• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Loud and Silent Modes! Fiegn Death!

After having seen some other peoples threads about your players mental state, various threads about weapon functionality and even one about people screaming when they are in pain.
I then went to go play some Team Fortress 2, once I joined a game I started to realise that in TF2 your characters sometimes say certain things automatically using voice commands, stuff like "They got the Intel!" or "I'm BURNING!" or "Thanks for standin still ******" etc etc.
Then it hit me, wouldn't it be cool and far more immersive if your characters in RO:HOS would also talk to each other as they navigate the battlefield and fight their enemies. Small things like "Taking cover!" and "Oh god my legs I can't feel my legs" or even things like "Help under fire!" or "I can't move! Someone help me!", I then started to expand on the idea, with well I thought that if you character is constantly talking and interacting with other characters then wouldn't it make it impossible to ambush people?

So I thought we could maybe have two modes in the game.

Loud Mode (Could rename it to something else but this would be the default setting)

1. In loud Mode your character automatically interacts with other soldiers around him eg. "Oh thank god your here" or "I have seen you now!. There is no escape!"
  2. Also a bonus of being in Loud Mode is that you will apear on your teams map as a little dot, basically you are making your position aware to your friends this would also make it much less likely of you being teamkilled.
  3. This would greatly add to the ambient sounds of a battlefield. Right now Red Orchestra has some of the best ambient battlenoises of any game I have played, but wouldn't it be great to also hear over the MG and rifle fire the noises of soliders actually shouting too and at each other?
  4. You could have more stamina? Not having to hold/regulate your breath to stay silent means that you will be able to run/sprint further.
Silent Mode (Ambush Mode)

1. In Silent mode your character does NOT interact with friends or enemies via voice communication, this will allow you to sneak up on the enemy and create effective abushes.
  2. To make up for the lack of voice communication when ever you issue a voice command, such as the current "Go! Go! Go!" or "MG Position Ahead!" this could be done through a series of visable hand signals (Of course you would just subtitle these)
  3. While in silent mode you do NOT apear on the map of your friendly players, this would mean you more likely to be teamattacked if all your team see if a few men moving through a building but no marker on their map to indicate friendlies.
  4. In Silent Mode you move slower but quieter. This has two functions, moving slower means you just wont have silent mode on all the time that it will be nessesary to have it toggled on and off depending on the situation but then it means say your footsteps are quieter and the jingle of your ammo knocking together wont be so loud giving away your position. (Nothing to drastic say like 20% slower, noticable but not a definate killer).
  5. This is just an idea, but you won't apear on your enemies map when spotted, only if you fire. This would allow you to basically hide in the rubble of a building, and pounce people when they get close.

Other ideas:

Feign death - This is a feature I have seen in a few games and I think it could add to this one greatly. I believe the feature is already in UT3 and the idea would be the same. You hit a button and your character falls to the ground but with a difference. When you are in feign death mode your screen is black, but you can use your mouse wheel to slide open and close your eyes.

This would have two effects, you can now see, but the enemy can also see you opening and closing your eyes, which would alert them you are not actually dead.
You could have a system that makes your eyes "water" if you have them open for too long causing your screen to blur this would insure you not just having your eyes open all the time.
I just think it would be cool if you in a room with a bunch of people, an MG rips through killing everyone but your self, wounded and can't escape enemy soldiers enter the room and you just fall to the ground hoping they will just pass on by so you can either escape or avenge your friends.

This would also add a new element to the game, currently in nearly all the FPS's I have played if you see a body you just carry on, knowing that it wont get back up and try to kill you, but with these ideas every time you see a body you could potentialy be seeing your killer. This would give you a choice of wasting ammo and time shooting at every body you see or just having to carry on hoping your team has already checked.

I have some other ideas which I will add later, I just want to see what you guys think of these few.

I also apologise for any spelling and grammar mistakes.

I like the ideas, but you should be able to clearly indicate in some way that you want your character to be quiet, be it as an option in a menu, or just a button that switches between loud and silent mode.
It would be great for immersion if you hear the Germans and Russians in their own languages ofcourse, talking to eachother, such as an automatic 'i'm reloading and need ammo!' for the MG-gunner, and another soldier resupplying ammo saying 'here you go' instead of a text pop-up, and ofcourse there are many more situations where this would be great.

Upvote 0