• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Commando Tips

Cool, i didn't know that. With what weapon? I'm assuming Xbow headshot?
Or Lever Action Rifle headshots in the hands of sharpshooter.

Xbow kill Sirens with a single shot for any perk though (on open maps i often run my berserker with Katana+Crossbow for early waves). Xbow have the advantage that it kill sirens (and clots) with one bolt even if they are hiding behind other zombies (they often do).

Sharpshooters should probably use Lever Action Rifle + Handcannon(s) for early waves and single 9mm + dual Handcannons + Crossbow for later waves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sharpshooters should probably use Lever Action Rifle + Handcannon(s) for early waves and single 9mm + dual Handcannons + Crossbow for later waves.

i dont really bother with the LAR anymore.

after 2 rounds, I should have enough for the Xbow, and as long as i can make 100 a round (almost impossible not to) I will always have a full Xbow for the next round

9mm more then enough for the first ouple of waves, especially for sharpie

Upvote 0
i dont really bother with the LAR anymore.

after 2 rounds, I should have enough for the Xbow, and as long as i can make 100 a round (almost impossible not to) I will always have a full Xbow for the next round

9mm more then enough for the first ouple of waves, especially for sharpie
I actually find LAR more effective (as level 5 on six player hard) even if i have the money for crossbow - as it have a higher rate of fire, fast reload that can be interrupted, one shot kill clots (and crawlers and stalkers - 9mm don't) with a body shot and one shot kill sirens (and bloats - 9mm "only" decap bloats) with a headshot. I need 3 to kill a gorefast if i miss the head, but then again they don't die from a single xbow bolt to the body anyway (and LAR stun them at range - 9mm don't).

...until scrakes and fleshpounds show up that is. At that point xbow is king and i use 9mm instead of LAR as my primary weapon.

Not saying using Crossbow early is wrong, there are times where it outshine the Lever Action Rifle even on early waves - such as taking out sirens that hide behind other zombies, if you kite all zombies in a line-up behind you or dig in and have a long corridor of zombies to shoot at - but using it on single crawlers and clots make me a sad panda (for some reason I've seen many sharpies use it this way on early waves lately).

(...and if it were not for the fact you can abuse the resell value and buy a new crossbow for a total of

Upvote 0
Cool, i didn't know that. With what weapon? I'm assuming Xbow headshot?

Yes with a Crossbow headshot, though the headshot hitbox isn't on their actual head, if you look at the second page of the "Guide to headshots with pictures" thread you'll see the proper spot to shoot.

I find myself agreeing with you every time you post something about the sharpshooter xP

Upvote 0
Can't have all three.

Best setups are probably

Bullpup+AK47
Bullpup(or maybe AK47)+Katana+Handcannon(s)
Bullpup(or maybe AK47)+Chainsaw

AK47 reload slower. And more often. And have less ammo.

Sorry, should've said 'or' in that post really, bit misleading.

I've generally been going the AK/Katana/Dualies route, unless i had a reliable Zerker around when i'd just go AK/Bullpup. The Bullpup is a great precision weapon, but when you've got a corridor of specimens with dodgy headshot hitboxes, the all out damage approach feels safer. Besides, you can always switch to your alt weapons when the AK runs out of ammo, just aslong as you didn't begin reloading.

I'm really not a fan of the LER. I've been playing Hard 6man alot recently and the time it takes to reload the LER is what kills it for me. The 9mm is a hugely underated weapon and i've been frequently topping the killboard using that for 90%+ of my kills. 2 shots kill a Crawler, Clots are very easily decapped, Gorefasts, if you hit the head, die in 1 shot, hell thanks to its incredibly low recoil you can use it to snipe Sirens. Then if it hits the fan i've always got room to step back and bring out the Dual Handcannons and shower the corridor(or FP/Scrake) in bullets or put a Crossbow bolt through as many things as possible, stunning the Gorefasts for an easy 9mm kill.
I just don't see how the LER fits in tbh. Sure its got some good headshot damage, but it doesn't substitute the emergency Crossbow bolt and if the horde doesn't let up you'll run out of ammo with no room to reload it.

Upvote 0
Sorry, should've said 'or' in that post really, bit misleading.

I've generally been going the AK/Katana/Dualies route, unless i had a reliable Zerker around when i'd just go AK/Bullpup. The Bullpup is a great precision weapon, but when you've got a corridor of specimens with dodgy headshot hitboxes, the all out damage approach feels safer. Besides, you can always switch to your alt weapons when the AK runs out of ammo, just aslong as you didn't begin reloading.

