• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AK47 Selector Lever...

Reise

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006
Maine, US
...Seems to be in the "safe" position on the world model, among other things. :(

Now I know you guys had a minor issue like this back in RO with the K98's safety tab so it's a little odd to see this sort of thing pop up again. A purely aesthetic issue though, but realistically (and I know we all love Tripwire for their attention to realism) our AK would be unable to cycle rounds or work the trigger in this setting. Also with the safety on, our heroes can't charge the bolt carrier more than half way during a reload. It's a little bit of a mess compared to the detail and accuracy of the other weapon designs. And to be really nit-picky, the spent casings coming from the weapon are a bit on the large side as well, they appear to be those used by the lever rifle.

Here's a photo of what I'm getting at:
akfireselector2.jpg

In this example, the selector in this position (on an AK with full and semi auto) would be set to fully automatic. This allows the bolt carrier to travel all the way backward past the top of the magazine to cycle a new round. If the selector was all the way down, it would be set to semi. Naturally with the selector all the way up like our "KF AK" has, it would be set to safe, and the selector physically prevents the full movement of the bolt carrier. The trigger would also be stopped by a guard that moves with the selector inside the receiver.

Unfortunately for me, however, I haven't been able to play KF since the character DLC was added due to a faulty video card, so I can't really say much past my observations in screenshots and videos. From what I can tell though, we all seem to agree the AK we have is some kind of variation, so I'll excuse the 74U-style front sight/gas block being stuck onto a full-sized AKM. ;)

My two cents. :D

Last edited:
Great contribution there, dextronaut. :rolleyes:

seriously man, ppl have already done the whole, "TWI, the AK does this and its not suppose to, and it does this but thats not real", there was a thread about it all, and it was closed.

the AK was free, and its very well done, aside from a few odd things which youve pointed out (theres a few other things aswell). but keep in mind the keyword, FREE.

Upvote 0
Well I'm not saying it absolutely has to be fixed. It's just a suggestion forum.

I posted this with Tripwire's attention to detail in mind, because similar things had been fixed in their games before.

To leave the AK as it is now would be like never fixing RO's K98 safety. It'd be a blemish on an otherwise excellent, polished and detailed game.

Upvote 0
seriously man, ppl have already done the whole, "TWI, the AK does this and its not suppose to, and it does this but thats not real", there was a thread about it all, and it was closed.

the AK was free, and its very well done, aside from a few odd things which youve pointed out (theres a few other things aswell). but keep in mind the keyword, FREE.

I think you need a vacation, Dex. You always seem to post in these AK threads to go "IT'S FREEEEEE!" and such.

The man was pointing out a minor issue. And from what I could see of the AK's world model it looks easy to fix since the majority of the detail of the AK seems to be pure texture.

I mean, look:
AgentWilkesAK4700.jpg

It'd be a matter of re-doing the texture so the lever is lowered.

Hell, if anyone's good with textures this could probably be fixed without dev involvement.

Upvote 0
I think you need a vacation, Dex. You always seem to post in these AK threads to go "IT'S FREEEEEE!" and such.

this is the first time ive posted in an AK thread to tell someone to quit whining about the realism of a free gun that was given to them for no reason other than to be nice.

you must be thinking of another Dex?

Upvote 0
quit whining about the realism of a free gun that was given to them for no reason other than to be nice

If you were the one doing these things for people, don't you think it would be nice if they could give you feedback? I mean, if you were shipping out cookies to everyone you knew, even if they were free, wouldn't you like to hear how good they were?

Overall the weapon is very nicely done. I especially liked the wire side-folder. But when you see detail like that it's immediately marred by a simple oversight like the weapon firing and functioning with the selector on safe.

Here's another image to show exactly what happens inside the AK as it fires. Note how far the bolt carrier travels:
ak47operation.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this is the first time ive posted in an AK thread to tell someone to quit whining about the realism of a free gun that was given to them for no reason other than to be nice.

you must be thinking of another Dex?

Maybe I am. It was someone with a similar looking signature. The tone of your post just matched his so much.

Upvote 0
With all due respect, the average player doesn't really care exactly what happens inside an AK when they fire it. They just want it to fire. And it does. I love the AK47.

Right, but obviously most people don't understand that the weapon is misrepresented the way it is now. No I'm not saying model everything inside the gun, I'm just showing you all why the lever should be moved.

The K98 safety was an even smaller detail that was changed in RO. It's not unreasonable to ask the same thing of another weapon with the same issue.

Upvote 0
Yes, and you pointed it out already. Maybe they'll fix it, maybe they won't. It's their call now.
Don't pay attention to those that just shoot down every suggestion for the sake of arguing.
Sometimes someone brings up a vlid point which you have to discuss, but if it's just the usual "why do you care, it's a game with zombies, lol" just ignore it.

Of course it's a mistake. Of course it should be fixed. Is it a minor issue? Yes. With that said, let TWI decide where to put it in their ToDo-list.

Upvote 0
Right, but obviously most people don't understand that the weapon is misrepresented the way it is now. No I'm not saying model everything inside the gun, I'm just showing you all why the lever should be moved.

The K98 safety was an even smaller detail that was changed in RO. It's not unreasonable to ask the same thing of another weapon with the same issue.
If not many mind it, why spend the time fixing it that could be spent on other, greater problems? Maybe once they have other tasks out of the way, they'll spare some time for it. Out of interest, how soon was the RO issue resolved after it being brought up?

Upvote 0
its an ak-74u, not an ak-47. not an assault rifle, but a sub machine gun. why hasnt anyone noticed this? "oh, the stocks all wrong bla bla bla" ... god forbid anyone notices the barrel :/

its an ak74u submachine gun. and i love it ^_^

You are doublewrong.

An AK-74U (which actually doesn't exist, but I'll humour you because it's clear you get your gun knowledge from CoD4) is not a submachinegun.

Secondly, it's not an AKS-74U, the existent version of the AK-74U, but just a weirdass hybrid of a Romanian carbine sidefolder (stock, barrel length) and a Chinese Type 56 (hooded front sight). TWI just made it up, more or less.

Phew, I thought I was on 4chan for a second there.

Upvote 0