• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supplies

How would this work in practice then? I think it sounds easy, but is a lot more tricky and difficult for devs to put into a game.

It could possibly be done in this way:

If the attackers encircle the defenders or block some vital roads (these can be capzones themselves) then as each new soldier spawns on the defenders' side he finds that he gets less ammunition and is warned that supplies are running low because the trucks cannot get through!

If the supplies are totally depleted then defenders automatically surrender. I think in the context of Stalingrad this is a very good multiplayer mode.

Please TWI read this suggestion and consider whether it is possible!

Upvote 0
Another fruit of thought:

Let some capzones have dynamic effects on the situation. For example if the Axis capture the warehouse they can select russian weapons in the loadout menu?

On larger maps if they capture or destroy a mortar position, that means no more arty for the other side (persistent effect).

This was probably done in RO:OST in one form or another. It will be more exciting if capzones have dynamic effects on the battlefield

Upvote 0
They should just let us use the mortar this time around for some indirect fire

I was always in favour of this. It adds a lot more decisions into the game.

my suggestion is for mortars to be operated by the A.I. on large maps and for the players to call in support in the usual way. However this time around, the mortar shells are finite + your mortar team can get attacked.

It all depends how large the maps will be. If we will have at least 2-3 square kilometres for a 50+ server then mortars make sense.

Upvote 0

Let some capzones have dynamic effects on the situation. For example if the Axis capture the warehouse they can select russian weapons in the loadout menu?

On larger maps if they capture or destroy a mortar position, that means no more arty for the other side (persistent effect).

This was probably done in RO:OST in one form or another. It will be more exciting if capzones have dynamic effects on the battlefield

is support the dynamic effects proposition.

Upvote 0
Idea!

Idea!

Well first I was thinking about actual physical trucks and ammo crates on the map, but then I had this new idea about capzones having dynamic effects.

I do not know how trucks and crates could work, how about this:

-For example in the centre of the map you have the defenders' base.

-The attackers are dispersed around it and are trying to cap it.

-Each time someone from the defenders dies and respawns he depletes the supplies by an x amount (this can depend on the weapon he is using)

-If a defender runs out of ammo, he can get to the crate in the base and rearm (this will deplete that same pot of ammo)

-Every now and then when supplies are low, the defenders get a radio call giving them the route by which a truck will arrive with supplies. They have to despatch a small team to defend the route.

-If a too many trucks are destroyed, and the defenders' run out of supplies they automatically surrender.

The above means that the attackers can win by (a) storming the base and capping it and (b) tracking down the trucks and destroying enough of them.

I think its a brilliant idea and definitely doable.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like ur dynamic caping thought Tiger2. It's a brilliant way to change the gameplay of a map in different ways.

It brings also much more the need of a real team fight, not several players makin kills as it is usually the way on pubs. Wars on such maps could bring a very realisitc and fun way to play a map like this one according to all the different strategies u could choose.

This could be very interesting. Hope TWI guyz will have a look on this, and i hope it's makeable in ROHOS, IF it isn't already done ^^

Upvote 0
WOW great idea! could really help in reducing NADE SPAM!!! if the supply only has ex amounts of grenades, we wouldnt see people always respawning with 2 more grenades to spam into choke points.

also smoke spam, mg resupplies, panzershrecks (i.e. thinking DH if they have them in HOS) etc.... a very good idea, hopefully TW as thought about this already or is reading this :)

Upvote 0
i wonder how possible it is to do as most battles in current ro are way smaller than the size you would need for encirlement and wearing down supplies. Especially as you play a map for maybe 30 mins max. You'd be surprised how much ammo would fit in a single truck.

I wonder how realistic it would be to run out of all ammo, and need to defend a supply truck possibly multiple times on the scale were actually playing.

Especially since most maps are linear based with basically allies supposed to be behind you. Which should be the location where the truck would be comming from in most cases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Now that would be kewl,,,

Upvote 0
i like the idea of linking ammo crates to objectives, when the obj is lost. you loose that ammo and the remaining ammo gets distributed over the amount of reinforcements left.

example:

axis team defends a map with 5 obj's and 3 stacks of ammo crates. the mapper can set how much total ammo each team gets, and wich dump has wich percentage of the total.

when they defend they only get ammo from the dump that is linked to the current obj. the ammo from that dump gets distributed to them when they spawn( eg: amount of clips and nades). the amount could be set by the commander, who has to find the best compromise between having enough ammo for the entire round, and giving enough fire power to his men when needed.
when you loose an obj with it's dump, then you loose that amount of ammo aswell. meaning that rapidly loosing the first obj's would mean you would have to completely change tactics.

on top of that it would be nice to have a soldier-level system, where each soldier could set that he wants: few, normal, or alot of ammo.
players with the highest lifetime scores get priority for the "alot" option, but everyone has to right for normal and few(selecting few, will allow those of your team who want/need more ammo to get it, like MG's or assaulters. but the amount each soldier gets will always depend on how much is left in the stack.

Upvote 0
i wonder how possible it is to do as most battles in current ro are way smaller than the size you would need for encirlement and wearing down supplies. Especially as you play a map for maybe 30 mins max. You'd be surprised how much ammo would fit in a single truck.

I wonder how realistic it would be to run out of all ammo, and need to defend a supply truck possibly multiple times on the scale were actually playing.

Especially since most maps are linear based with basically allies supposed to be behind you. Which should be the location where the truck would be comming from in most cases.

I see what you are saying Zetsumei, but if this would be purely cosmetical? (i.e. attackers have to destroy x number of trucks to win and trucks arrive every 5 minutes)

I think the settings and adjustments for this "Siege" mode (lets call it like that) are endless.

My example:

There is an encircled fortress in the centre of the map that needs to hold out until the end of the round. Lets say the time limit is 21 minutes. There are four different roads leading to it. An armored Hanomag comes every 7 minutes.

Host sets a rule: If the Hanomag is destroyed, defenders will not have MGs until the next arrival... OR defenders weapon loadouts will not be affected but 2 destroyed Hanomags mean defeat for them.

TWI can really look into this and see how best to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i don't think TW will go that far into fantasy scenario's, the real-time dynamic ammo thing is a good idea. though theres practically no chance they would add it lol, and the siege/ammo truck thing is completely out of whack.
though it could be fun, it is also a verry unlikely thing to happen in stalingrad, there were 100's of thousands of men in need for supplies. nobody would waste a single truck for 25 guys. and if they would, then the trucks would be used for getting them the hell out of there lol.

Upvote 0
I am having second thoughts about Zetsumei's statement.

Each time a rifleman respawns the supplies would be depleted by 50 bullets and 2 grenades. If you have a 25 v 25 match and after 10 minutes each player experienced 3 deaths, that is 75 deaths in total. That is 3750 bullets and 150 grenades. Resupplies would be needed I guess.

Upvote 0
Remember that those 75 soldiers entering the battlefield did not just get there without any ammo on them.

The resupplies are called resupplies for a reason. They are there to give ammo to the soldiers after they shot up their initial ammo carriage they started with.

Now new soldiers being shipped in could be a possibility but nobody sane would drive a truck through an area thats near the frontline, a seperate gamemode where you are behind the lines defending transporttrucks with the opponent team tryign to ambush you is something that i would find nice to have. But in the size of combat of regular missions it just doesnt make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0