• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game engine outdated

It looks good, I saw something like parallax mapping or whatever it's called in the editor straight away, textures are really brought out to look 3D.
But games like Garry's mod look way too bright for me even with the brightness turned right down.

I just turn off the bloom in the options. Helps a lot. Games like gmod don't need lighting fluff.

Upvote 0
naw he's just clearly never tried to code a game before.

and he's right, graphics aren't what make a game good. anyone who's ever owned an n64 can testify to this.

the video game market having just had a big graphics generation increase with new graphics cards and consoles coming out has been so obsessed with quality of graphics that they aren't bothering to spend time on making their games actually fun. I'm sorry but if you think a game like force unleashed or gears of war are the most awesome games of all time then you have no idea what a fun game is. those games are pure graphical fluff with minimal simplistic gameplay. they are the kind of games you play once and then stick it on your shelf.

there's a reason that many people still play unreal tournament 99 despite the fact that its 10 years old.

I still play my n64 i love zelda ocarina of time. Also people should think about the source engine. People need to realize that UE 2 is from 2004 approximitly and source is way newer something like 1 month later in 2004 lol. As i said the two engines graphics arent much different as L4D's graphics are outdated infact source engine looks outdated in all cases. We know this because the infinity ward engine 4.0 graphics look much better than source engine and so do other engines especially the engine used in crysis. The whole main statement it boils down to is "Source looks outdated but HL2 is still an amazing game, Crysis looks amazing but the AI is dumb as hell and might as well not have any AI at all."

Oh and hey if you want it to have a better engine im sure TWI will hand you the source code and you convert it to another engine. Im sure they will also grant you the gift of fighting off the law suits all on your own.

Upvote 0
rly?

W....t.......

*fall off the chair*

I'm serious. An enemy should not turn into a ****ing lightbulb when you shoot it just cuz you're shooting incendiary rounds. You know you have too much bloom when you can't see the enemy anymore while you're shooting it because it's shrouded in nothing but sheer light and fuzziness.

That is called bad lighting and bloom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Exactly.
I've seen that somewhere. I don't know where, but I've played something where the devs thought that having the muzzle flash 10x bigger than normal size would make it look better.
And the thing about UT3 games i've noticed, or maybe just GoW and UT3, is that ingame it just seems to be textured.
I mean, it looks good, but sometimes everything looks like it's taking the erm, exact same amount of light.
Look.
1159384076.jpg

His bald head is the same colour as the floor, and the wall, and the floor down there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the bigger issue here is that people consider Gears of War's graphics engine to be good to start with...

I'm sure if we dumped enough shades of brown into Killing Floor and cranked up the light bloom to over 9000, we could replicate it...

1159384076.jpg

^=== I mean, just look at it! Grey, mixed with some brown and some more brown. It's like playing in a giant, used toilet bowl...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really hope we will see Killing Floor 2 with more in-depth story objectives, more polish and updated engine and physics.

Making a new game with a new engine is likely to decrease the polish of the game. Because games like this thrive on user made content it is usually a poor idea to roll out sequels quickly. Besides it is much easier to roll out updates for a story mode (or even get it via user content) than make a new game. If we see KF2 before 3 -4 years from now I would be very surprised.

Upvote 0
The main improvement isn't the graphics. This engine isn't meant to push new PC hardware to its limits again or to expand what's possible, graphically. The main improvement is cross-platform compatibility and as far as that goes it seems like a developer's wet dream.

I'll agree with that. Realtime changing physics just in the editor. Amazing.

Upvote 0