• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Dextronauts Competition Maps:

Haven`t seen thees maps yet but I like the idea :))

just posting this to qualify for the rules. the maps are decent, and Impressionistic. heres some quick screenshots for the Forum.

PS: still working on all 3, just minor things like marylux's distance fog and emitters, etc.

PPS: ricotta cheesecake, go for it.

kf-PICgrevona.jpg

KF-PICoviamoire.jpg

KF-PICmarylux.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First I'll address Gervora:

The map has a good amount of variety to the environment. That being said I played though twice and the hallways felt like a labyrinth. There are not many features to distinguish each corridor and I many times wondered if I got turned around because of the size of the level.

While it is nice to have lots of area to use, having a farm sized map (although this isn't) made out of corridors would not contibute vastly to the gameplay. At this point you probably won't change it before submitting it for the competition, but the top two levels seem far to big for their usefulness.

Also the boats that show up every one in a while are acessable for the player and heavily restrict specs from reaching them.

Otherwise this level seems very well crafted. Nice work.

Next Marylux:

I liked this map much better. The contrasting gameplay that arises in this maps is fun. It even includes real z-axis fighting. Which brings me to an issue. The house that has an overhang allows player a view over a large area while only minorly restricting them. Sepcs cannot get to the player except be using the stairs in the house, but the player can jump down onto the object below, taking about 10 damage.

Also the chairs in the house on the ice move. Could be broken. Could not find a way to do so. Unlike the mod version the objects don't hurt you so it probably isn't an issue.

Finally Oviamoire:
The style of the map is fresher than Grevona and equal to that of Marylux. The map has a lot of potential. It also feels like a unfinished map. The lighting is ok, but no spectacular. Gameplay isn't stellar, but very solid. Easily the most varied of the three in visuals (the rainforest(?) room).
But the optimazation is terrible. Or at least something is (didn't take a look in editor).
My rig easily handled the other maps with 200+ fps (solo) but ground through at about 40ish fps. Very odd and very reminisent of other poorly optimized maps. Perhaps it isn't zoned or something, but with this issue fixed it could be a very great map.

Overall very nice work. I am pleased to see maps like these coming out after the deluge of poor maps during the first wave of Killing Floor Mapping Contest.

Edit:
Because of the wall of text, important parts are in orange.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

My rig easily handled the other maps with 200+ fps (solo) but ground through at about 40ish fps.
?????

Ok first off what is your rig. Unless you are running a extreme processor i7 with triple or quad sli and overclocked. I seriously doubt you are averaging 200 fps. I may be a rookie map builder. However not a rookie computer builder. Maybe seeing it on top end in some areas. Then again you may have a system from hell. Other then that decent feedback.

I like the maps overall. Dex puts out unique maps. Not run of the par. I love the snow. Which is hard to pull off. Every map I have played of Dex's has always had pretty decent zoning. If there is an issue he fill fix it.

The rain room is awesome. Do not get rid of it. Also this is still in the beta section so I know you are still tweaking on it.

All these maps have come a long way from first beta. Great job Dex.

Also they have been added to my clan servers. Just need to reboot them.

Upvote 0
akame: thank you for taking the time to write out a review of each. this thread was just to qualify for the competition (maps must be public). so i wasnt expecting any review type things, or any replies honestly haha. but thank you for taking the time to check out the maps.

grevona: it has a very eccentric layout. but im not sure what you mean about the top two levels? the map is quite small but i make good use of such a small space by having everything interconnecting.

marylux: there is no way in hell you can camp that house with rooftop access. the bulk of spawns are situated behind that house with ramps leading up to where the part of wall is missing.

oviamoire: now this is a big map. an exploration into alternate environmentz. the optimization is PERFECT... EXCEPT for the snow spawn area, but even that area is decent. 40 fps is what i get during action in a TWI map, 90 fps during the slow times. so if your computer normally gets 200fps (...), you should have NO problem running ANY part of oviamoire.

PS: akame, i made these maps for froofy ppl like you and me, but maybe more ppl will understand them and its nods to the mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@THEDDLE:
My computer has 3.0 dual core and ati 3570. It can easily handle current gen games. I was only reporting what the internal fps function in KF was reporting.

@Dextronaut

If I come off as being overcritical, it is because I find it annoying when people only praise a map rather than offer on critical analysis on maps that could use it or for people who ask for it. Not everyone is a mapper, but still... No map is ever perfect.

Grevona: The top two levels are primerally corridors (purple(?) and dock house-ish). If I was the mapper I would mix them and add more defining elements (also ones that effect gameplay). The current build makes it difficult to know where you are (in the top two levels), even after playing a few times.

