assume you are alone, because the Fleshpound gains 375 HP per player.

It is only possibly to 2 shot a Fleshpound on a single player Beginner game, since a Normal game would bring the FP's total HP to 1500, and at a Level 6 Demo, you're max damage for 2 M79 grenades is 1120.

You lose. Good day, sir.

Upvote 0
Pretty damn true. And then there's the fact that their pipebombs are incredibly cheap and lightweight. And they stack round after round...
I remember we were all camping the tunnel on west london, and he must have had over 20 pipes in there. Beeping drove me insane...:(

I personally find the beeping soothing.

So what exactly is your problem with the pipe bomb? Its lightweight and cheap, meaning that YOU could buy them if you had a spare block.

The prime weakness of the demoman is his lack of ammo and reload time, as well as his weakness against mobs that managed to get in close. Remember in large maps like farm its difficult to consistently camp with pipe bombs, and they run out quickly, and once you completely run out of pipe bombs, you can't resupply them. And believe me, when an entire horde is bearing down on your ***, those 20 primed pipe bombs (more like 10) easily run out.

In fact, the pipe bomb is the ultimate ace in the hole- I've saved my *** and that of my teammate from raging fleshpounds by dropping my last pipe bomb and kiting him into it, either gibbing him into little fleshy bits or severely weakening him that combined fire can take him down.

As for the smoke screen, just get a guy to follow you and leave that explosive happy guy alone. He'll probably get his *** chewed to death.

The Demoman does not render any class obsolete. Speaking from personal experience, its very easy to get your *** chewed on when you're not looking, even with your pipe bombs protecting your rear. You need teammates to cover your flank.

Upvote 0