• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free Weekend

I'm loving the freeweekend. So far it goes like this; me lvl5 support with a fraction of the lvl6 requirement left, someone lvl5 or 4, if the god graces us a lvl2-3 and lvl0s. It is okay if lvl0s have some survival sense. Barely make it Patriach and some times take him down.

And then map changes.

And then loading takes forever.

And then connection fails.

And then server is full.

I'm yet to play two maps on same server...

Upvote 0
I bought my own server, passworded it, and have been enjoying a nice low ping, no noob environment since last night. Shame we have to do this, but hell, it's not like it'll last past Sunday lol. I think we all flew off the handle, but at least it lets us know we are a tight community.

thats the way to go - same here, i just setted up a dedicated server and smash a password on it, when i want to play with my mate, when not, i take it out, so ppl can play and hopefully give their cash to TWI :D

Upvote 0
thats the way to go - same here, i just setted up a dedicated server and smash a password on it, when i want to play with my mate, when not, i take it out, so ppl can play and hopefully give their cash to TWI :D

Hell yeah. I'm gonna un p/w my server whenever Borderlands comes out, I'll be there for a while so hopefully TWI can gen. some revenue.

Upvote 0
Free weekend got old REALLY fast.

Most servers are full, and the ones that I can get into have some of the worst players I've ever encountered, resulting in my having more kills than all five of the other players combined.

One guy just wouldn't shut the **** up about everything. "Dude, how do I crouch", "Dude, where are you guys, I can't see you, what's wrong with my game" (at the beginning of the game when he's speccing), "Dude, why can't I buy this gun".

Another was the team's only medic and he walked around the ENTIRE game with only a welding torch out. Until, of course, we all died.

Have yet to have a single good game this weekend. Such a bittersweet update...

Upvote 0
One guy just wouldn't shut the **** up about everything. "Dude, how do I crouch", "Dude, where are you guys, I can't see you, what's wrong with my game" (at the beginning of the game when he's speccing), "Dude, why can't I buy this gun".

eh, some people just don't do trial and error well. i'm fine with teaching someone how to do even the obvious stuff, but it's whether or not he retains that info and doesn't ask again later that decides whether or not i get pissy

I keep screwing with the L4D people, though.

If I get hurt bad, I'll run into a corner, crouch, and claim to be "Incapped", asking for help. It works. I've had people spend almost a full 5 minutes trying to figure out how to get me back up!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you made my day :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so, what you're saying is......you don't want TW to grow? don't want them to attract more customers? you don't want FREE new content? buddy, you need a change in attitude.

stop whining about all the new players. if you can't get into a server, buy one, or better yet setup a listen or dedicated server and password it. if you don't like playing with "noobs" then only invite your friends (assuming you have some).

the combination of the new update, free weekend, and 25% off sale is really promoting TW. i already noticed today since the freeweekend is coming close to an end, KF sales have now put it on the steam top sellers list for this week. i bet you will see a lot more sales coming after the weekend is over simply because people were having so much fun, they want to keep playing, so of course they BUY it.

this weekend is turning out to be a benchmark event for not only KF, but TW as well and i hope they are thrilled with the success :)

Upvote 0
I'll say this about the free weekend: It's not as beneficial as it could be for TWI when new players try to find servers and have problems. First impressions are very, very important and many players don't care what the explanation is for things failing to work. I have a friend who bought KF on release, played the first few days and stopped because the server availability was so bad. It made for a doubly-frustrating situation: struggling to find a server, while also trying to learn the game. Luckily, he came back to it and actually started enjoying the game.

Free weekends are great for exposure...but they don't live up to their full potential if there aren't enough servers to play on. It may not be something TWI can solve...short of buying/renting a dozen servers to compensate for the increased player load. But that costs them money just to guarantee a good play experience for people who haven't yet bought the game...kind of a catch 22.

Upvote 0
Not enough servers?
buy one
make one

There's no way anybody could have predicted KF would have 20,000+ players playing at one time. Can't blame anyone for that. If more people buy more servers or learned how to set up their own (for free), then things would be different.

The one thing that TW might have done to help would have been to get something together with gameservers etc... to setup an extra 1000 servers or so for the weekend. Again, i don't think even TW could have imagined the amount of new players.

Upvote 0
I think what you guys forget is that when KF was first released it was full of new players that had no clue what they were doing - you and I. Some of us would have retarded strategies and had no clue how to do basic things such as self-healing. I see the same things on certain forums, whenever there's an influx of new users there's always a lot of oldbies that complain that there are too many "n00bs" around. After a while these "n00bs" learn and they'll become decent players. Well, I hope some will...

If I get hurt bad, I'll run into a corner, crouch, and claim to be "Incapped", asking for help. It works. I've had people spend almost a full 5 minutes trying to figure out how to get me back up!

I think it'd be a better idea to try not to alienate the L4D players that aren't here just to grief. :)

Upvote 0
Great. Now I have TF2 junkies asking when all the achievements they're getting will start unlocking new weapons... Ugh... I hope Valve realizes what a TERRIBLE idea achievement-based upgrades were now!

The biggest issue with the weekenders, aside from the mic-spamming, trader-blocking griefmonkeys, is that they DON'T LISTEN and they have NO CONCEPT OF TEAMWORK. When all 5 teammates switch to medic for no reason, you can pretty much assume the game will be over in the next round...

Upvote 0
I had some great fun with couple of lvl1-2 and 3-5 guys on Hard. We never got past 6-7 but everyone was trying their best. Somehow seeing effort people putting was worth getting wiped early on. Not to mention we were playing Waterworks-Wyre-Foundry... I couldn't stay for Bedlam but I think it would have been over before 3rd wave :p

I came across only one a**hole but he ragequitted when he ran out of ammo at second round in a normal server. I think he never got the clue why everyone was running towards the same place and those red wisps weren't there just for kicks.

Upvote 0