Ovi: After going in again I found what was killing me. The snow was affecting me because I was ghosting (I wanted to get through all the maps, but really didn't have time for this one). But the snow is really tough on my machine. I am interested to find out how it hits low power systems.

Marylux: I didn't see the spawns, but this still stricks me as a place that people will camp and not discover the rest of the map, but I have yet to test it. I will try to get around to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Dextronaut

If I come off as being overcritical, it is because I find it annoying when people offer on critical analysis on maps that could use it or for people who ask for it.

wait... what?! you find it annoying when ppl offer a critical analysis on a map that could use it, or when ppl ask for a critical analysis? might want to rewrite that one.

Grevona: The top two levels are primerally corridors (purple(?) and dock house-ish). If I was the mapper I would mix them and add more defining elements (also ones that effect gameplay). The current build makes it difficult to know where you are (in the top two levels), even after playing a few times.

ah yes, the rainy part with the purplish colors. that area is HIGHLY dangerous, very misleading, and VERY confusing. whereas the underground may look dark and scary, its safer down there. im reinforcing a concept. im also adapting to KF retail. in the mod the zombies were much harder, but now they drop like flies so the only way to combat that AND challenge players is to make the maps more difficult.

Ovia: But the snow is really tough on my machine. I am interested to find out how it hits low power systems.

i get decent FPS on that: 90FPS normal, but in that area about 50FPS. so if youre getting 200FPS naturally, youre exageratting how tough it is on your machine. and i think you know how it hits lower end systems ;-)

Marylux: I didn't see the spawns, but this still stricks me as a place that people will camp and not discover the rest of the map, but I have yet to test it. I will try to get around to it.

people can camp anywhere if they play as a good team. thats just the fact of KF. there are plenty of spawns behind the house and to the side of it. the zombies have 2 ways in, the player has 2 ways out. if a group of 6 ppl were to hold that rooftop, they could do it, just like if a group of 6 ppl were to hold the U room in Biotislab they could do it.

Upvote 0
The main I was making with Marylux was that you don't want to make one area so much better than the rest of the map. You want people to use the entire map. That's why you created it. I still will need to test it.

For the top two levels, there is a difference between difficult and fun. I don't mind the challenge the map presents as one of the few maps that has that kind of layout, but for reaching a wider audience and keeping player playing your maps (or at least accessing that part of the level) you want to make it appealing to the eye and easy to follow. The hard fix would be retooling your level, which I know is not going to happen (at least not soon). The easy fix it to include identifiable objects (think biotics lab or so).

Upvote 0
you want to make it appealing to the eye and easy to follow. The hard fix would be retooling your level, which I know is not going to happen (at least not soon). The easy fix it to include identifiable objects (think biotics lab or so).
I dont know what your talking about, this map is fun in every aspect. I think the point of this lvl was to draw the players towards the center of the map so they can fight to the death there. I love how after wards there are many areas in which traders were place. This way you have to fight your way back to the middle because you are being forced to by the zombies. This is one of my Fav maps. :D

Upvote 0
The main I was making with Marylux was that you don't want to make one area so much better than the rest of the map. You want people to use the entire map. That's why you created it. I still will need to test it.

you might not like playing in that area, but others will. so i try to make the outside aswell as the inside look good on marylux. and ill admit, most ppl like playing outside on that map, the snow rocks.

For the top two levels, there is a difference between difficult and fun. I don't mind the challenge the map presents as one of the few maps that has that kind of layout, but for reaching a wider audience and keeping player playing your maps (or at least accessing that part of the level) you want to make it appealing to the eye and easy to follow. The hard fix would be retooling your level, which I know is not going to happen (at least not soon). The easy fix it to include identifiable objects (think biotics lab or so).

there are 2 reasons why someone would be in that part of the map:

1. they are insane and like a really tough battle.
2. they just completed the wave and are walking thru there to get to the trader.

most ppl quickly realize its a deathtrap. and it has that, "WAKE UP OR YOURE GOING TO DIE!" effect dont you think?

Upvote 0
@THEDDLE:
My computer has 3.0 dual core and ati 3570. It can easily handle current gen games. I was only reporting what the internal fps function in KF was reporting.

Copy. Not really getting 200 FPS. Bug in KF. I have a 4.0375 dual core with dual 260's with 8 gigs or ram. So I can understand. Bug in KF. I use fraps.
Time to upgrade also. Tired of having this low end machine.

Upvote 0