• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

This sounds crazy, but, KF vs CoD:MW

Bio666

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
Alright, guys, KF and CoD:MW are two of my favorite games. I love KF because of its co-op aspect, while CoD playing versus is great.
Now, I know this sounds silly, that CoD is way more expensive than KF, that ...etc, but there's something CoD offers that I feel missing in KF. The thing is that, I cant say what is it. Of course, it's not the arsenal or something like that(of that I can be sure). Something in the gameplay, I think.

Anyone who own both of these great titles, could you jolt down a quick comparison between them?

Anyone who own both of these great titles, could you jolt down a quick comparison between them?

COD: MW

- Lots and lots of guns to choose from that suits many different playstyles. Some guns turn out to be far more useful than others, which can make the lesser guns be considered wasted space.

- Perk system allows you to mix and match perks to suit your playstyle. This can be good, however there are many "noob" combos that are incredibly annoying (such as Martyrdom or Juggernaut + anything). Overall positive, but some perks ruin multiplayer.

- Has a PVP aspect to it, which is usually quite fun in almost any game.

- Servers tend to be overcrowded, having too many players to effectively play a team deathmatch or a regular deathmatch due to spawn camping and grenade spamming.

- Scrimming can be a fun way to alleviate the pub servers, but the community for scrimming tends to suck. At least, most of the people I've talked with and scrimmed with are pretty rude and talk like this guy when they lose/win: YouTube - Street Fighter 4 HD - Gouken MADNESS pt25

- Very graphically appealing. Visuals are highly impressive.

Killing Floor

- Also has lots and lots of guns to choose from. Most guns fill their respective roles quite well, although currently I find melee weapons don't really have much of a niche between them.

- The perk system is a bit more limited in that you only benefit from certain weapons among other bonuses that you can't mix or match. This tends to balance out multiplayer at the expense of customizability. Can be seen as a double edged sword.

- The official team size limit is 6. This prevents overcrowding and highly encourages people to work together as a team to win.

- Completely Co-Op. There is a vs. mod that BlackCheetah released, which I've yet to try but want to very badly. The players must work together to fight a swarm of AI zombies in order to survive.

- Runs on an older graphics engine, but looks very polished considering it's running on a game engine thats over 5 years old.

- Various character models to choose from, moreso if you downloaded the character pack for 2 bucks. CoD does not have the option to pick what you look like other than based on what weapon you choose.

Overall

Both are fun games, but I tend to have more fun playing KF pub servers because I'm not too fond of spawning and taking one to two steps forward into a claymore/grenade, or having someone camping a spawn point with their crosshair firmly aimed at the head.

Upvote 0
Hmmmmm.... I tend to have my blood pumping a little more when I play Cod4. The sheer intensity of the game is just mind blowing. Knowing that there is another person at their computer yelling cursing because he/she was killed.

There is are a lot of different game types in Cod4: Sabotage(my personal fav) Team deathmatch, domination...etc..

It seems that right from the get go there is no "down time" in Cod4, your instantly thrown into the Chaos

In KF, I don't get the same thrill, simply because its a different game, but I do get the same level of enjoyment out of it.

Team work in KF is a must in order to succeed(at least on the harder difficulties) There more of a balancing act in KF, to many of of class does work but would be better off if there was a different class amoung the group. Example: 6 Zerkers with katanas is awesome, but sirens and crawlers could easily pick them apart if they were not cautious.

There is more planning needed, which means there are downtimes, (first waves, trader time)

I get the "good job team we finished this project" feeling when I play killing floor.

Maybe killing floor needs more game types, maybe a protect the hill or building, transfer a bomb to a facilitiy, a rescue the hostage type.... I don't know your thoughts

Upvote 0
This is going to be a weird comparison, but I'm willing to put my two cents in:

To me, both games are like playing a game of chess, as both games require thought and aptitude given rather 'stressful' situations. You have to be able to act under pressure, keep your cool, and formulate a defensive/offensive to effectively counter your opponent.

However, while both games are similar to playing a game of chess, I would venture that CoD:MW is the equivalent of playing chess against another human being, while KF is like playing against a computer.

Why?

It strictly comes down to the driving force of the opposing team. In CoD, you are fighting a large swarm of human controlled characters. This offers the dynamic of human error/ingenuity and provides a much more compelling conflict. Moments such as, "What the hell is this guy going to do next?" arise, as suddenly you have to make instinctual counter-judgments based on your opponent's strategy.

In KF, you are simply blasting away at AI-driven drones. They have no strategy, and they simply move in a "Point A to Point B" fashion, reacting purely upon YOUR movement. On top of this, because your character wields a projectile based weapon (in stark contrast to the specimen, which have no projectile attacks whatsoever) it becomes quite apparent that keeping your distance/kiting is a blatant advantage. In other words, unless you are gaming in a confined level, on hard/suicidal (where the specimen's health grows to astronomical proportion) it becomes painfully obvious that you are taking part in a very one-sided fight.

Despite all that, I've consistently found KF more 'fun' than CoD:MW from this very simple point:

When I play video games, I'd like to relax and feel good.