I'm really not a fan of the LER. I've been playing Hard 6man alot recently and the time it takes to reload the LER is what kills it for me. The 9mm is a hugely underated weapon and i've been frequently topping the killboard using that for 90%+ of my kills. 2 shots kill a Crawler, Clots are very easily decapped, Gorefasts, if you hit the head, die in 1 shot, hell thanks to its incredibly low recoil you can use it to snipe Sirens. Then if it hits the fan i've always got room to step back and bring out the Dual Handcannons and shower the corridor(or FP/Scrake) in bullets or put a Crossbow bolt through as many things as possible, stunning the Gorefasts for an easy 9mm kill.
I just don't see how the LER fits in tbh. Sure its got some good headshot damage, but it doesn't substitute the emergency Crossbow bolt and if the horde doesn't let up you'll run out of ammo with no room to reload it.

The Lever Action really needs some love. Pea-shooter damage, slow reload, and a terribly small amount of ammo makes it an iffy weapon for even Sharpshooters! Dual Handcannons outshine them in every way. However, for my "Ranger" Sweeper Sharpshooter build, it works out well enough:

-Dual 9mms (Alternatively: Katana)
-Dual Handcannons
-Lever Action Rifle

Basically, you just sweep the level clean of any and all small threats. Clots, Crawlers, Stalkers, and even Gorefasts fall quick to this. If you're getting "Rushed" too much, use an alternate setup and drop the second 9mm for a Katana, allowing you to hold your own up close while also allowing for precise, headshotting 9mm shots.

On this subject...does the "Increased headshot damage" of the Sharpshooter apply to Melee weapons? Slicing a Skrake's head with a Katana for +50% damage would be crazy...

Upvote 0
Couldn't you achieve better results using a Commando? Bullpup is easily accurate enough, especially with semi-auto fire, to provide a reliable headshot rate with a large clip. And if you need to, swap to the AK47 and tear through them, at the same time allowing them to assist with Fleshpounds/Scrakes if necessary.

I just don't see the Sharpshooter as a great perk unless your taking the Crossbow for its insane headshot damage. When it comes to clearing out weak foes (Clot, Stalker, Crawler, Bloat, Gorefast and Siren) the Commando is easily superior to your Sweeper build i'd say. You get the Stalker reveal range which can help in some maps, you get the health bars which can also help in some maps. Crawlers are a waste of time attempting to headshot and Clots+Bloats are easy to do so. The only problem is Gorefasts with the dodgy hitbox. Yes the LER will stun, unlike the 9mm, but the Crossbow will stun a line of them, not just the first 1, whereas the AK/Bullpup would just tear through them. Sirens are potentially the only real bright spot for the LER but its not much of a problem for the Commando either, and its certainly not worth losing the Crossbow for.

Hmm its a thought, it would give you higher damage to let you stun them more easily. But then it comes back to... why not just 1 shot it with a Crossbow?

Upvote 0
Couldn't you achieve better results using a Commando? Bullpup is easily accurate enough, especially with semi-auto fire, to provide a reliable headshot rate with a large clip. And if you need to, swap to the AK47 and tear through them, at the same time allowing them to assist with Fleshpounds/Scrakes if necessary.

I just don't see the Sharpshooter as a great perk unless your taking the Crossbow for its insane headshot damage. When it comes to clearing out weak foes (Clot, Stalker, Crawler, Bloat, Gorefast and Siren) the Commando is easily superior to your Sweeper build i'd say. You get the Stalker reveal range which can help in some maps, you get the health bars which can also help in some maps. Crawlers are a waste of time attempting to headshot and Clots+Bloats are easy to do so. The only problem is Gorefasts with the dodgy hitbox. Yes the LER will stun, unlike the 9mm, but the Crossbow will stun a line of them, not just the first 1, whereas the AK/Bullpup would just tear through them. Sirens are potentially the only real bright spot for the LER but its not much of a problem for the Commando either, and its certainly not worth losing the Crossbow for.

Hmm its a thought, it would give you higher damage to let you stun them more easily. But then it comes back to... why not just 1 shot it with a Crossbow?

Because quite frankly the crossbow's damage is wasted until wave 6 when scrakes start showing up. Yes, the Commando is the most effective sweeper, but that doesn't mean that a sharpshooter with a LAR (there's no "E", it's the Lever Action Rifle) is ineffective, he's still certainly carrying his weight at the low waves. Some people, such as myself, would rather play sharpshooter than commando and as such using the LAR on the earlier waves and buying a crossbow later is better than using the crossbow the whole time.

Upvote 0
Good point, why the hell do i keep saying LER.

