• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HUD Design For Realism Gaming

Hoak

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2006
One of the most immersion breaking features in games are HUD overlays, this isn't just an aesthetic consideration, it's one that involves the mechanics of how we see and interpret depth information.

In the case of flat projected real-time 3D, the visual cues we use to get depth information are easily confused hence popular optical illusions like Escher's Cube, morrie pattern illusions, apparent parallax illusions etc. -- the U.S. Navy as spent billions on HUD R&D for simulators and aircraft due to the obvious costs of failure being much higher.

Simply put: any HUD element projection on screen is an eye-brain depth cue breaker and any HUD element that has 3D information or art of it's own, even more so; the elements confuse your brain as you perception shifts from the overlay to light, apparent size, and other depth and distance cues in the 3D scene.

You can easily illustrate this for yourself with any high quality game screen-shot with the HUD on and off -- the static screen-shot will look flat and more like a comic book cell with HUD overlays on, the scene will 'pop' with them off, and the effects are even more dramatic in real-time.

As said there's been a lot invested in HUD R&D, and anyone motivated can peruse an enormous volume of information in any U.S. public library in the Government Documents Department; but some summery conclusions pertinent to games and simulators is that all HUD elements confuse and break depth cues, and to minimize this effect all HUD elements should:

Last edited:
Until you can look down at your ammo pouches with TracKIR, the HUD isn't going anywhere. In RO the only HUD information you need is the sprint bar and magazine counter. The sprint bar could even be eliminated with an audio queue of the player breathing heavily when tired and more softly when they have rested enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hackel
Upvote 0
You need to give the player information that he would know IRL. How else should you know where you are wounded etc? I agree with that stamina thingy, you could easily hear when your character is out of breath, but thats not possible with wounds or ammo count. Still, one should keep the HUD as small as possible, not giving you too much information and clustering the screen.

Upvote 0
Showing only the parts of the hud that you need is already a good step in the direction.
Even in ro you can at the moment disable the hud, you simply dont need most of it as pretty much all functions beside the magazine count got audio cues.

Nobody knows how the hud will look like (as the alpha used icons from the roost hud), but twi always wanted to show as little on a hud as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah but if you disable all that stuff you wont miss a thing thats what i tried to say. They were added on but can be removed from the menu.

You cannot see what others have selected, and by disabling them you're not at a disadvantage either. So just disable it for yourself and dont bother with it too much.

If things have to be made accessible its in these areas they can change the most without changing my personal experience of playing the game.

Upvote 0
I have to say that personally I've never considered it important to know where I've been hit. In OST it simply doesn't matter - so why bother with the indicator at all? You're either fine, or dead.

In HOS this is going to be a bit more meaningful because we have a wider range of wound effects and bleeding/slow death effects - although to be honest I doubt a seasoned player will need this display - penalties can be felt, and bleeding has a visual effect so there is existing feedback for this anyway.

Upvote 0
I have to say that personally I've never considered it important to know where I've been hit. In OST it simply doesn't matter - so why bother with the indicator at all? You're either fine, or dead.

Wrong.

leg hit, you limp, arm hit you dont die. Foot shot . . . .

Rifle to the body or head yes . . but i like to know why im limping.

What about when you fall down a cliff and hurt your legs. . . nice to know your gonna be limping before you stand up to run for cover . . in real life i would know my legs are borked so the game tells me. More reralistic than guessing imo.

Upvote 0
Yeah but the way the gaydar is being propounded -- it doesn't sound like this is going to be a feature thats off in the realism mode.

:(
Firstly, as we've said a couple of times elsewhere - it isn't an all-seeing radar. Secondly - WE haven't "propounded" anything much about it yet, so you might want to reserve judgement until we do! Nor have we stated what would be on/off in the various realism modes...

Upvote 0