• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Newbie Mapmaking tutorials

You don't need anything KF specific yet.
Read regular UnrealEngine 2 tutorials (most are probably for UT2004, but it works the same in KF).

The KF specific things like zombie-spawns, traders, etc. are explained in the mapping guide that came with the game (Steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/Mapping Guide) and you can take a look at how it's done in the map TraderExample (in the same folder).

Click my signature for a collection of Tutorials, most of which are targeted at newbies. The mapping guide has links to more tutorial websites as well.

For everything else, consult the forum here. Someone will help you out.

Also: Thanks for deciding to make maps for us.:)

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

Your best bet is to do like you are now. Ask questions and experiment with the sdk. Learn the basics and every map you will teach yourself something new. That is how I did it. 99% was teaching myself by trial and error for the basic. I would also go into an official map and dissect it. For example I learned how to doors by opening the advanced properties of the trigger and the door. Take a screen shot then paste it to paintshop. I would then get rid of the back ground and just have the advanced properties. I would print that up as a reference. Go into my map look at the difference between the 2 settings. Change the stock one and try it out. I did this for a lot of things. This is how I figured out most of my special actors and so on. I also did the below for someone else earlier for doors.

The very first thing that got me started was a You-Tube Video. Pointed me in the right direction. Real good for learning basics.

YouTube - Killing Floor - Simple Map Making.

DOORS

1st find the static mesh you want to use as the door under static meshes.

2nd click on that door or what ever you are wanting to do.

3rd in your sdk you have a little blue box with 4 black arrows coming out on it. Right click on it and you get different movers. You want KFDoormover for regular door. Click on that.

4th After you click on it the static mesh you had highlighted will be added to your map as a KFdoormover. Pink. It will be put in place around your red brush box or what ever shape you selected.

5th. Grab the pink door put it into place where you want it. Resize it in display options to fit your door opening you already made.

Now you have your door in place.

6th You hightlight the door again. Right click. About 3rd down is mover. Set your mover to 1 in the closed postiton. Now pivot your door to where you want it to open to. Right click again and set the mover to 0 base. This should make the door close again. So your door is set.

7th Go into actors. Little pawn chess piece on top. Go down to triggers. Expand it. Click on KFusetrigger and place it in your door way. This will be your trigger.

8th Open the KFusetrigger actor properties. Click on events. Under event name it. Like Door 1. This will be your event for the door.

While in there you can go down to Use Trigger. Enter what your message you want them to see when using.

Under collision you can change the radius you want it to take to open it. So like a big door you might want it to be bigger. Instead of 85 maybe 125. To figure out your radius I use the cylinder brush. Set the radius to it and place around where the middle of the door is on your trigger. This will give you an idea of where people have to be to use it.

Under KFusetrigger there is max weld. Usually 600. You want it to be harder to weld up the number. Easier lower it.

This is your basics on the trigger.

9th Now go into properties of your door.

Under Events you want to name the tag the same as the event of the trigger so door 1. Now they are active with eachother.

Another thing you can do to make it harder on people. Go into KF door mover under proerties. The Zombie Damage Reduction Factor is usually at .85. You raise the number and they do more damage. Lower it they do less. I had people complaining it was to easy to hold certain rooms. So I made them harder to weld and the zombie could do more damage.

You can also go into Start sealed. Select true. Go down some and select the start weld. 50 by default I think. Doing this will let the door be prewelded by the number. Someone started a door sealed to 100percent and made the trigger weld very high so it was very hard to unweld. It took 3 people inbetween waves and about 3 waves. Behind it was cash, ammo, and weapons.

10th One last option you can do. Go back into properties under the door. Go to Display. Go to skins. Add a skin. Then you can change the look of the door with another texture. Make the door a different color or whatever.

I have taken the stock door with the door knob. Exported it to my photoshop with a special plug in. Then erased everything except the handle and hinges. I then have a blank template. Make my own designs and fill it in. I have also taken the same template and replace with other door knobs and hinges. This way it lines up perfect with the door knob static mesh.

This reskin works with all static meshes. It just takes some time and patients to make it look right. The more complicated like a car or chopper the more work. I use the stock ones as templates to reskin. Like I did my Soda Machine.

Some more info. Above is the same for trader door. You just use the trader door mover instead of regular door. The event and tag would be the same other instead of trigger you are aligning the shop and the trader door under events.

So under shop properties events set event to Shop 1. Under the door properties KFDoortrader set Tag to shop 1. Every door, trigger, and shop will need a different name.

I remember one more thing. By copy pasting from other maps it will open the direction that it was set in that map. This may cause it to open odd for you. So if you copy paste make sure to know what direction it opens. To find out just highlight the door and right click go to mover and hit one. It will open to the Zero position. Then just right click again and hit the mover Zero Base and it will go back to the One position. You can change them a little if it is about the same area. However I have had some crazy swinging doors. Just easier to delete it and make a new one if that happens.

Hopes this helps a little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i learned everything i needed on sandcrawlers tutorials and awesome people answering my nooby questions too :D, its not a fast process to learn. be careful with unrealwiki, it shows alot of shiz that KF simply does not support :(

also, check out my sig :D, if your willing to learn i can gauruntee at least i will be there to help you out when im not busy :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0