• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Really hope this game sells at full price

If the game gets good reviews, it will sell. It's as simple as that. Get your game reviewed in big publications, especially Game Informer, IGN, and Gamespot, and I think you'll be just fine.

Actually this isn't always the case. I was reading somewhere, maybe IGN or 1up.com that games that do get high scores aren't always top sellers, for various reasons. But I do think of course a lot of good reviews would be better than bad ones!

Also I kind of agree with the OP, when I see el cheapo games, I think, well el cheapo game unless I'm already familiar with the franchise, developers or have read up about the game. Unfortunately a lot of people wont be too familiar with Tripwire. I reckon they should have an awesome pre-order price, a first week special maybe, with trumpets blowing and sheet on steam, and then the regular price (maybe a little cheaper than most "big games").
Haha I don't think I'd be able to wait for any price drops if there is no pre-order special price I'll probably be buying it early anyways! I can't even wait as it is!

Upvote 0
I think that when I say that charging more is appropriate, it is meant as a compliment.

Thinking on this, I am sure you will get some people take a chance and buy the game if it is at a lower price. They just might not have the money to spend on a higher priced game. On the other hand, I am sure some people will ignore it for fear it is a budget title, prefering to save their money to buy something they "think" they want.

Perhaps a moderately priced game with a nice preorder sale price :)

Upvote 0
IMO, someone who doesn't buy a game because is cheap is the typical narrow minded CoD player that wont accept things like "no-crosshairs", then youll have thousands of idiots screaming how much the game sux on tinternets

I'll buy this game anyway, but I hope its price is not higher than 30€

Upvote 0
Well fortunately or unfortunately, TWI is targeting a larger audience than people who have been playing RO for years. So I'm pretty sure we're biased to buying this game and biased towards paying more (not everyone, just more than the general gaming population).

I suppose it all comes down to marketing. If TWI can get enough buzz so the general gaming audience knows about the game, they can charge higher. If not, they'll have to go for the discount price as they did with ROO. ROO was with an older game engine when it came out. Depending on the release date, ROHOS might go out with a current engine, or a slightly dated engine (and hence graphics). That could also affect the price.

Upvote 0
I agree with the OP. Charge as much as you can get away with. When I see games at Best Buy for $20 or $30 I immediately assume one of two things: they are knockoff products stealing ideas from other, better games, or they're old and have been out long enough to get a price reduction. In either case, I have little respect for the product.

The lowest I'd say they should start would be $39.99. That's what DCS:Black Shark sells for and it's another highly realistic, semi-niche product.

And for those who think people aren't willing to fork out money for a game, take a look at the Xbox 360 version of CoD:WaW. That clocks in at $60 for the game itself and $10 for each of the 3 map packs, for a total of $90. In comparison, HOS at $45 would be an outright bargain at half the price.

Upvote 0
*heavily sobbing, tears falling into his bowl of soup*

what planet is this? how did I get here?

I think the OP has a point. A lot of people, myself included, are reluctant to buy cheaper games because we assume there low quality. I don't know if anyone has been to the store lately but there are a million generic fps games priced at 20$ in the reject section. I think RO should be playing with the big boys (ugh).

That's just how it works.

Upvote 0
Dont get me wrong, I would happily pay full price for Hos because I know the quality of the game Tripwire is making will be worth that price.

...but I would never, ever, in a million years presume to judge the quality of any product or service based on the price the company is trying to sell it to me for. Never. There is just too much over-priced junk out there and quite a few gems for relatively less. Regardless if they've been on the market for a while and have had the price reduced.

WP said:
take a look at the Xbox 360 version of CoD:WaW. That clocks in at $60 for the game itself and $10 for each of the 3 map packs, for a total of $90.

This exact thing happens when you validate that business model by spending your money on it and in turn make it a viable option for the company to do such ridiculous things. Simply put, they get away with it because you tell them its okay by spending your money on it. I cant believe my eyes when I see someone posting 'Hey, please break your game down into episodes and/or release a lesser game and charge me at intervals for the rest of it (DLC)'. Companies will adjust how they do things based on how you spend your money. If they only made money when they came out with a high quality, memorable experience in one game from the start without DLC or episodes, but never made money when they broke it down into pieces, then all you'd see sold are high quality memorable experiences all at one price.

