• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

M14 EBR = disappointment

Just my 2 cents, I feel like the M14 would be much harder to use if it had a scope. Maybe it's just my monitor size and resolution; but on most maps you really need your weapon to fire close enough to take out whatever just rounded the corner. Anyway, most real snipers don't use a zoom anyway. At the absolute MOST, add a no-zoom red dot.

Upvote 0
When I got a hold of the M14, I whipped around and 3-shot headshotted a scrake on normal. I 4 shot headshotted a fleshpound.

I routinely kill fleshpounds and scrakes via headshots and get headshots like they were going out of style.

This is basically the best aspect of the lever action rifle (accuracy, range), the best aspect of the 9mm (low recoil, high mag capacity, fast reload), and the Handcannon (huge power) and a laser sight to boot.

There's not even any real reason any of you should be complaining about the EBR, it's by far the best weapon in any remotely skilled sharpshooter's hands. I got over a thousand headshots in just one night with my EBR.

Upvote 0
Yo I just want to mention that I was soloing hard mode last night with the EBR and I routinely killed fleshpounds and scrakes....pretty leisurely, actually, before they got to me and without a reload between the two of them.

Like, literally, it took me five rounds out of the 20 on average to kill an FP and he was still at least five feet away from me. This is on hard mode.

Can't believe anyone would complain about this rifle.

Upvote 0
It's excellent at medium to close range. I'm not disputing that. I'm saying for long range, it's trash without a scope, and being a Sharpshooter weapon it ought to be very, very capable at long range - which would require a damned scope.

That's my only gripe, you can't aim accurately enough for long distances.

QFT

It pops off heads at mid range with ease but the iron sights are no way enough for long range shooting, at least with any real accuracy for headshots.

Upvote 0
It's excellent at medium to close range. I'm not disputing that. I'm saying for long range, it's trash without a scope, and being a Sharpshooter weapon it ought to be very, very capable at long range - which would require a damned scope.

Easy solution is to buy a crossbow. The scope allows it for fill a niche and gives it the purpose of the highest ranged attack. There's also another weapon that was excellent in mid range combat and had no scope for long range, named the lever action rifle, but I heard no call for a scope on that weapon simply because the sharpshooter used it. The EBR, to me, is to the LAR what the AK was to the Bullpup, which is an upgrade, with a minor setback.

Upvote 0

No, I can aim accurately, you can't.

I think you should qualify your statement by saying "if you are a noob, you can't aim accurately enough for long distances."

Upvote 0
Easy solution is to buy a crossbow. The scope allows it for fill a niche and gives it the purpose of the highest ranged attack. There's also another weapon that was excellent in mid range combat and had no scope for long range, named the lever action rifle, but I heard no call for a scope on that weapon simply because the sharpshooter used it. The EBR, to me, is to the LAR what the AK was to the Bullpup, which is an upgrade, with a minor setback.

Negative, the M-14 has the same power as the LAR, except it is a semi-automatic with a 20 round magazine and substantially faster reload.

Oh, did I mention that it has a laser sight, allowing you to engage targets from any range from the hip, maximizing movement and target acquisition speed?

In a zed time today I cleared 4 Gorefasts by hipping their heads. Pop, pop, pop, pop, before zed time ended.

It also weighs less and I never use enough ammunition on any level to actually require me to get another gun, meaning my movement speed is always maximized.

There is no comparison between any sharpshooter weapon and the M-14EBR. If you don't feel that way, go playtest it some more, pop some Zed heads, and acknowledge the obvious truth. 20 rounds of equal power and accuracy to the LAR with faster movement speed and fire rate with double the mag capacity and faster reload? What are you all complaining about?

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm confused about the setback.... you should be able to no scope easily with the laser. Heck you should be able to no scope pretty well w/out the laser even. Long range, iron sights, but not necessary. Just look for the little red dot. Or just adjust on your 2nd and 3rd shots no scope.

I mean I can headshot relatively easily med/long range with dualies so with the rifle it's funny.

Upvote 0
Just my 2 cents, I feel like the M14 would be much harder to use if it had a scope. Maybe it's just my monitor size and resolution; but on most maps you really need your weapon to fire close enough to take out whatever just rounded the corner. Anyway, most real snipers don't use a zoom anyway. At the absolute MOST, add a no-zoom red dot.

wow...
just......wow.....

