• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Specimen spawning different?

CupofMud

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Is it just me, or has the specimen spawning changed?

For a simple test, I played hard mode on Arcade Shopping Center. I camped in a skateboard corner with nine specimens (all clots) remaining. They were shambling towards me in a somewhat tight group from the shorter hallway. I hopped on the 'board and just as I reached the other end I caught the buggers just rounding the corner in my crossbow scope. I ran halfway down the shorter hallway on my end, turned around, and there walked a single clot, who appeared out of thin air. The rest of the herd came around the bend quite awhile after that.

Anyway, what I mean by all of that is, how'd that little dude get there so fast? Did he just warp there, in a sense? I notice this happening a lot more with this new patch, where the game will decide, "Hey man, I think your specimen abilities will be of more use right...here." It'll take a specimen and warp him a heck of a lot closer to the players, usually out of line of sight (right behind them, of course).

I've been playing for a few months, so I'm no stranger to the game. The only thing I can think of is that this new patch has me constantly looking for new/little changes, and I could be accidentally perceiving this as something new.

Does anyone else notice this happening/more frequently?

Yes, TWI has modified the spawn behaviour for specimens in pretty much every map. Unfortunately, this change brings about a negative "feature" that needs to be addressed.

Basically, if you move too far away from any group of specimens, the map will relocate them to a position that is closer to the players but just out of sight
until they shamble into vision.

However, this also leads to some rather nasty instances where the game (re)spawns specimens literally right behind, beside, or even directly on a player's position - making it nigh impossible to protect one's self.

I am in favour of the new mechanic, provided the aforementioned imperfections are smoothed out.

Upvote 0
Oh good, turns out it isn't just me. Yeah, a few times already I notice that when I look one way and then turn back around, a fleshpound'll just sort-of drop there instead of utilizing an actual spawn point or have the courtesy to at least walk around a corner. Not just *poof-ing* right there.

I suppose it's a good feature, but like you said, with things a bit odd in how it functions, it seems annoying.

Upvote 0