• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Connection to server dies after joining

JimForTheWin

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 3, 2009
I got the game yesterday and have been able to play some rounds on a few servers, but the whole thing is a bit tempremental.

Shortly after joining a server, the connection will seem to freeze or drop or something. Those character models that were moving will continue to move in the direction that they were previously, walking into walls and things.

This is causing much frustration ruining my enjoyment of the game. I've already checked my windows firewall settings, and the game is being allowed. I've also set the ServerBehindNAT=True in the KillingFloor.ini.

Anyone have any ideas?

We are working on this issue, as it's been a problem for a number of users, but we have not been able to figure out exactly what's causing the problem. We have discussed this issue with British Telecom(BT), o2, and Thomson, as they seem to be the main common link between the users with this issue. We are currently attempting to get a BT router over to the US to perform more testing in our studio. We apologize for the delay.

Upvote 0
We are working on this issue, as it's been a problem for a number of users, but we have not been able to figure out exactly what's causing the problem. We have discussed this issue with British Telecom(BT), o2, and Thomson, as they seem to be the main common link between the users with this issue. We are currently attempting to get a BT router over to the US to perform more testing in our studio. We apologize for the delay.

Its about time Tripwire actually decided it was worth "patching," I haven't been able to play for the best part of 3 months now. Lost all interest in the game, shame really. Oh well, L4D and BF2 work.

Upvote 0
I pre-ordered the game and I ALWAYS had this issue. If I join through server browser after a few seconds the connection to the server gets lost. BUT if I join through friends on Steam I can connect just fine (everytime). So no, I don't think it's an ISP issue and I believe you're looking at the problem from the wrong angle. I believe it's from your code itself. Hope this gets to whoever it should and helps in solving the problem.

Upvote 0
It is a problem with a pre-set and hidden routing rule on Speedtouch (Thomson / BT HomeHub) routers, which basically cause a disconnect exactly 1 minute after querying the steam master server list. See [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=499489&postcount=15[/URL]

Quite possibly Tripwire will be able to come up with a workaround, but you could try some of the fixes I listed in that post.

Workarounds:
1. Type reconnect into the console after joining (twice).
2. Wait 1 minute after refreshing the server list before joining.
3. Try forwarding the UDP ports 27010-27011 to your IP address in the router setup.

Fix:
Telnet into the router and delete the rule (see [url]https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1452-HCVB-6984[/URL] - Zen (UK) Routers).

Upvote 0
So this doesn't address the connection failure between map switches does it?

Basically to continue playing after finishing one game of any map on any difficulty on both listen and dedicated servers we have to completely close down killing floor GUI and all. Forcing us to run a new copy of KF every time we want to play one round.

We're all experiencing a delay issue on the first connection, but the 2nd one just well... I made 3 min video at the 10 minute mark of loading a kf map, though I haven't posted it up on youtube yet.

What I have noticed is that a few times when I end KF.exe I can catch a glimpse of the Connecting to "IP" screen, as if it prematurely started loading the map without actually first connecting to the server.

Upvote 0
Connection failed

Connection failed

Iv played the game pretty flawless for 3 months, and now after the update the goddamn game continuly tells me that the connection fails.

The refreshing and receiving from the masterserver is ridiculus!
So is the starting time on the map.

i Live in sweden, so it shouldnt be a british prob, since it happend after the update.

Upvote 0
I have this problem too, I see a lot of people has it since the update! I have a speedtouch router with an access point and my pc is linked wireless. I didn't have any problem before the update, now I am disconnected after some seconds after connection, I see very few servers with low ping, when map change game get stuck or sometimes it get stuck randomly when I attempt to play.
The "reconnect" way works, but this is not a solution, it's annoying, I want this fixed

Upvote 0
I'm also having this problem, 90% of servers get the 'Connection Failed' error and I cannot use the reconnect command in the console to fix it. I've tried all solutions mentioned on this website and none of them work.

I've also noticed that servers with 0/6 people on, sometimes if you connect to them they say 'Server is now full' and if you view the server stats on some servers via Steam it shows as something ridiculous like 10/6 or me and a friend have had 7/11. All the Non-Password (I hate you people) servers are of an enourmas ping.
Another thing to add is that VPN hosting like Hamachi no longer works, me and a friend used to do it constantly and now we are unable to get past the 'Connecting' screen when trying to connect to one another so we both have to go and play Singleplayer due to the fact that we live quite far apart from eachother so we can't play on the same server.

Upvote 0
That telnet fix works on the BT HomeHub V2 (New, black one) right?
I just tried that stuff, had to enable the telnet service first in Vista, but the
'telnet speedtouch' & 'telnet 192.168.1.254' are returning 'connection failed on port 23'.

No, BT or Thomson disabled telnet in the later 1.5 and 2 HomeHubs, and BT also disabled it in updates to the version 1 hub. I don't know of any other way of removing this rule on any of these unfortunately.

This means that you are stuck using the workarounds, which are the following.
Type reconnect into the console (you'll probably have to do this twice).
Wait one minute after getting a server list before joining.
Try using the Steam server browser to find and join a game rather than the in-game one.
Try using the Application Sharing part of the router (if that is still there) and select Half-Life, and your internal IP address. There has been a few posts on the internet that suggest this worked.

Upvote 0