Anyway, the idea that if a game isnt $50-$60 dollars then it isnt worth your time.. that if its priced low it isnt worth your attention or respect, is such sad commentary to read. Assuming something is of low quality and not worth your time based on its price, in a way says there isnt much research into the game itself on your part to begin with, and you're more than willing to buy the latest shiny box simply because its new and expensive. Wierd stuff.

You know that advertising costs are a huge reason most of these games cost so much right? Television commercials, banner ads on every gaming website in existence, a fancy booth at every expo, a snazzy website.. the cost doesnt mean the game is actually good.

...and believe me, theres no reason to think TWI is eating noodle cups three meals a day either. Just a couple of weeks ago KF was still in the top 5 of sales on Steam. Hos will be a big success too, trust me.

Upvote 0
With the big amounts of crap being offered these days. People do look at things beyond the pricepoint and pick the game they like most. But they use some quick things to decide what games not to look at, and pricepoint is one of them.

I mean anybody in here will buy rohos i would maybe even be insane enough to lay down 150 euros or whatever for it. Its more the way john doe views the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know, it's a shame.. John Doe should exercise some self control and do some research. He's probably missed out on something he would have enjoyed for a more reasonable price.. instead of being a lemming and disregarding anything that isnt full priced and brand new.

Also, I have to ask this.. because a game was originally full priced (meaning it HAS to be great), does it lose its greatness after its been on the shelf long enough to have a price reduction? I think not.

Spend wisely my friends! You may just influence companies in a way that benefits you in the long run!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually this isn't always the case. I was reading somewhere, maybe IGN or 1up.com that games that do get high scores aren't always top sellers, for various reasons. But I do think of course a lot of good reviews would be better than bad ones!

Perhaps if TWI packages various meats with their various review copies sent to various publications they will get better review scores.

And perhaps if TWI packages various cheeses with their various collectors editions they will experience better sales. :p

Review scores definitely correlate strongly with strong sales, although there are always exceptions to the rule (Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts).

Also I kind of agree with the OP, when I see el cheapo games, I think, well el cheapo game unless I'm already familiar with the franchise, developers or have read up about the game. Unfortunately a lot of people wont be too familiar with Tripwire. I reckon they should have an awesome pre-order price, a first week special maybe, with trumpets blowing and sheet on steam, and then the regular price (maybe a little cheaper than most "big games").
Haha I don't think I'd be able to wait for any price drops if there is no pre-order special price I'll probably be buying it early anyways! I can't even wait as it is!

Steam has pre-order specials on a LOT of games. Steam is a FANTASTIC platform for marketing and distribution. They have sales on big games, free weekends (which was what got me into Red Orchestra), and free advertising.

Even big games like Resident Evil 5: [url]http://store.steampowered.com/news/2817/[/URL]
and Street Fighter IV

Also, when I watched Red Orchestra HoS demo videos (off-cam, too) on Gametrailers, a surprising number of people were positive despite the crappy footage because they had played the first game and decided it was very good.

Granted, it's not a very big industry-wide thing, but I think it has a niche.

Upvote 0
I think Valve stated that everytime they made tf2 cheaper they had a large spike in sales, the bigger the price cut the more sales. I have been thinking that there is a certain amount of money a game will make, might as well give it a competitive price and get as many people playing. To be honest I don't think any game on Steam should sell for more the $35. If it sold for $30 on preorder I would buy 2 copies just so I could get friends to play.

Upvote 0
Zets said:
But i want a big as possible community, and im actually willing to pay a bit more for that.

hrmm, so a more expensive game = a bigger community.

I'm back to wondering what planet I'm on :confused:

PLANET DELUSIONAL CONSUMER and its moons, Purchasing Power Wasted, and Born To Buy!

I think Enders post nicely illustrates the 'more flies with honey' concept. As the consumer, you should be trying to tip the scales in that direction - not the other way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0