• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Perk Level Progress Past 5*

ZetsumeiSol

Jul 25, 2009
I'm sure everyone has seen the new updates that were posted on IGN just now! I must say I'm very impressed! So much offered at no cost! I know a good majority of the players have all their perks 5*, and with this update there will be a chance to push it beyond that. Pretty much all my bars are filled ie. Melee damage 11 million out of 3.9. Was wondering if they're going to clear all of the progress out? Reset our counters to 0/(insert number here for next level)? Or just leave them as is, and possibly give the players that kept on playing after hitting 5* a small lead on getting the next level? Either way it wont be a big deal, still a GREAT update! Keep up the great work TW!

My buddy is also fretting over this. He's at 10k headshots already, which is 2x what it takes to get rank 5 SS. He doesn't want to log in tomorrow and find he's already leveled perks.

Problem is, TWI can't balance perk leveling to the top 1% of KF players who play like, every day. Less hardcore players will never see the benefits at the rate they play.

Still, I'm hoping the Rank 6 requirements are closer to "excessive" than "easy." I bought KF on release day, and have leveled every perk to 4 now playing casually. I'm not worried about how soon I will or won't get my perks...but I feel for the people that play the game a crap ton but still want to enjoy working their way towards Rank 6.

Upvote 0
Still, I'm hoping the Rank 6 requirements are closer to "excessive" than "easy." I bought KF on release day, and have leveled every perk to 4 now playing casually. I'm not worried about how soon I will or won't get my perks...but I feel for the people that play the game a crap ton but still want to enjoy working their way towards Rank 6.

If someone play crap tons of the game, they've already worked their way to lv 6, in an unconscious:cool: way.

Upvote 0
So what I gather in the review, you spawn with a different weapon at level 6, maybe with the new toys?

At any rate, I'm more interested in what the perk bonuses are going to be at level 6 aside from the new weapon spawn.

Well the interview also notes the new weapons are there for when you have extra cash but stocked up with the specials. I guess Lvl 6 will get those specials (ak47 for commando, xbow for sharpshooter, Mp7 for medic... etc). It's a little curious as Firebug doesn't have anything specfic for him (Scar for Commando, EBR for sharpshooter, 6 shot gl for demo, AA-12 for support, Mp7 for Medic...) I guess firebug will get one shot gl at lvl5 and firethrower and lvl 6. And if that's the case firebug gl will hopefully cause regular dmg plus the effect of hand grenades.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why the hell is this game becoming an action RPGmore than an FPS? I was glad to finally see the end of perk levelling when i reached level 5. I don't care what you think, a perk that isn't maxed is not at its full potential and with the full potential including a free weapon that is a huge difference.

I've already seen people avoid this game because they don't feel the need to waste time levelling perks before they can actually play it properly, now its just getting worse. Its like Valve turning around as they release L4D2 and saying "oh by the way, you can't use the Autoshotgun until you've killed 10,000 infected with the Pump Shotgun".

Maps and guns are great, the increase in grind is completely unnecessary when they could've just changed them so lvl4 gets a weapon and lvl5 gets a bigger gun. I see they've made a much needed change to the buy system which is good, hopefully further changes to allow fora a bunch of 'loadouts' too so you can buy all the gear you normally use in 1 click.

Upvote 0
Lol, I guess you just can't please some people. Even though most of what KF does is completely standard in the fps shooter market now. Is it so offensive to stand there, doing what you do in a FPS, while your perk increases?

Really? Let me compare this 'standard behaviour' to the only other FPS i've played that does this crap, Call of Duty 4 (ok a limited sample admittadly). Once you get past the rather stupid first few levels where you can't choose your own class, you get a fairly wide range of Perks and weapons available. The only high level perks i used were Bandolier and Iron Lungs. The guns were available to begin with or low level ones. But, there was ONE thing to level and it happened no matter what you did and more importantly, happened faster if you were actually good. This game is just grind. Your perks were no less powerful than a max level once you had them, on this they are.

Standard doesn't mean good. *turns into Yahtzee* ****ty power armoured space marines are standard. Been able to turn every useless object nearby into cover is standard. Yet with all this 'standard' rubbish, Counter Strike and Source are still going strong and they have none of this 'standard' stuff.

Upvote 0
Why the hell is this game becoming an action RPGmore than an FPS? I was glad to finally see the end of perk levelling when i reached level 5. I don't care what you think, a perk that isn't maxed is not at its full potential and with the full potential including a free weapon that is a huge difference.

I've already seen people avoid this game because they don't feel the need to waste time levelling perks before they can actually play it properly, now its just getting worse. Its like Valve turning around as they release L4D2 and saying "oh by the way, you can't use the Autoshotgun until you've killed 10,000 infected with the Pump Shotgun".