Upvote 0
wow...
just......wow.....

Ever read Snow Crash?

(Vic is a sniper who doesn't use a scope on his gun)

"It's, like, one of them drug dealer boats," Vic says, looking through his magic sight. "Five guys on it. Headed our way."
He fires another round. "Correction. Four guys on it."
Boom. "Correction. They're not headed our way anymore."
Boom. A fireball erupts from the ocean two hundred feet away. "Correction. No boat."

I MEANT WHAT I WROTE. Rifle-only snipers are the badass ones.

Upvote 0
Various stop stroking yourself. You can't use Iron Sights at extreme range anywhere near as effectively as you could a scope so quit the bull****. Also the laser is useless at long range because, news flash, YOU CAN'T SEE IT.

Why do i get the feeling your 1 of these players who puts a mark in the centre of his screen because he can't handle the lack of crosshairs...

Upvote 0
Various stop stroking yourself. You can't use Iron Sights at extreme range anywhere near as effectively as you could a scope so quit the bull****. Also the laser is useless at long range because, news flash, YOU CAN'T SEE IT.

Why do i get the feeling your 1 of these players who puts a mark in the centre of his screen because he can't handle the lack of crosshairs...

God I wish I had a digital camera and some recording software. Oh, the pwnage would be sweet.

Actually, I'm one of those players that occupies the hipshooting servers on Red Orchestra Ost Front. Seeing as RO has free aim, the mark in the center of my screen would be useless. I wish I could prove my anecdotes to you (if you were any average sharpshooter you could probably recreate them no problem), but unfortunately I don't have the time to sit around making stupid recordings of my "accomplishments."

The laser goes to the exact center of your screen. Your irons go to the exact center of your screen. They line up exactly. Honestly, if you're having such a rough time getting kills using the irons on the M14, maybe you COULD put a dot in the center of your screen so you could stop trolling forums just because you're useless.

This game doesn't have a tenth of the draw distance that Red Orchestra does, and I can see the M14 laser out to ranges beyond which an enraged fleshpound on hard mode can't reach me before I kill him. There are no "extreme ranges" in Killing Floor, the draw distance caps out before you reach 100 meters, which is a pretty average effective range for a WWII ironsighted submachine gun. What are you complaining about?

If you're really having that much of a hard time, spam bullets in the general direction of an observed target. The spread of the M-14 as a level 5 sharpshooter isn't all that great.

And if you still can't figure out how to use this nugget of solid gold, then just pick up a crossbow and STFU.

Upvote 0
There are no "extreme ranges" in Killing Floor, the draw distance caps out before you reach 100 meters, which is a pretty average effective range for a WWII ironsighted submachine gun. What are you complaining about?

Indeed, any competent user with a simple, super cheap sten could dominate at 100 meters :rolleyes:

The M14 ingame is a monster at any range and makes mincemeat out of anything you can hit in the head, which is nice and easy thanks to it's accuracy. Double taps to the head ftw :)

Upvote 0
A renowned Finnish sniper, Simo Hayhaa only used iron sights and racked up over 500 kills in 100 days!!!

Not all the kills were with a rifle as some were with an smg but still, incredible!

If you're interested..

http://www.kevos4.com/Simo_Hayha.htm

Ever read Snow Crash?

(Vic is a sniper who doesn't use a scope on his gun)

"It's, like, one of them drug dealer boats," Vic says, looking through his magic sight. "Five guys on it. Headed our way."
He fires another round. "Correction. Four guys on it."
Boom. "Correction. They're not headed our way anymore."
Boom. A fireball erupts from the ocean two hundred feet away. "Correction. No boat."

I MEANT WHAT I WROTE. Rifle-only snipers are the badass ones.

AHaha, oh wow.

No, Simo Hayha didn't use optics because his targets were typically massed Soviet infantry at comparatively close range (he operated in a forest, after all), and because a scope would've increased his profile and possibly given away his position with glint off the lens.

But in no way do "most real snipers" not use magnifying optics, that's just absurd. The ones that don't are in a very small minority and only do so when the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Upvote 0