• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fan vid to become official killing floor trailer

Is everyone so **** here? lol

The video isn't supposed to impress you with my amazing beginner skills, nor is it to show off the fascinating co-op elements.

It's simply to show slo-mo death and gore with the multitude of weapons provided by killing floor.

Of course, you don't care because you've obviously seen these deaths plenty of times, but the fact is, not everyone has. So this is like "gore soup" for people who haven't seen this game yet. I guess it was pointless to post it here, since so far my comments have been less than favorable due to sheer elitism.

Seriously, you really think I would want to impress veteran players with noob footage? God no, I'm not a bloody idiot! Besides, you can't look at it simply as noob footage, you have to change your perspective to someone who's never seen this game before and take in the beauty of the slo-mo gore this game provides.

Upvote 0
God, these moderator approved messages take forever....

You can't look at this video from a veteran perspective, it's obvious that it isn't interesting. You've seen these deaths too many times. What you're missing is that not everyone has seen this game and if you watched this vid before you even played the game, I'm sure you'd like it.

It's not to impress you with my godly beginner skills, of course not. You're just being elitist and it's fairly sad that you don't get the point of the video. The point is to show off the awesome slo-mo gore and death this game provides with it's multitude of weapons (backed by a beautiful song). By the way, pulchritudinous means beautiful.

If you still don't get it, then I feel bad for you.

Upvote 0
So is any criticism going to result in the dreaded "epic fail"? Maybe they're not elitist, maybe it's just not a very good video?

Here's why: The topic suggests (perhaps humourously) that it should become an official trailer. It would not make a very good trailer, since it's doesn't address much of the game other than gibbing zeds, and there's lots of games with monsters and gibbing. A lot of the draw, for many of us, is the co-op action, teaming up with people and fighting off waves of stuff that would normally kill us, tear bits off us, and smear us all over the metal plates inexplicably bolted across their mouths.

How to improve it? Don't try to sell it as a trailer, sell it as "Look, a bunch of zombie gore explosions!" also, it would help if it was edited a bit more. Sync up the action to the music, so what's happening on screen corresponds to the highs and lows of the song. Maybe skip Ave Maria for something that evokes the same feeling, but isn't so horribly overused. (Unless overused is what you're going for? With the "boom headshot" thing. Maybe this is just a troll and I'm too dumb to ignore it?) Edit out the parts that aren't cool or epic or whatever, like standing there reloading while some zombies swat at your face. Stitch it together so the player (= viewer) is a total badass that's effortlessly wading through knee-deep blood as he executes those he finds disfavour with.

And not taking it quite so personally could help.

Upvote 0
Some suggestions to make a better video-

-Show more than one environment. You filmed all that in Bioticslab.
-Show the co-op aspect by playing with others
-Show some real action....like the video above
-Z.E.D time is good but it shouldn't be the one thing that sells the video
-Don't leave the viewer staring at nothing for 10 secs...you do that right at the start of the video so you can sync the action and the music.
-Consider 'movie' shots like the ones shown in the official TWI trailer. It creates tension and a sense of story.
-Play on a higher difficulty level. You are the editor. You can cherry pick your Z.E.D time moments, so you don't need to play on normal. Besides, headshotting Scrakes with dual 9s is kind of sad to watch.
-Pick some different music. That's just my personal preference. The piece you chose is cute when paired with the Z.E.D time...but compare how metal your video feels to the one posted below it. The second one has energy and intensity with the slow creepy build up. Your choice makes me want to take a nap.
-Titles, supers, some kind of text to break up the monotony or just to get across an idea.

B+ for effort. C for content. You clearly know your way around video creation....now focus on content. It's like you recorded the only game you played and edited up only that footage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0