Maps and guns are great, the increase in grind is completely unnecessary when they could've just changed them so lvl4 gets a weapon and lvl5 gets a bigger gun. I see they've made a much needed change to the buy system which is good, hopefully further changes to allow fora a bunch of 'loadouts' too so you can buy all the gear you normally use in 1 click.

... its not really the perks that make a player good. ive seen ppl with lvl 5 die just as quick as anyone else. the guns are available to everyone, but if you want to specialize in a certain gun then go ahead. i dont whine because i cant afford a katana as a commando, but if i really want one i can still get one even though im not a zerker.

so no, i dont have to kill 10,000 infected with the pump shotgun just so i can use a autoshotty ;-)

Upvote 0
The guns were available to begin with or low level ones. But, there was ONE thing to level and it happened no matter what you did and more importantly, happened faster if you were actually good. This game is just grind. Your perks were no less powerful than a max level once you had them, on this they are.

in CoD4, youre in the military, so of course you can pick just about any gun you like. in KF, youre a survivor who buys things from a trader, of course theyre not going to just let you get any gun you want when you spawn.

KF isnt grind, but it can be if thats all youve come for. some of us dont think with our epeens, we just play the game and have a good time.

Upvote 0
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Team Fortress 2
CoD 4
CoD WAW
MW2
M.A.G

And on. I can't even count the number of SP FPS that use RPG mechanics now.

Yet with all this 'standard' rubbish, Counter Strike and Source are still going strong and they have none of this 'standard' stuff.
Who makes TF2? Yeah, that's right. And what does the fact that CS still has people playing it have anything to do with what people also like over a decade later?

People clearly like the RPG-esqe features in a FPS...and in KF...and considering how long you've been playing KF, it's more than a little laughable you're freaking out about a perk level increase of 1, now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
... its not really the perks that make a player good. ive seen ppl with lvl 5 die just as quick as anyone else. the guns are available to everyone, but if you want to specialize in a certain gun then go ahead. i dont whine because i cant afford a katana as a commando, but if i really want one i can still get one even though im not a zerker.

so no, i dont have to kill 10,000 infected with the pump shotgun just so i can use a autoshotty ;-)

Not even remotely relevant to what i said. Level 5 isn't as powerful as level 2 for 2 evenly matched players, so you lose. Bringing up the old "oh but i kicked more *** at lvl2 than some people do at lvl5" arguement is getting kinda lame. It doesn't prove anything.

Evilsod, let me tell you this. You dont like level up? Play on non-whitelist servers. Okay?

Still unsatisfied? How about this? Just play at normal. Play kf like you play any CS or CoD or whatever you want. Lv will eventually come, and if you hate to spawn with a weapon, protip : press "\".

There you go. Any other question?

blah blah blah, doesn't mean a thing.

in CoD4, youre in the military, so of course you can pick just about any gun you like. in KF, youre a survivor who buys things from a trader, of course theyre not going to just let you get any gun you want when you spawn.

KF isnt grind, but it can be if thats all youve come for. some of us dont think with our epeens, we just play the game and have a good time.

Whats that got to do with anything? KF is/was a grind. Just because the grind goes away once you've finished it and never shows itself again doesn't mean it wasn't there to begin with. At least thats what i thought, then they just extended the grind.

Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Team Fortress 2
CoD 4
CoD WAW
MW2
M.A.G

And on. I can't even count the number of SP FPS that use RPG mechanics now.

Who makes TF2? Yeah, that's right. And what does the fact that CS still has people playing it have anything to do with what people also like over a decade later?

People clearly like the RPG-esqe features in a FPS...and in KF...and considering how long you've been playing KF, it's more than a little laughable you're freaking out about a perk level increase of 1, now.

Sorry but pseudo RPG elements in something that should never have contained them at all does not a good RPG make. They're too long to be considered anything but pointless grind. Where exactly is this proof that people like poor RPG elements? That people play the games? As i said with CoD4 the grind is barely noticable and hardly relevant half the time.

TF2 sucks because of its game mechanics. As for its RPG elements... er... what? Its mechanics for finding weapons is more stupid than RPG related. As for single player games, thats got nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0
Sorry but pseudo RPG elements in something that should never have contained them at all does not a good RPG make. They're too long to be considered anything but pointless grind. Where exactly is this proof that people like poor RPG elements? That people play the games? As i said with CoD4 the grind is barely noticable and hardly relevant half the time

the grind in CoD4 is so unnoticable that if im new to the game i cant make my own kit.

Upvote 0