The headshot damage is indeed wasted till Scrakes turn up, but its penetration isn't. There comes a time when putting a bolt at ankle level can tear through the Crawlers/Stalkers/Clots and stun the Gorefasts in a long line. My issue isn't Commando > Sharpshooter on early waves, its just the fact the LAR doesn't have the potential of the Crossbow even then. Ok it packs more punch in a single shot than the 9mm which makes it good for Sirens and for general 1 shotting, but the 9mm gets pretty similar results and doesn't lose you your ultimate weapon.

Upvote 0
There's something to be said for the "Badass Factor" of dual pistols vs Bullpup, too. And all-in-all, a Sharpshooter with the right setup can sweep just as well as a Commando if they use headshots. Especially vs Gorefasts and such that really need a headshot to be dropped quickly and without wasting ammo...

Upvote 0
I've gone back the LAR recently, and it is an incredible weapon once you get above lev 3 with sharpie. The recoil is negligible, the reload time is actually very fast (I can keep the long hallway on Biotics Lab or the long run on Prison clear with it up to wave 5) It fires much faster than you probably think as well.

My other reason for liking it so much now is that you can run an LAR with duel Handcannons and a katana. That way you can take on anything on the map, even if you get overrun in a defensive situation. If I do take the xbow in later waves, (and I still do most of the time) then I drop the handcannons, but keep the katana.

I just don't seem to get nearly the same results with Commando, and teams I play with seem to do better with more sharpies than with the Commandos. High level commandos are hard to beat, but very rare these days still.

Upvote 0
does the "Increased headshot damage" of the Sharpshooter apply to Melee weapons? Slicing a Skrake's head with a Katana for +50% damage would be crazy...
Yes.

Sharpshooters deal +0% base damage on "body shots" and up to +65% of the base damage on "headshots" using any weapon that have a +10% headshot bonus (including melee weapons).

However, berserkers deal up to +100% base damage on "body shots" and +120% base damage on "headshots" using a melee weapon. They also hit up to 20% faster. Now that is "crazy" :D

Upvote 0
There's something to be said for the "Badass Factor" of dual pistols vs Bullpup, too. And all-in-all, a Sharpshooter with the right setup can sweep just as well as a Commando if they use headshots. Especially vs Gorefasts and such that really need a headshot to be dropped quickly and without wasting ammo...
True that sharpshooter with your setup will sweep [almost] as good as a commando and a commando with bullpup [and AK47?] can sweep [almost] as good as a firebug.

As level 5 sharpshooter on hard you can also stun scrakes using your handcannons at melee range and your dual 9mm fire as fast as you can click, making them excellent at melee decapitate fleshpounds (simular to a bullpup commando). LAR+pistols are not a bad combo at all - even on later waves.

However, Sharpshooters can one-shot scraks at range and three-shot fleshpounds if they use a crossbow. This is something commando and firebugs can not do and often something most teams have problems with. That is why i prefer crossbow over lever action rifle on later waves (but both are viable - just two different play styles. the LAR combo focus more on mopping up the swarm of zombies and the crossbow combo focus more on big game hunting)

Upvote 0
The problem with the LAR is, for headshots its worthless. The only real enemy its worth headshotting with the LAR is the Siren because it tends to 1 hit kill it (but so does the Crossbow, along with having a proper scope to make it easier to aim).

I have given the LAR a play around on the earlier waves and (at least on Hard) its great for spam-1shotting Clots, Crawlers and Stalkers regardless of where you hit. But thats it. Gorefasts survive easily and the head is tricky to hit so your stuck wasting your already very limited ammo supply on them. It just doesn't have to flexibility of the 9mm, because its ammo is so limited.

Upvote 0
The SCAR kills all. As a level 4 commando I can 1 shot crawlers, and 1 headshot completely kills gorefasts and clots. Also a bodyshot to gorefasts makes then "recoil" like when hit with a crossbow. Scrakes also die fairly quickly (even quicker than the AK). This is the only weapon I use semi automatic fire, because 1 bullet deals so much damage. Also, since it deals more damage per bullet it takes longer to piss off the fleshpound. The bullpup is still the best FP decapitation method for the commando.

The high cost is a problem, but you should be able to buy one by the fifth round or so, if you did not die. It is still better to give money to those who need it for the basic weapons.

I usually go with AK/SCAR as my final loudout. If you're really worried about scrakes, grab a katana instead of the AK. Or, if you've got balls, drop the AK for extra mobility.

SCAR kills all.

On a side note, I noticed some people save their money to get the ultra weapons (the SCAR and that new shotgun). I do not suggest doing this, at least not for the SCAR. With a trusty bullpup/ak combo you will almost make up all the money you save by not buying weapons through kills and of course it is much much safer. I would like to know what other players think of saving up money for the ultra weapons.

Also, the SCAR looks sexy.

Upvote 0