CoD:MW is too hectic an experience for me in that aspect. Don't get me wrong, I love that game to pieces... But when it comes down to it, I can only play it for a couple of rounds before I start to feel mentally exhausted. I get the same feeling from games like UT3 and Counter-strike. Couple that sensation with the infinite amount of text-spammers/mic-ragers, and I've had enough.

KF lets me start up a simple game and enjoy fragging hundreds of specimen without any pressure. It's co-op, so if the team gets slaughtered, it's everyone's fault equally. I can choose how I want to play, because I can either camp and wait for the specimen to come to me, or I can run around and bring the pain to the specimen.

I don't know, just the way I feel about each title.

Upvote 0
Simple, more horror less survival.

I would love to see the day when Crawlers and Stalkers master the ability to crawl on all surfaces.

Maybe one day Scarkes will learn to run from the start line if they ever want to reach the finish.

Frankly Flesh Pounds have too many weaknesses, I mean you have:

Extra damage taken from explosives.
No bdurable coding for their brittle little skulls.
Probably the worst tunnel vision you've ever seen.

I mean what would be so bad about having to bring them down to 50% before you can decapitate them.

Not to mention more progression, everyone would love to see more unique abilities to their perk. (Except for commando lolololol lvl 6...)

Upvote 0
Modern Warfare was the one CoD game I didn't like. There's something distinctly awesome about being in WWII. As cheesy as it may sound, it does feel as though you're playing through history in a sense and that feeling made it great fun for me. When things turned fictional with CoD4, I felt my gaming experience being raped before my very eyes. But that's only my opinion, I can see reasons why people enjoy it, but they're not reasons that I tend to pick my games over. In conclusion, I'd say KF is better than CoD4 already, though It's a biased opinion. I don't, by any means, hate all CoD games though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I own both games and I pretty much go with the commens above. Both are great games if u have the right mood at the time u play them.

Cod is awesome game, lots of sh1t going around, explosions and shooting. But after all, you just end up playing alone (soloing) against martyr+tubers. I quit the game everytime I see some of these.. They are one of the bad things in the game. They don't even require skill, I mean you drop grenade when you die? And tuber? .. yea.. Let's just move on to KF..

KF is also an awesome game (a bit better than Cod4 IN MY OPINION). It's so much fun to teamwork through the waves till the last wave to equip urself with big guns. Idk. It might be very simple, but there is something that makes it fun and not quitting before the map is over. (except if there are griefers or just some annoying kids soloing and spamming mic etc.)

Maybe it's the teamwork that makes KF better for me. Looking forward to see more updates and stuff on KF :) Like story modes (already have Kickers awesome Hive map) or objective based game modes etc. And Blackcheetas versus mode is fun :D Even though there are still lots of bugs, but hey, he/(she?) released it just 2 days ago :)

EDIT: Oh, btw. Why did you chose to compare CoD4 to KF? They are whole different games. I thought it would be more like "KF vs L4D" or "KF vs Resident evil" etc. well, they are same kinda game. comparing CoD4 to KF sounds just completely random. Just like comparing KF to super mario bros 3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What about COD WaW Nazi zombies vs. Killing Floor?

I've started playing the 4rth(newest) zombie map,(I think its called Der Riese) and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised on how fun it is. The Dialog in it is just plane funny. You got an American, a drunk Soviet, a Japanese soilder, and a Nazi teaming up against a bunch a zombies. So far my favorite quote comes from the russian, when he picks up a double barrel "This looks like the same weapon I used to kill my first wife!!"

The patch isn't out for PC but is on the PS3 and 360 consoles.

Playing that made realize what I really wanted in KF, different voice overs, and at least a small amount of money rewarded when ever you shoot a ZED, like in Nazi Zombies. It could be something as little as a pound a landed shot, or 1/4 pound a landed shot. Or maybe have same amount rewared when you heal someone, I don't, I 'm just rambleing now.......RABLE RABLE RABLE RABLE!!!!!!

BTW I still play Killing Floor more than any other game that I own, it just kicks a lot of A$$!!!!

Upvote 0
Re: Nazi Zombies vs. KF.

I haven't played as much NZ as some of my friends (who own a 360). And since you can't play split screen online, we only play offline. So that's the limit of my experience with it.

What Nazi Zombies lacks compared to KF is the RPG-esqe goodness. The latest NZ patch addressed this somewhat, by adding the ability to upgrade weapons multiple times.

What KF lacks compared to NZ is the crispness of the models and the animations. KF looks damn good, don't get me wrong, but NZ looks better.

Gameplay wise, I'd say KF wins out. KF offers you more variety in weapons, enemy types and level interactions. (NZ is winning out on the last but only after several patches and people complaining that just killing zombies in one building got boring.)

Again, I haven't had the full NZ online experience. But from what I've seen, KF looks like it's more fun in the long run (as fun as any of these "survive this!" type games can be).

They both amount to groups of people finding the most defensible place and camping until they're dead. I prefer KF's style of level design to NZ. In NZ I feel constrained because I know 90% of what I'm seeing is a backdrop. In KF the levels feel more realistic and less of a contrivance to spawn zombies in a way that is challenging to the player.

Upvote 0